Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rocker housing leak where it mates to head  (Read 696 times)

AZSERK

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

Rocker housing leak where it mates to head
« on: January 11, 2020, 02:29:44 AM »

03 FLHRSEI2, Just discovered a leak on the front cylinder, left hand corner, where the rocker housing meets the head.  Leaks enough to spread over 3 or 4 fins after a 20 minute ride.
What tools will I need to remove both the cover(s) and the housing(s) to replace both gaskets, the inner o-ring(s) and the breather assembly's?  And, can this repair be done with the engine in the frame, by removing the fuel tank? 

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Rocker housing leak where it mates to head
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 06:32:06 AM »

Just had the same issue. Replaced all the gaskets, O-rings, and breather assemblies on both cylinders (figured I might as well do both while I had the tank moved because the other one will probably start leaking at some point).

You might as well put some rocker lockers in while you’ve got it apart and they’re only $15 on EBay. I recommend using the Rockout brand because he gives you an extra sleeve (in case you mess one up) plus his kit includes the O-ring that goes under the breather assembly.  Plus John is a great dude and answers email questions day or night.

You’ll need just basic hand tools and a torque wrench but it will be a lot easier if you have an old socket that you can grind down to fit the rocker bolts inside the rocker boxes.  I grinded one down so that it just covered the bolt head.  Also you’ll need torque adapters to torque the top bolts on the left side, make sure you use them at 90 degrees so it doesn’t change the torque of the wrench.

One other thing, you don’t have to remove the tank, you can unhook the efi line (quick release) and take the spark plug wires out of the coil and move the tank back and up (put a thick towel between the tank and frame to keep it lifted).

If you PM me I can send you detailed instructions as to what I did (I’m OCD so I meticulously planned my attack before I started).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:47:18 PM by SIKBIRD »

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 24 queries.