Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Draining old fuel  (Read 1772 times)

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
Draining old fuel
« on: March 02, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »

This probably sounds really dumb but......
2011 Convertible here.
I filled the tank back in November and have not touched the bike since. It is on a battery tender.
I want to drain all the old gas out and put in fresh gas before I start her.
What is the best technique do do this. I want to try not to spill any gas all over the place.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Draining old fuel
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »

This probably sounds really dumb but......
2011 Convertible here.
I filled the tank back in November and have not touched the bike since. It is on a battery tender.
I want to drain all the old gas out and put in fresh gas before I start her.
What is the best technique do do this. I want to try not to spill any gas all over the place.

Get an inexpensive syphon at an auto parts store and drain as much as possible into a gas can (or two or three depending on how much gas is in the tank and how big your gas cans are).  I've been able to get nearly all the gas out of my tank just with a syphon.  If you can't get every last drop out it isn't going to be a big deal and it certainly wouldn't be worth removing the tank from the bike to try to get the last drop. 

If you didn't do so last year, in the future try to remember to add a good fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas right before you put the bike down for the winter.  Run the engine long enough to distribute the stabilized fuel through the entire fuel system including lines, pump, and injectors.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 25 queries.