Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: IMPORTANT -- PUT THIS IN YOUR MEMORY BANK  (Read 2036 times)

08SEUltra

IMPORTANT -- PUT THIS IN YOUR MEMORY BANK
« on: June 12, 2009, 09:07:20 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread regarding a hesitation I was experiencing on my 2008 SE Ultra:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=37270.0.  Well, I just returned from a 1700 mile round trip to Charleston, SC with some great stops along the way.  My first 2 days were very difficult, with the hesitation increasing whenever I rolled on or off the throttle:  not just from stops but also at 75 mph.  Restarting with a hot engine also became difficult.  Very unsettling.  Anyway, the people at Carolina Coast Harley Davidson stepped up big time.  Ben Johnson in the service department heard my description over the phone and said they would take me right away as they wouldn't want me to ride that way.  Long story short:  they found a broken wire under intact insulation.  This wire was causing an engine sensor to periodically misread the operating temperature so that it might tell the management system the engine was cold when in fact it was at 240 degrees.  They figured this out by listening to my description and then wiggling the wires while the engine was running and hooked up to a computer.  I had the bike back in 4 hours, all under warranty.  To be safe, they also replaced the temperature sensor as they feared it might have been compromised as well.  The bike now runs perfectly with much improved mileage.  I have a feeling somebody else is going to run into this problem, so keep this in mind.  It was not easy to find and my home dealer sent me on my way without fixing it (they cleaned the injectors).  Also, remember Carolina Coast Harley and Ben Johnson in service:  fantastic people who renewed my faith in the brand.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: IMPORTANT -- PUT THIS IN YOUR MEMORY BANK
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:16:43 PM »

FYI, they're in Wilmington, NC and not Chas., SC

08SEUltra

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:48:52 PM »

I should have been more clear:  I was on my way to Charleston, SC when I had the bike serviced at Carolina Coast Harley Davidson, Rt. 17, Wilmington, NC. 

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 10:15:03 PM »

I should have been more clear:  I was on my way to Charleston, SC when I had the bike serviced at Carolina Coast Harley Davidson, Rt. 17, Wilmington, NC. 

Didn't mean to be a wiseass.
There are two of us in the Chas. area. MIKEYTEE & myself. Let us know the next time you're in town.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 07:58:16 AM »

Always nice to hear about a stealer that steps up... good for them, that's what service is all about! :2vrolijk_21:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 08:07:40 AM »

FYI, they're in Wilmington, NC and not Chas., SC

They own a bunch of dealerships, including the one in J'Vegas (Jacksonville, NC) - good folks.

tcb62

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »

I live in the Wilmington area and I am glad to hear you had a great experience at the dealership.  I still have to bring mine in for the 1000 mile service.  8)
TCB62

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 04:42:12 AM »

While reading your post it reminded me about a similar thing that happened to a non HD bike I had about 35 years ago. It was a twin with an intermittent miss on one cylinder. (at the time I was doing basket cases for money while in college) I had the engine running in the garage at night  with the generator and wiring exposed when my friend accidentially shut off the garage light. Well there it was, you could see the spark jump across inside the insulation. We cut the wire and made the repair and the bike ran fine. Just a little trip down memory lane for me, but maybe shutting off the garage lights could help someone else find a short. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.