Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery change/gasket  (Read 5371 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Battery change/gasket
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »

Finally had to change the battery on the 06 V-Rod. First time I've dug into it. The air cleaner is beneath what looks like the gas tank of course. So, had to remove that, remove the air filter, then three sacrews on each velocity stack, then lift off the bottom tray of the airbox. There's a gasket between the air box and the injector body. When I lifted it off, the gasket tore. Besides the one tear, the gasket is in good shape.

My question is, would you change the gasket or just install it? I probably already know the answer. $2 (OK, its HD, probably $20) gasket, and a $6,000 engine...

Would you install a new gasket?  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:14:31 PM by HogBreath »
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Battery change/gasket
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »

Finally had to change the battery on the 05 V-Rod. First time I've dug into it. The air cleaner is beneath what looks like the gas tank of course. So, had to remove that, remove the air filter, then three sacrews on each velocity stack, then lift off the bottom tray of the airbox. There's a gasket between the air box and the injector body. When I lifted it off, the gasket tore. Besides the one tear, the gasket is in good shape.

My question is, would you change the gasket or just install it? I probably already know the answer. $2 (OK, its HD, probably $20) gasket, and a $6,000 engine...

Would you install a new gasket? 

What the hell is a sacrew?!?!  And why do you need three of 'em?

I thought you sold that bike? 

I'm so confused.....

What does the Mrs. say about the gasket?  Could just be smart and do what she says :2vrolijk_21: .

Does the gasket keep air from getting in to the intake stream beyond the air filter?  If not, and if Cheri says it's ok, don't worry about it.  If so, and if it's just a straight crack, dab it with a bit of RTV.  But only if she says it's ok.  After all, it's Sunday and you can't buy gaskets on Sunday.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »

What the hell is a sacrew?!?!  And why do you need three of 'em?

I thought you sold that bike?  

I'm so confused.....

What does the Mrs. say about the gasket?  Could just be smart and do what she says :2vrolijk_21: .

Does the gasket keep air from getting in to the intake stream beyond the air filter?  If not, and if Cheri says it's ok, don't worry about it.  If so, and if it's just a straight crack, dab it with a bit of RTV.  But only if she says it's ok.  After all, it's Sunday and you can't buy gaskets on Sunday.

Well, I'll admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but, I've never worked on a bike I didn't have anymore.  ;D That would be dumber than even I am. So, no, I didn't sell the bike.

Yea, the gasket keeps air out between the air filter and the intake.

I asked JD, and she mumbled something that I couldn't understand, but judging by the tone of her voice, I decided to not say HUH?  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:59:56 PM »

but judging by the tone of her voice, I decided to not say HUH?  

Good man :drink: !

My married friends tell me that "HUH" can be a VERY EXPENSIVE word sometimes ??? .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »

Well, I'll admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but, I've never worked on a bike I didn't have anymore.  ;D That would be dumber than even I am.

Wait a minute!  Just realized something.  I do work on bikes I don't own...  Halfway regularly too.  Chit!  So I'm dumber than even I am?

I usually get beer for the effort :nixweiss: ?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 06:43:43 PM »

Well, you never did really answer, so I just got some RTV and put it back together.

A new gasket is a HD part. I'm pissed at HD right now. Went to the local shop yesterday, got SE syn3 oile, filters for three bikes, four fob batteries, a battery for the 09 RG, and a battery for the 06 V-Rod..Damn near $600. Dealer has always discounted 20%. HD stopped them. everything is list price now. But, I get this discount card that accumulates points. According to the parts man, HD can't track that. OK, so after buying $600 worth of overpirced parts, I ask how many points I accumulated. Almost $50! Almost 8%!

I guess they think we all just climbed off the tater wagon yesterday. Two little boxes of nothing.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 24 queries.