Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Speedometer is not right  (Read 14365 times)

hutch4

• IL

• CVO1: 2014 Limited CVO
Speedometer is not right
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »

I have a CVO limited. A few weeks ago we were on a ride with some friends. At one stop my friend and I were talking and I had about ten more miles than he did in about 225 miles. Then I checked the odometer against mile markers. Every 23 miles I gained one mile. Then I checked the speedometer. I set the cruise at 72 and timed the miles. By the clock I was going 68 mph. I talked with the dealership and they are checking into it but had no knowledge of this problem. We'll see what they figure out. I'm curious if anyone else has the same issue.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Speedometer is not right
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »

I think we all have that problem... Was the friend you were riding with on a Harley? Mine is off just about the same
Alan

hutch4

• IL

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:17:26 PM »

My friend was on a 2013 Harley trike.

dankwiz

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:06:24 AM »

you can check your speed vs. the speedo using the GPS in the infotainment system

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »

you can check your speed vs. the speedo using the GPS in the infotainment system

This is secondhand info, but I've also heard that the GPS speedo is populated by the same ecu speedo sensor. 

Updating the speedo calculation via a flash tuner such as TTS or PV should correct both.  Otherwise, they're historically 6-10% off.
Big Lew
IBA #595

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 08:22:07 AM »

Speedometers are set 6% faster than your actually going. :nixweiss: you can correct it like I did (on the same bike I have) with a TTS tuner. Now mine is right on.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:27:25 AM by Fireguy »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »

This is secondhand info, but I've also heard that the GPS speedo is populated by the same ecu speedo sensor. 

Updating the speedo calculation via a flash tuner such as TTS or PV should correct both.  Otherwise, they're historically 6-10% off.

Never heard that one before Lew.  Usually the speed shown on a GPS unit is calculated from satellite data by the GPS unit itself, and doesn't use the vehicle speed sensor data at all.  That is definitely true for the portable types like the Garmin, Magellan, etc., and it was true on the automotive factory installed units I was familiar with in the past.   :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »

Like I said, it was secondhand info.  I don't have any way to defend it.  Food for thought, at best...

My plan is for a 2015 FLHTK and also run my z660.  :) 
Big Lew
IBA #595

GWN

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 12:18:55 PM »

Hi folks. New guy here. I just finished fixing this on my 2014 CVO LTD this weekend, so this is firsthand information. I have a handheld gps that I have compared to a few of my buddies' and am confident that is fairly accurate. My speedo and my infotainment speed are matched at every speed, and both were reading about 4.5% high to my handheld gps. I used my TTS tuner to increase my impulse count by 4.5% and now both my speedo and my screen speed are within .5 km/hr (.3 mph) of my handheld gps. This would seem to confirm that the infotainment speed is not gps generated.

hutch4

• IL

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »

Thanks guys for the information. I'm going to take this and share it with my dealer. I do have a sest on the bike. I need to compare it with infotainment system.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »

Hi folks. New guy here. I just finished fixing this on my 2014 CVO LTD this weekend, so this is firsthand information. I have a handheld gps that I have compared to a few of my buddies' and am confident that is fairly accurate. My speedo and my infotainment speed are matched at every speed, and both were reading about 4.5% high to my handheld gps. I used my TTS tuner to increase my impulse count by 4.5% and now both my speedo and my screen speed are within .5 km/hr (.3 mph) of my handheld gps. This would seem to confirm that the infotainment speed is not gps generated.

No, I didn't pay him to day that!  But I might owe him a :drink:
Big Lew
IBA #595

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 05:07:21 PM »

I have a CVO limited. A few weeks ago we were on a ride with some friends. At one stop my friend and I were talking and I had about ten more miles than he did in about 225 miles. Then I checked the odometer against mile markers. Every 23 miles I gained one mile. Then I checked the speedometer. I set the cruise at 72 and timed the miles. By the clock I was going 68 mph. I talked with the dealership and they are checking into it but had no knowledge of this problem. We'll see what they figure out. I'm curious if anyone else has the same issue.

Every Harley I've owned has had the same problem.  The speedo reads about 4mph faster than actual speed at highway speed.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

GWN

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 01:48:38 PM »

No, I didn't pay him to day that!  But I might owe him a :drink:
Ha. Thanks Lew! If we ever get down to your neck of the woods I'll look you up. I do get thirsty sometimes.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »

Ha. Thanks Lew! If we ever get down to your neck of the woods I'll look you up. I do get thirsty sometimes.
:2vrolijk_21:

:drink:
Big Lew
IBA #595

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »

I noticed my speedo was off 4 MPH. I used the GPS to prove the speed was off. I also noticed that when sitting still the speedo was sitting at 4MPH! The dealer replaced the speedo and it now matches the GPS perfectly at all speeds! Let the dealer replace the speedo and you will probably be good to go.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.