Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: 2004 SEEG CAM TENSIONERS  (Read 4131 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2004 SEEG CAM TENSIONERS
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 07:29:16 PM »

People tend to think about that too hard sometimes Tony.  Just do the obvious.  Submerge the lifters in delicious fresh oil and let them bathe overnight.  They'll be very content that way. 

When it comes time to adjust just make sure the lobes are down.  Then extend the pushrods until you've just removed the lash.  Once you know you're happily touching at both ends then adjust as per the requirements of your pushrods.  The number of turns can vary depending on the threads per inch of the adjustable section of different manufacturers pushrods.

Everyone has adjusted hydraulic lifters on old small block Chevys (haven't they).  Think of it like that.  You're tightening to the point of no slack then adjusting to spec.

If you run out of hands holding multiple wrenches and keeping the pushrod tubes up out of the way get a rubber band and a paper clip.  Use that to hold up the pushrod tube.

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 07:39:52 PM »

I ordered the screamin eagle pushrods the instructions seem pretty straight forward.
I’m going to mark the outside of the cams with a sharpie so I can reference the base circle on each without just spinning the back wheel around and around

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 07:56:03 PM »

I ordered the screamin eagle pushrods the instructions seem pretty straight forward.
I’m going to mark the outside of the cams with a sharpie so I can reference the base circle on each without just spinning the back wheel around and around

Or.... if turning the back wheel is a pain in the arse (to me it is) pull the primary cover (if you haven't already).  It's a lot easier and a lot more precise just turning the compensator nut with the tranny in neutral.  Plus while doing that you're close enough to watch pushrods go up and down.

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 10:21:19 PM »

I thought about that while I was changing the compensating sprocket but I already put the primary back together.

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2021, 01:52:15 PM »

Getting there

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2021, 02:51:14 PM »

Not saying you did it wrong but my service manual says the punch marks should be lined up…just don’t want you having any issues when you go to fire it up

On second look, they may well line up when they rotate around, idk?

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 04:12:34 PM »

Yeah they were lined up when I put them on, I have rotated the engine

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2021, 04:31:07 PM »

I also have a question about priming the oil pump before I start the engine. I know on a car or pretty much any other engine do you prime the oil pump before you start it. How would you go about that? Just fill the engine with oil and rotate the back wheel so the pump begins to pump

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2021, 05:39:11 PM »

On an old Evo you could effectively prime the pump (a little).  Nothing you can do in the cam chest on the Twin Cam though.  You could try prefilling the oil filter; but you'll make a mess and lose most of it.  Just be liberal with the assembly lube on all the surfaces.  I use Permatex 81950.  That red chit is your friend.  But that or any of the several comparable products are a must use.  Aside from that just pull the spark plugs and spin it over a bit to be cautious.  They pick up oil very quickly though.  So you'll be fine.

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2021, 06:16:20 PM »

What about filling the cam chest with oil, you know pour it in through the lift or more once the cover is on

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2021, 07:13:25 PM »

Would drain through to the sump anyway.  Just be liberal with the assembly lube.  It'll clack a bit on first fire but it'll be fine.  Those gerotor pumps are an idea that's older than any of us here but, shorting of incorrect assembly order, they really can't not work.  You'll be fine.

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2021, 10:53:59 AM »

Getting closer

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2021, 03:24:23 PM »

And it’s done!
I know I shouldn’t think so, because I only changed the cam plate, pushrods and lifters, but I swear it feels like it has more power.
Thanks for all the info, it made a difference.
Running around 40lbs of oil pressure now.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2021, 04:34:44 PM »

And it’s done!
I know I shouldn’t think so, because I only changed the cam plate, pushrods and lifters, but I swear it feels like it has more power.
Thanks for all the info, it made a difference.
Running around 40lbs of oil pressure now.

That's good to read.  Glad you got it knocked out.  Getting the original cam bearings, pushrods, and tensioners replaced are very worthwhile services to have done on that engine.  Even if you didn't have the familiarity with the type to be cognizant of them before you don't have to have them in the back of you mind moving forward.  Now you can just ride the bike and know you're good.  :drink:

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2021, 06:56:38 PM »

So I finally got a chance today to ride the bike, runs great I’m clipping along about 70 and I noticed little drops of moisture on my glasses. I’m thinking it’s condensation somebody’s air conditioner I was on the interstate or I should say a four-lane highway. The further I ride the moron notice the drops on my glasses. I come to a stoplight and I just happened to look down and there’s oil pouring out of the rocker box and I can see part of the rocker cover gasket. So now I’m thinking that the oil pressure has blown the gasket out. I’ll make it to a parking lot and I called my business partner to come pick me up with a trailer. While I’m waiting I’ll start looking at the rocker cover. That’s when I noticed that I have put the rocker cover gasket on upside down on the front cylinder and that’s why it’s leaking oil. So tomorrow I will fix the gasket, I figure it won’t take me but about an hour if that but I’m definitely gonna have to wash all the oil off my bike. But It runs like a champ! And I didn’t lose enough boiled or heard anything it’s still about midway on the dipstick, lesson learned always check your gas gauge before you’re done
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.