Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Purchased '05 CVO Fat Boy Motor/Trans Assembly  (Read 974 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Purchased '05 CVO Fat Boy Motor/Trans Assembly
« on: January 17, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »

Hello all.

I finally found a motor for my Harley powered car project.  It's an '05 Fat Boy CVO still mounted in the frame without any mount damage etc.

During a bit of cleaning after I lifted it out of the back of my SUV with my cherry picker, I see that the powder coating is flaking off the crankcase in spots.  It also has some discoloring grunge on the fins etc.  I really wanted a black motor for my car project, but with this motor over purchasing an '02 "B" black motor, I already start out with 103".

So is there a good way to clean the motor cases and possibly remove the powder coating?  I guess I'm not apposed to complete disassembly of the motor and have it powder coated, but I would much rather just black wrinkle finish it assembled.  I've had some good experiences in the past with bare aluminum and wrinkle paint.

Any suggestions?

If I leave it silver, I will still have to do some major touch up to make it look better AND after some nylon brush work on the fins, they do not seem to be coming completely clean.  So more work in the scrubbing would have to be done, or different cleaning fluid possibly?

Thanks and hope to see some great ideas... :)

PS: It has Progressive shocks and all the other items, trans, primary etc will need to be sold at some time down the road if anyone is interested.  After it's all stripped, I will post in the for sale forum, but just wanted to let everyone know up front if any of this stuff is needed.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Purchased '05 CVO Fat Boy Motor/Trans Assembly
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »

Stained powdercoat is almost impossible to return back to original color. If you have the time, take it apart, have one of the major powder companies do it in the color you want. The options for colors and finishes has changed so much in the last ten years that the options are endless. In order to apply color over the top of what you currently have you would have to remove all "soaked in" oil/dirt etc and then abrate the surface to make it stick and it is almost impossible to clean between and then scuff between the fins. Modern powdercoat guys will clean and color without damage.
I say take it apart, change the color and make it special.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »

HD does make engine colored high heat paint in all the colors including the matte silver . It works surprisingly well. It isn't something to use for a full on paint job but for touch ups it works fine.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/touch-up-paint-pa-15-98606by--1?source_cd=SEM_Shop_PLA&_cr=ssc%7cGOOGLE%7cSmart_Shopping_All_Products%7c&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9orxBRD0ARIsAK9JDxSdktcE00fuhAP6mhzRsFSw6V7oQscxPlK465TTSRTUb-SeZCvEDUMaAkZ7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 03:14:08 PM »

HD does make engine colored high heat paint in all the colors including the matte silver . It works surprisingly well. It isn't something to use for a full on paint job but for touch ups it works fine.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/touch-up-paint-pa-15-98606by--1?source_cd=SEM_Shop_PLA&_cr=ssc%7cGOOGLE%7cSmart_Shopping_All_Products%7c&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9orxBRD0ARIsAK9JDxSdktcE00fuhAP6mhzRsFSw6V7oQscxPlK465TTSRTUb-SeZCvEDUMaAkZ7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

WOW they don't give that stuff away do they... :(  But it may be a lesser of two evils in the long run.  It will depend on how the motor actually looks once it's torn apart from the tranny etc.

It may end up being a complete tear down as that would also allow a bit of inspection on the motor to make sure it's in good to go condition.  I would have a chance to inspect the lifters/cam and re-ring it for sure.  The place I bought it from in IN said that he took the cam chest cover off and it had gear drive cams and they were marked with HD so not knowing, he assumed that as it is a Screamin' Eagle motor that it also had SE gear drive cams from the factory.  He's an old school boy and I had a bit of an issue getting through to him that just because it was a SE bike, it did NOT have all SE innards etc.

So I have it now and it's on a dolly to roll around in my garage and after the Boardtrack is done and gone, I'll start on the Harley powered car project.

Thanks to you both for your thoughts and suggestions.  Have a great weekend.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 06:54:25 AM »

Harley Davidson do not make gear drive cams I don't think

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »

I've not looked yet in the cam chest, so I cannot confirm what the guy told me.  With his lack of Twin-Cam knowledge, it's highly possible it's some other make of gear drive cam set.

Thanks and have a great Sunday!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »

Not for the Twin Cam.  Gear drive for Twin Cam were all aftermarket.  S&S or Feuling were/are the common suppliers.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.