Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Changed over primary oil "plus"  (Read 5541 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Changed over primary oil "plus"
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »

Checked the primary chain tension the other day and found it to have gotten tight again so I did my oil change over a little sooner than expected. When I drained out the oil and removed the primary cover all seemed good. No side movement on the clutch hub or comp. no bits of bugs in the oil just the normal clutch paste.

Changed to ATF synthetic with some ATF Lube Guard Premium.
I noticed a difference straight away. No clunk going into first just a quick click and "N"  is a just a slightest tap to slip in and the clutch drag is all but gone.

Today I was out and started to hear some whining from the primary. Thought to myself that's that chain noise.
I got home and pulled the dobie and sure enough the chain was tight again.

The only thing I can think of is the motor gets a little cranky on starting up sometimes and misfires, not sure why, but I think the misfire allows the adjuster to move up.
Whatever the case I've now ordered up a Hayden M6 BT07 tensioner and get rid of HD stock tensioner.

Other than that the ATF synthetic has made an improvement on clutch drag and shifting so far. I'll see how it goes after I get some miles on it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:28:44 PM by longlast »

Kay9Cop

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AK

Re: Changed over primary oil "plus"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »

I didn't think ATF was the recommended lubricant for the primary.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »

No, but it works quite well with wet clutches (automatic transmissions have several internal wet clutches).  I've been running it for many years in my Harley without issue, and as noted in the OP it does improve the clutch drag problem significantly.  Harley only recommends fluids they sell, so just because they don't recommend it doesn't mean it won't function well.  Remember, for many years they also recommended against using synthetic motor oil, implying it would cause bearings to skate and gaskets to leak like a sieve.  Magically they changed their tune on synthetic motor oil the same day they started selling SYN-3.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 12:08:19 PM »

X-2, Compensators need at least a GL 1 ( extreme pressure )rated lube. Formula plus is GL 3 , Redline Primary fluid is GL5 . The "old " 05 & prior compensators didn't care what you put in because they got oil   As we all know the '06   and later compensators  get virtually no oil and what little they do get you want to be at least GL1 rated, not ATF.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:24:35 AM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »

I use Redline Primary fluid. After trying ATF as suggested by Rivera.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 12:42:28 AM »

X-2, Compensators need at least a GL 1 ( extreme pressure )rated lube. Formula plus is GL 3 , Redline Primary fluid is GL5 . The "old " 05 & prior compensators didn't care what you pit in because they got oil   As we all know the '06   and later copensators  get virtually no oil and what little they do get you want to be at least GL1 rated, not ATF.

The compensator was a concern so in my research of ATF I found the following product would help give the compensator the lube protection

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-304/LUBEGARD+PLATINUM+Universal+ATF+Protectant

Along with the synergol performance results

http://www.lubegard.com/SynergolTMS.aspx#

As stated the stock compensator is starved of sufficient oil to begin with so this product should help prolong it's life.
I've had my compensator apart and it's in good condition, no ridging of excessive wear just smooth shiny contact points.
I'll give it till next oil change (if it makes it that long) and see how it works. If it's no good it's not a big deal as I'd have to be changing the comp at some point anyway if I was to carry on using the recommended 20w50

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 06:00:01 PM »

I use Redline Primary fluid. After trying ATF as suggested by Rivera.

Yep same here! That's  the old MTL. re branded REdline Primary fluid. It's   GL 5 rated. 5w30 viscosity
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:42:57 AM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Changed over primary oil "plus" (update)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 11:01:02 PM »

It's been over a month now since the change over to ATF synthetic with ATF Lube Guard Premium in the primary.

I find it to be working well. Putting it into first gear is much smoother just a click instead of that heavy bang plus no more forward lounging from clutch drag.
The compensator and clutch are stock from 07 with 21k on them.
I'll see what it all looks like when I pull the primary case off at the next 5k oil change to do an inspection.
I've been told I could go as far as 20k before changing the ATF. Don't know, but don't much care for the idea of that much more clutch muck building up in the oil. Think I'll stick to the 5k change anyway.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 06:39:40 AM »

Good idea to change primary oil at 5k, lots of particulate there.  Will be interested to read your report on the ATF and on your new tensioner. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

stevieb1973

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 09:32:59 AM »

seen this thread so thought it would be a hood place to start. ive ran amsoil 20/50 for a month now in my primary, and hate it. don't know what to put in it now, thinking about mobile 1 . hope to get some good ideas from this forum.
2007 flhrse3 110

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »

Mobil 1 motor oil isn't very clutch friendly.  If you stick with motor oil, look for JASO MA2 rating.

I'd suggest trying the Red Line primary oil.  It's lighter weight than 20w-50 motor oil.

quicked

• quicked
  • Junior CVO Member
  • GOTTA RIDE
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 inferno orange flstse
    • CVO2: 2009 electric orange fltrse3
    • CVO3: 2005 cherry seeg,sold 1994 black,polish and chrome FATBOY 117 CUSTOM S&S SIDEWINDER,BAKER TORQUEBOX,CHAINDRIVE
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 12:25:06 PM »

I use mobil1 synthetic dexron in all my scoots with combined mileage of well over 100000,i ride hard and fast,shifts smooth,primarys and chains look fine,no complaints
09 fltrse3, custom hicomp124,,s&s flywheel,axtell cyl,,redshift 647 cams.s&s lifters,roller rockers,jims titanium pushrods.weldedported heads,s&s lifter pushrods,feuling beehive springs,s&s tc3 oilpump cam plate,se 5.3 inj,se 58mm tbody,baker grudgebox,barnett clutch,aims vp,diamondeng race fastnrs,thundermax,d&d boarzilla,2010 flstse,SE10.5 pistons,ported heads,s&s pshrdslifters,rollrrockers,woodscamstw9b6,SE6.2inj,hpi55tbody,barnettclutch,diamondeng race fasteners ,pm calipers,rb race header

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »

I've been running ATF synthetic with ATF Lubegard Platinum. The longer I'm running it the more I'm liking it.

Shifts easy "N" is easier to get into. The first gear compensator clonk is now a first gear click.

Sitting a lights in "N" then going into first is a click. The ATF synthetic with ATF Lubegard Platinum has sold me for now.

I haven't drained the oil or pulled the primary case cover yet to inspect the condition of the oil and components I need a few more miles on it before I do.

So far there's no comparison the ATF synthetic beats using 20w50 oil 💯%  for me anyway.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 10:45:26 PM »

seen this thread so thought it would be a hood place to start. ive ran amsoil 20/50 for a month now in my primary, and hate it. don't know what to put in it now, thinking about mobile 1 . hope to get some good ideas from this forum.
Amsoil Synthetic V-Twin Primary Fluid.  (i'm sensing a pattern here, lol.)
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »

Forget the idea of using motor oil in all three (or even two) holes.  Use a good full synthetic motor oil in the engine, a 75w90 gear lube in the transmission, and your choice of clutch friendly lubes in the primary.  ATF is what I've used for years (Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF), more traditional choices would be Formula+ or one of the 80 weight gear oils like Red Line MTL.  There are lots of choices, and as long as you choose one that is fully compatible with your wet clutch you should be good to go. 

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 25 queries.