Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: For the Conn, Mass & Maine guys ???  (Read 5526 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
For the Conn, Mass & Maine guys ???
« on: May 28, 2007, 10:55:20 AM »

Hey guys,

3 years ago (06-29-04) 2 of our firefighters left Edison, NJ for a lobster lunch in Maine on their motorcycles. This would have been a typical ride for one of the guys.

On the upper deck of the George Washington Bridge one of the bikes was involved in an accident with a tractor trailer.

Brother F/F Sal Dattilo was killed in the accident.

We are planning a memorial for Sal. It will be a "finish the ride" event. We are planning on doing a run up to Maine with a stop on the GWB for a brief memorial.

What I am looking for is some info on decent place to get a "lobstah" dinner and then a reasonable place to stay overnight.
A straight run to the Maine border is about 310 miles, so I want to keep the rides end point near the southern border. I was looking on a map of the York Beach area. Good?

Any comments? Useful info?

I also would like to map this out avoiding the interstates. Had Sal and Frank kept to their original plan and stayed off the interstates he might be alive today. Plus, I want it to be a nice ride, little stress.
So rodes that are not interstates but move along would be good.

I was thinking about after the memorial heading back into Jersey and then up the Palisades Parkway, cross over into New York somewhere and then I am up for some travel routes.

Like I said, I want to avoid roads like 95 but I would like to keep the travel at a reasonable speed so we could get to Maine, checked in showered and head out for a true Maine lobster dinner.

This is not a private affair. Anyone wishing to join in for any or all of the ride is welcome.

Thanks for any help ideas you have.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 12:16:38 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: For the Conn, Mass & Maine guys ???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 11:32:47 AM »

DUANE
YOU KNOW SPIDERMAN IS THE "KING OF MAINE" AND WILL KNOW ALL THE LOBSTAH JOINTS FROM A TO Z.  ;D............ OK B B LET IT RIP.  :huepfenlol2:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:38:06 AM »

Duane,
I'm with Dave, BB is the one who will know the best place in that area.

Ed
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:48:29 PM by Special_Ed »
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:44:15 AM »

We have eaten here (about 2 years ago), it is right in the general area of your destination:

http://www.barnbilly.com/

Now, my sister is a Lobster Eating fiend and she and her husband were the ones that took us so I would say that it gets a thumbs up.  It comes across as a tourist trap but really was not bad.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:47:23 AM »

Also, from what I remember, York beach was not in great shape...but I could be wrong.

For lodging, were you thinking on the water or wherever you can get a cheap room?

/Bill

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:48:19 AM »

Note that Ongunquit has the same reputation as Provincetown

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:51:33 AM »

I also like riding the coastal route up from Hampton Beach to Portsmouth then 1A towards York.  Slower, but scenic.

/Bill

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 07:18:03 PM »

Hey guys,

3 years ago (06-29-04) 2 of our firefighters left Edison, NJ for a lobster lunch in Maine on their motorcycles. This would have been a typical ride for one of the guys.

On the upper deck of the George Washington Bridge one of the bikes was involved in an accident with a tractor trailer.

Brother F/F Sal Dattilo was killed in the accident.

We are planning a memorial for Sal. It will be a "finish the ride" event. We are planning on doing a run up to Maine with a stop on the GWB for a brief memorial.

What I am looking for is some info on decent place to get a "lobstah" dinner and then a reasonable place to stay overnight.
A straight run to the Maine border is about 310 miles, so I want to keep the rides end point near the southern border. I was looking on a map of the York Beach area. Good?

Any comments? Useful info?

I also would like to map this out avoiding the interstates. Had Sal and Frank kept to their original plan and stayed off the interstates he might be alive today. Plus, I want it to be a nice ride, little stress.
So rodes that are not interstates but move along would be good.

I was thinking about after the memorial heading back into Jersey and then up the Palisades Parkway, cross over into New York somewhere and then I am up for some travel routes.

Like I said, I want to avoid roads like 95 but I would like to keep the travel at a reasonable speed so we could get to Maine, checked in showered and head out for a true Maine lobster dinner.

This is not a private affair. Anyone wishing to join in for any or all of the ride is welcome.

Thanks for any help ideas you have.

My condolences for the loss of your bro. My cheers for your remembrance of him.

Lubstah shacks come and go on the Maine coast so it's hard to point you to one. The best ones are usually an old 10 x 50 trailer with a big hole in the side for a serving window. You can tell if theah wicked good by the cahs pahked out front.Also, if they have a wood deck in front of the serving window and some well worn picnic tables that's a good sign. If you want fried clams make sure you ask if they serve Harmon's Clams. Theah the best - - ayuh. The best way to have a Maine Lubstah roll is to make sure they grill your Nissan's Hotdog roll first than load that suckah up with chunks of Lubstah, a little mayo and some iceberg lettuce. None of that aguila weed or whatever they hell they put on a sandwich heah on the left coast. Your lubstah should be steamed and not boiled for no more than 22 minutes. Bout the same no matter they size. Finding a place that steams em is tough but doable. Close to the bordah theah's Yokum's which is sorta touristy, as well as the place Bill provided a link to. Further on up the rud a piece in Kennebunkport is some of the best places around, theah's one on the bridge call The Lobster Shack ( weird spelling LOL ) that Bush Sr and his family have been known to send the Secret Service on a take-out mission. So that's about it from me. Been a bit since I've been down that way so my info's most probably a bit dated, but if you follow my advice on the roadside trailer shacks you'll do good - heah ?

Ayuh nuthin like a good Maine Lubstah on a beautiful summer day.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 10:51:22 PM »

right in the general area of your destination: http://www.barnbilly.com/

Bill, looks good, not to far. I don't want to push these guys too much on the ride, most of them never do more then a 100 at a clip, and one of the brothers will be doing it on a V-Rod.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 10:52:46 PM »

York beach was not in great shape...but I could be wrong.

Meaning what?

For lodging, were you thinking on the water or wherever you can get a cheap room?

Nothing fancy, reasonable, even a B&B would be good.

MV 2013

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 10:58:17 PM »

Meaning what?

Seemed a little past it's prime when we rode through...especially compared to areas like hampton Beach.  Many of the buildings seemed in disrepair.

Nothing fancy, reasonable, even a B&B would be good.

If this is a weekend lodging will be tough...not sure I can recommend anything in particular but you may be better near the interstate at one of those motels.

/Bill

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 10:58:42 PM »

Ayuh nuthin like a good Maine Lubstah on a beautiful summer day.

You said a mouthful Brian.

I'm all for the trailer on the side of the road, but some of these guys like the fancy stuff too. Good thing is, we can do both!

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 11:03:11 PM »

Seemed a little past it's prime when we rode through...especially compared to areas like hampton Beach.  Many of the buildings seemed in disrepair.

If this is a weekend lodging will be tough...not sure I can recommend anything in particular but you may be better near the interstate at one of those motels.

/Bill

My current plan is for a Sunday night stay over.

Seems there are a lot of Hampton Beaches, which are you referring too?

Sunday is the travel day as I have arrangements with the Port Authority to close off one level of the GW bridge for us.

MV 2013

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 11:07:45 PM »

My current plan is for a Sunday night stay over.

Seems there are a lot of Hampton Beaches, which are you referring too?

Sunday is the travel day as I have arrangements with the Port Authority to close off one level of the GW bridge for us.

Southern NH...I just like cruising that stretch of coast.

http://www.hamptonbeach.org/

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 03:52:27 PM »

Southern NH...I just like cruising that stretch of coast.

http://www.hamptonbeach.org/

Good advice Bill, great cruisin area and the hotel rooms two streets back from the beach aren't that pricey even in season. Should be able let their nose lead em to good food at Hampton.

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 08:18:46 AM »

I’m not a true Mainer like Spiderman, but I have lived here in Southern Maine for 9 of my 20 years in New England and I'll try to help you out with this one.

I think the Seacoast area of New Hampshire is awesome, love the place generally, but Maine is Maine.  You've got to get your buds up here if they haven’t been.  It’s just not that much farther up the road from Hampton Beach.

I think you would do fine in York beach.  Longs sands area of York beach has hotels/motels and restaurants and that would be just fine.  That’s also a nice surfing beach when there are waves, and if so inclined you could rent a surfboard from Liquid Dreams surfshop (and a wetsuit) from Mark and give it a go.

Better yet in my opinion, not that much further just north on Route 1 is Ogunquit.  It’s touristy but, who cares, its beautiful.  Yes, there is a Provincetown component and its a family place too, everybody coexists peacefully, you know, the way life should be.  Barnacle Billys, I hear, is quite good.  My good friends used to own a B& B in that town and they often referred their guests to that restaurant for lobstah, and everyone was happy.  I cant speak from personal experience, but that’s a pretty good recommendation.

If you want an upscale sort of a hotel/motel, there is Sparhawks, where my friends daughter works.  It would probably cost about $100+ a night.  The Anchorage is another expensive place with great views of the ocean.

If you get on Route 1 in Ogunquit, and just head north for about 2 miles, you hit Wells, Maine.  There is a motel right on that route called USA.  Here is their website  http://www.usainn.com/index.html  My friends parents, who are now in their 80's, have been staying there for at least 20 years every year.  Its clean, cheap, close to everything, may be just the ticket.  Don’t quote me on this, but I believe Jakes is right next door, or very close.  My wife and I always stop there for some chowder or fried haddock when we are in the area.  Very small, simple, quickie place for some excellent fish, cant remember if they have lobster because I’m a haddock guy when Im out and steam my own lobster at home. Mikes Clamshack is another good seafood restaurant (more of a sit down and take your time sort of a place-family casual atmosphere) close by on Route 1 in Wells I believe.

Okay, once you guys get in, have your lobster, sleep.  Next day, a nice ride would be to head north on Route 1.  and then turn right on 35 to Kennebunkport.  That’s a little touristy too, but the Bush mansion is right there around the corner about 5 minutes on the coast, called Walkers point, anyone there could direct you, and its really a nice drive.  Another option and if you want to see the real deal, head north on Route 1 from Wells, keep driving north on Route 1, past Kennebunk, past Biddeford into Saco, Maine.  Go past the Saco river, you’ll pass Rosebud Tattoo parlor on your right still on route 1.  Two lights past that is Beach Road, route 9.  Turn right, east, heading towards the ocean.  You will be traveling about 2-3 miles when you come to a stop after seeing the Saco river to your right a few times, you come to a stop sign.  Small church on your right. Your in Camp Ellis which is in Saco.  Turn right and follow that road around and you will hit Saco river.  There is a loading dock there where the lobstermen unload their catch.  Restaurant right next to it is Huots.  That’s where the locals go here (and tourists too) and it is good.  Right from the ocean to your plate.

The picture below is of the loading dock in Camp Ellis taken by my daughter last week.  That is the mouth of the Saco river as it empties into the ocean at Saco bay.  You can rent a kayak there and kayak out to wood island, which has a light house on it.  It would be a great trip if you have time. 

Have a safe trip.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 08:42:02 PM »

Ongunquit

How the heck do you pronounce that?

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 08:43:20 PM »

I’m not a true Mainer ........................

Thanks, lot of good info.

We have picked Barnacle Billy's as the destination

I'll post my idea for a route, see what you guys think.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:25:04 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »

How the heck do you pronounce that?

its indian o-GUHN-kwit
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 09:54:39 PM »

I rode by Walkers point yesterday.  Just to make the directions there a little more clear, if you head up route 1 to Kennebunk, turn right onto 35.  Very nice ride thru a beautiful Southern Maine town.  When you get to the stop light about 5 miles down the road, turn left. (If you go straight and miss the turn, you go to Gooches beach, nice spot, about half a mile down the road-another surf spot). After you turn left you will pass the lobster shack mentioned by Spiderman, over a small bridge into Kennebunkport, turn right after the bridge at the very first street you can turn right onto.  I think its called Kings Highway (fitting huh).  Then you pass the marina on your right, then some small twisties thru some very pricey real estate, then the rocky Maine coast for a mile or so until you see the Bush compound on your right-only spot with a guardhouse.  Thats Walkers point (as in Barbara Walker Bush, George Walker Bush, etc). Then, as you go straight, follow the "to route 1 signs" and it will take you right back to route 1, hang a left and your on your way back to Wells/Ogunquit.  I'm guessing thats about an hours ride, or maybe an 1hour 15 minute ride from Wells-round trip. (when either Bush goes fishing, there are 3 cigarettes boats that go out, one for the pres, and the other two for secret service.  I can see them and hear them come into "my bay", Saco bay that is, with three giant water plumes and a fighter jet above cruising.

Another very nice ride, after you go over the bridge at Kennebunkport, keep going on Route 9 until you get to Cape Porpoise.  Turn right onto the cape, you will never see a more picturesque Maine seaspot.  There is a very nice restaurant, semipricey sitdown with an unbelievable view, or, down at the end of the cape, a sit outside spot (never eaten there, my wife wasn't crazy about that one when she last went last year).  You can keep heading out on route 9 until you hit Biddeford (or chitteford as some call it), older tired industrial town, turn left on Route 1 and head back.

As i write this I cant believe I just sold my house and I am leaving this place. Packing right now.

Ride safe and enjoy.

(picture of the light house on Wood Island i took last year below)
2005 Cherry SEEG-

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 02:14:54 PM »

Well Barnacle Billy's was a let down. I asked about reservations for a group, and they told me no way.

"Quick response,
Duane,
It is just a matter of economics, at that busy time of year, we cannot hold empty tables for a group. We don’t take reservations for any group.
Thanks again.
If your group came at odd hours there would be no problem.
Dawn"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 03:14:42 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 02:24:26 PM »

its indian o-GUHN-kwit

It's an artsy fartsy hang-out for New Yakkers with too much money and folks who probably spend winters in the Castro district of San Francisco. Wells and K-port are more eglatarian.

By the way, skip Old Orchard Beach if you get that far north. They are soooooooooooo anti-motorcycle in that town.

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 07:47:38 AM »

Well Barnacle Billy's was a let down. I asked about reservations for a group, and they told me no way.

"Quick response,
Duane,
It is just a matter of economics, at that busy time of year, we cannot hold empty tables for a group. We don’t take reservations for any group.
Thanks again.
If your group came at odd hours there would be no problem.
Dawn"

ALot of restuarants here do not take reservations, dont ask me why, its a Maine thing. Maybe thats what you ran into. As you travel north on route 1 there are multiple restuarants, esp in Ogunquit and Wells, and most serve lobster.  One way or another, youre gonna have some lobstah.

Also, if you begin any conversation with a New Englander with the words "yankees suck", you are more likely to get what you want.  You think Im kidding...
2005 Cherry SEEG-

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 07:50:06 AM »

By the way, skip Old Orchard Beach if you get that far north. They are soooooooooooo anti-motorcycle in that town.

Very true.  They really really dont like loud pipes there. However, they now have there own motorcycle officer on a HD.  He waves too.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 08:09:50 AM »

Very true.  They really really dont like loud pipes there. However, they now have there own motorcycle officer on a HD.  He waves too.

Oh he's been there for years and if your H-D is louder than his, he waves you over and writes you a ticket

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 08:55:29 AM »

Oh he's been there for years and if your H-D is louder than his, he waves you over and writes you a ticket

Never noticed him before and I live in the next town over.  I do avoid OOB in the summertime, maybe thats why, too crowded.  The place is undergoing a change, they are trying to loose their "image".  Pier is undergoing an upgrade and one of the arcades has been torn down and replaced with a 5 story condo unit shops on the bottom floor, whole place has a different feel because of it.  Im sure that the clampdown on loud pipes will just get worse.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 12:51:47 PM »

ALot of restuarants here do not take reservations, dont ask me why, its a Maine thing. Maybe thats what you ran into. As you travel north on route 1 there are multiple restuarants, esp in Ogunquit and Wells, and most serve lobster.  One way or another, youre gonna have some lobstah.

I know we will find something, I just don't want to get to Maine and then start looking.

I found a place to stay, I think. Right in Kittery after we cross the border. Litson Villas, ever here of it? Actually, they are the only place that has replied to me so far.

I might have to take a pre-ride just to scope it out. Last thing I want is a bunch of hungry firefighteres staring down at me  :-\
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:52:00 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 12:52:33 PM »

It's an artsy fartsy hang-out for New Yakkers with too much money and folks who probably spend winters in the Castro district of San Francisco. Wells and K-port are more eglatarian.

Hey B,

Fortunately none of that applies to US!

MV 2013

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »

Never noticed him before and I live in the next town over.  I do avoid OOB in the summertime, maybe thats why, too crowded.  The place is undergoing a change, they are trying to loose their "image".  Pier is undergoing an upgrade and one of the arcades has been torn down and replaced with a 5 story condo unit shops on the bottom floor, whole place has a different feel because of it.  Im sure that the clampdown on loud pipes will just get worse.

About 15 years ago, the town embarked on this course of losing the Honky Tonk image that had been OOB forever. They redid the sidewalks and put in the turn of the century cast iron street lamps etc. Every time a bar or nightclub closes OOB PD makes sure the liquor license doesn't get transferred. They have done everything they can to make the town one big condo project. And the thing that makes me laugh is the people behind it all are the ones who moved to Maine "from away " for the Maine lifestyle. They put up with that for about three years then get themselves elected to the town council and then they work hard to make their little piece of Maine just like where ever they came from which is probably New Yak or some such place. When I was a kid, OOB was where we wanted to be with all the amusements etc. When I was a teen it was where we wanted to be because it was where all the girls were. When I was a young adult it was where we wanted to be because of the night life. Now, if I lived in Maine still, it would be the last place I'd want to be.  :soapbox:

Porthole, did you call Yokums yet ?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 09:26:40 AM »

Porthole, did you call Yokums yet ?

Yokums who  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

MV 2013

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 09:46:51 AM »

Are reservations really required?

I am not sure of the quality but there is a Weathervane in Kittery right in the outlets.

I stll give my vote for Barnical Billy's as it gives more of the atmosphere versus a place that takes reservations.

http://www.weathervaneseafoods.com/

I would probably prefer this one if I went to the Weathervane:

http://www.weathervaneseafoods.com/index.cfm/p/Lobster%20In%20The%20Rough

/Bill

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 10:17:22 AM »

As far as a route goes, it depends on the time you will have.  But to avoid interstate there are a lot of options.  I will throuw out one...that I have ridden.  I will assume you will be riding more, stopping less.

You could take route 9 from Bennington, VT to 101 all the way to Hampton Beach, NH in about 4 hours.  To get to Bennington, NY22 is an option and would take abot 3 hours from Danbury area.  7 through CT and MA is very nice and would be about 4 hours from the Danbury area.

Taking a more direct route, including interstate, I would catch the Hutch to the Merritt Parkway/15.  Stay on that until it junctions with I-91.  Then take I-84 east into sturbridge.  to get off the interstate a little, Take Route 20 East to I-395/I-290 north to I-495 North to I-95 exit 60.  Take second left onto rt 286 and follow that to Seabrook beach/1A.  Take 1A north past Hampton Beach and all the way up the coast to Portsmouth.  Take Route 1 north across the bridge and through Badger Island into Kittery.  Badger Island is where the previous posted restaurant is.

/Bill

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 10:24:40 AM »

Are you planning this for July 1-2?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 12:08:48 PM »

Are reservations really required?

Bill,

If it was only a couple of us I would say no, but I may have as many as 20 guys, and I really don't want to be responsible for 20 hungry fire fighters you know. It is tough enough trying to please 4-6 guys at the fire house let alone 20!

I still give my vote for Barnicle Billy's

Mine too, but ... see above :nixweiss:

http://www.weathervaneseafoods.com/index.cfm/p/Lobster%20In%20The%20Rough

The last word in the link concerned me a little at first, but it looks to be a good location, and it may be near the only accomodations that actually got back to me.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 12:09:14 PM »

Are you planning this for July 1-2?

July 8th travel date, possible rain date of the 15th

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 12:12:32 PM »

I will assume you will be riding more, stopping less.

Probably, I am mapping out your suggestions to see how it plans out from my area.

My original goal when it was just two of us was to head straight up to Vermont and then turn right.

Taking a group (bikes and cages) has me considering altering my route a bit.

On the plus side, one of the 4 wheelers offered to drag along tools, compressor and a 16' trailer, just in case.

MV 2013

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 12:18:38 PM »

Probably, I am mapping out your suggestions to see how it plans out from my area.

My original goal when it was just two of us was to head straight up to Vermont and then turn right.

Taking a group (bikes and cages) has me considering altering my route a bit.

On the plus side, one of the 4 wheelers offered to drag along tools, compressor and a 16' trailer, just in case.

Hey Duane, if you want to stretch it out a little, take Rte 30N thru the Adironacks to Rte 3E to Plattsburg. Take the Ferry across Lake Champlain, ride across VT, then across NH (Kangamangis Hwy.) then across Maine to Bar Harbour. Nice riding country! Enjoy your trip! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 12:37:26 PM »

Won't be able to join in the ride...will be out west for July...

July 8th travel date, possible rain date of the 15th

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2007, 06:20:53 AM »

They have done everything they can to make the town one big condo project. And the thing that makes me laugh is the people behind it all are the ones who moved to Maine "from away " for the Maine lifestyle. They put up with that for about three years then get themselves elected to the town council and then they work hard to make their little piece of Maine just like where ever they came from which is probably New Yak or some such place.

Well, they are succeeding.  Its a problem for the whole coast, especially the picturesque working docks where there is a fear that the fisherman and their support could be squeezed out.  But there are towns that are actively protecting that.  Not OOB.  In fact, the guy who developed this big condo project also owns the pier (although he is trying to build it out another 300ft the way it was back in the day when the big bands played out there) and he is a born and bred OOB boy. If your standing on the street leading to the pier, facing the ocean, and you look to your left, thats where it is.  The arcade and rides to the right, I hear, are under negotiation too, thats rumor but I wouldnt be surprised. 
2005 Cherry SEEG-

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2007, 06:30:07 AM »

I hope you get a good turnout.  Come on guys get out there and support a fellow of the road.

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2007, 06:35:59 AM »

I might have to take a pre-ride just to scope it out.

No man, you dont have to do that.  I will take a ride down there for you, check out the hotel and report back.  Im going in to work late today and its a good excuse for a nice long ride on the bike.

Kittery is basically a store outlet area.  As you travel north on route one, there are many many outlets on both sides of the road for about a mile give or take.  The weathervaine is a chain restaurant thats right in the middle of that, but a nice setting as I recall, ill check it out.  Weathervaine is okay.  Alot of people like it, my wife is picky and doesnt like it that much, you cant go wrong with lobster there.

I sure hate giving these recommendations when I havent been, but my friends who had the B&B in Ogunquit also said that people really liked the Lobster Pound there, right on route 1.  Here is a writeup:

Ogunquit Lobster Pound
 207 646-2516
Located at 504 Main Street in Ogunquit. Patrons can pick their own lobster from the salt water tanks and watch it cooked in the steaming pots outdoors. Dine on a rustic picnic table outdoors or in the indoor casual dining room. The Phantom Gourmet’s #1 Lobster Restaurant. Open year round serving dinner nightly in season and weekends during the off season months.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 09:03:21 AM »

No man, you don't have to do that.  I will take a ride down there for you, check out the hotel and report back.

Great, I will hold off making at least my reservation till later.

Its a problem for the whole coast,

From Nova Scotia to Key West and and I'm sure the same on the "left coast".

We are losing marinas a a record pace, it won't be the cost of fuel that keep people from boating, it will be the lack of space to tie up!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 09:07:56 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 09:06:40 AM »

Ogunquit Lobster Pound
 207 646-2516

Thanks, I'll call them today. I called these 2 places
http://www.fostersclambake.com/

http://www.MaudeHutchinsPremium.com/

The first could accommodate us but only have a 12 noon seating (traditional clam-lobster bake).
The second, same people, said they don't take reservations, but they would work with us to make sure we get to eat, even if it means staying past closing time, 8pm Sunday.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 09:18:06 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2007, 12:37:56 PM »

Well, they are succeeding.  Its a problem for the whole coast, especially the picturesque working docks where there is a fear that the fisherman and their support could be squeezed out.  But there are towns that are actively protecting that.  Not OOB.  In fact, the guy who developed this big condo project also owns the pier (although he is trying to build it out another 300ft the way it was back in the day when the big bands played out there) and he is a born and bred OOB boy. If your standing on the street leading to the pier, facing the ocean, and you look to your left, thats where it is.  The arcade and rides to the right, I hear, are under negotiation too, thats rumor but I wouldnt be surprised. 

It sounds like you're talking about Billy Marshall, although the last I knew, the actor Jud Nelson's father Leonard Nelson Esq husband of state senator Merle owned the corporation which owns the pier which he got through some serious chicanery. There was a huge lawsuit in which the bank Leonard was a director which held the mortgae and had him as a corporate office for the pier corp settled of beau coop bucks. Maybe Billy wound up somehow picking up the mortage if it is him. Billy is/was/ always will be about money. He just happens to live in OOB ;  OOB doesn't live in him.

Anyway Porthole

If you make it as far north up the coast of Maine as Portland, Dimillo's is the place to take your group. It's a floating restraunt built out of an old Staten Island Ferry. My company built a 2nd hull for it which the original sits in with the void full of concrete to stabilize it. It's huge and they would have no problem with your group AND the seafood is really good. The Dimillo family are great folks.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2007, 09:24:24 PM »

If you make it as far north up the coast of Maine as Portland, Dimillo's is the place to take your group. It's a floating restaurant built out of an old Staten Island Ferry. My company built a 2nd hull for it which the original sits in with the void full of concrete to stabilize it. It's huge and they would have no problem with your group AND the seafood is really good. The Dimillo family are great folks.

You know B, there are riders and there there are RIDERS. I'll put you in the 2nd category, myself, somewhere in the middle, and then the the majority of the people I am getting together with this group in the 1st category, I even have several that are renting the bikes for the trip.

I plan on trying to get some road time "after the event", I am not going straight home, so Portland may be a way point in my GPS. I have traveled the Staten Island Ferry many times, so I guess it would be cool to have dinner on one, lord knows I wouldn't eat anything on the ones still running today.
Good tip.

MV 2013

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2007, 09:50:22 PM »

Dimillo's is the place ...the seafood is really good. The Dimillo family are great folks.

Dimillos is a great place, and great setting, good Spiderman advice.

Okay, I took a look at the motel.  It is very convenient, just over the line in Kittery, right on route 1, sort of in a residential area, so its quiet. It sounds like thats about as long of trip as you want with this group and the closeness of it to the NH border fits the bill. They are older bungalows, had the guy show me one and following are a few pics.  They appear to be clean, have a kitchen area, quiet.  I dont see why that wouldnt work for a bunch of guys on the road.

Weathervaine is just down the road on Route 1, literally about 3 minutes away, and that might also fit the bill for you.  Its a very large weathervaine restaurant and appears they would have no trouble accommodating your large group, I would of asked for you but they were closed.  The outlet store part of the place shouldnt hinder your decision, as its a big job you took on here and this may satisfy the needs of the group.  Then just drive up Route 1 for a great trip to Kennebunkport as described in earlier posts.

The two restaurants you have posted, I havent heard anything about them, but york is a very short trip up the road.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2007, 09:52:31 PM »

2005 Cherry SEEG-

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2007, 09:53:15 PM »

2005 Cherry SEEG-

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 09:53:56 PM »

2005 Cherry SEEG-

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 09:54:50 PM »

Good luck.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2007, 06:22:33 AM »

seegmon....GREAT WORK!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2007, 09:39:42 AM »

Seegmon,

While you were there did you "know" you were near an airport?

Just looked on a map and saw that Pease International airport is fairly close.

Line of site to Badger Island, where the Lobster In The Rough restaurant is, is 3 miles. 3.75 to the Villas.

I'm guessing the Naval Base is not that noisy.

The Lobster In The Rough is the first restaurant I have talked too that would take reservations and was looking forward to welcoming us. I'm not sure if that is good or bad!

The villas look pretty good, I am still working out the details to see if we can make it work. I actually like the "look & feel" of the place. Reminds me of Fontana Village in North Carolina. We stayed there after the CVO gtg in Maggie Valley.

Thanks for the ride by and pics. This also looks like it could be a neat little place for a CVO meet.

We are planning this trip with a rain date, that cause some issues.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 10:37:02 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2007, 09:54:09 AM »

seegmon....GREAT WORK!

Ditto, That's righteous dude  :2vrolijk_21:

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2007, 07:01:08 AM »

Seegmon,

While you were there did you "know" you were near an airport?

Just looked on a map and saw that Pease International airport is fairly close.

Line of site to Badger Island, where the Lobster In The Rough restaurant is, is 3 miles. 3.75 to the Villas.

I'm guessing the Naval Base is not that noisy.

The Lobster In The Rough is the first restaurant I have talked too that would take reservations and was looking forward to welcoming us. I'm not sure if that is good or bad!

The villas look pretty good, I am still working out the details to see if we can make it work. I actually like the "look & feel" of the place. Reminds me of Fontana Village in North Carolina. We stayed there after the CVO gtg in Maggie Valley.

Thanks for the ride by and pics. This also looks like it could be a neat little place for a CVO meet.

We are planning this trip with a rain date, that cause some issues.

Pease and naval yard.  No problem, you wont even know they exist there.  I stopped by Pease once just to see where it was for an expected flight out and the terminal, which is about the size of a restaurant, was closed.  That will tell you how  busy it is there.  I think Bush uses it occasionally to come home (how did a NE boy get a Texas accent, hmmm).

The York restaurant, I would give it a go.   People here, the ones who are from here, are down to earth and friendly.  If you went to a busy store, they would look you in the eye, ask you how you are, and listen to your reply.  They are probably Mainers who run that restaurant and they are probably genuinely looking forward to your arrival.  Either that or they are transplants and they are looking forward to your money.  Either way, I expect you will have a great lobster dinner, and dont forget the steamed clams.
2005 Cherry SEEG-
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 21 queries.