Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Why Bikers Get A Bad Rap!  (Read 4235 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Re: Why Bikers Get A Bad Rap!
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 10:58:01 AM »

I don't know- maybe the winter's been too long, but it looks like fun!  Those boys just need to remember the words to the Willy Nelson song "Blue Hairs Driving in my Lane"- (I think that's the proper title) :drink:
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

RedFXR2

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 10:58:09 AM »

For those that haven't yet seen http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21553.msg346352#msg346352   It ain't pertty!!

...or how about this:  Two passengers in the car plus the rider all killed instantly.

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »

That kind of riding does not belong on public streets and highways, however I'd hate too think I could lose my bike because I occasionally roll up on the throttle to clean out the exhaust once in awhile. 8)

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »

Take it to the track or build that boy a headstone. Just not public street riding, its hard enough for people to see a scooter and one at that speed is just that much harder to see.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 04:49:43 PM »

Agree with that.  I'm sure he and his buddy could put on a really nice skill show on a closed course, where people would be expecting those kinds of maneuvers.  I just hope he "grows" up before he either kills himself, or gets someone else killed. :devil:

Exactly! If they want to do kamakazie rides, do it the hell away from traffic and putting others at risk as well. All it would have taken is for one car to change lanes, not seeing them coming up at triple digits, and it's all over. They take the Many of them do like a video record of it,  and if they're involved in an accident or 'extreme' traffic stop, it can become evidence. Just no place for that style of riding on the crowded freeways or highways IMHO.

Joe

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2008, 06:35:40 PM »

But the bikes, even the fast ones, weren't at the level they are now.

The 70's 3 cylinder 750 2 stroke Kawi was one scary bike ..................... Especially being used to an AMF XLCH
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »

http://jalopnik.com/368868/florida-passes-hb-137-speeders-face-vehicle-confiscation-prison-time

These cops in the artical look like San Francisco Motor Cops not Florida Cops.   :confused5:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 07:45:36 PM »

Sorry to say but been there done that. I'm not proud or bragging but when your young you think your invincible. I've eaten pavement and had the white bed sheets stick to all my oozing road rash

I plead the 5th

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2008, 07:59:45 PM »

Howie,
I agree with you on that...don't wish him any harm,

Hell I do.  Of the legal variety.  Cops and tickets that are very very very large. 

We are a small minority on the road.  We get to use the road system without too much encumberance.  That's the best we can hope for and all we really need.  Just leave us alone and let us ride.  The quickest way for that not to happen are dumbass dipstick stupid sons of bitches who don't know when to take it to the track and instead bring legislators' attention down on us. 

Legislators, especially of the local variety, aren't always the highly illuminated minds that watching Jimmy Stewart or "The West Wing" might lead one to hope for.  They are also pack animals.  Scare one and you scare many.  Give one a legislative target and give many a legislative target.  Stupid chit like intentionally passing in to oncoming traffice, scaring little old ladies, and publicizing it via video paints the crosshair of some half lit legislative mind squarely on the back of the entire riding community.

charlie

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2008, 08:09:38 PM »

WHAT A JACK A$$.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2008, 10:33:29 PM »

Hell I do.  Of the legal variety.  Cops and tickets that are very very very large. 

We are a small minority on the road.  We get to use the road system without too much encumberance.  That's the best we can hope for and all we really need.  Just leave us alone and let us ride.  The quickest way for that not to happen are dumbass dipstick stupid sons of bitches who don't know when to take it to the track and instead bring legislators' attention down on us. 

Legislators, especially of the local variety, aren't always the highly illuminated minds that watching Jimmy Stewart or "The West Wing" might lead one to hope for.  They are also pack animals.  Scare one and you scare many.  Give one a legislative target and give many a legislative target.  Stupid chit like intentionally passing in to oncoming traffice, scaring little old ladies, and publicizing it via video paints the crosshair of some half lit legislative mind squarely on the back of the entire riding community.

thats what
i'm talkin about.  piss some of them idiot drivers off,,, and they take it out on the rest of us.  be it driving us off the road or complainin to their legislators.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »

I know what you're saying but 30 years ago you couldn't be a teenager and put a 160-180 mph-capable bike on a credit card and ride out of the dealership like you can now.  Hey, I knew crazy riders back in the 1970's, myself--visited a few in the hospital after their latest thrill.  But the bikes, even the fast ones, weren't at the level they are now.

All true.  Nobody went 160-180 on a street bike then - at least in the crowd I rode with.  At the time it was a helluvalottafun.  After a few friends cracked up it became less so.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Shaylee

• I'd rather be riding.

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 BMW K1200RS
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2008, 11:59:01 AM »

It's the people in cages that worry me.  Not only are they unpredictable (not just course pylons) but sometimes they get cross with bikers when we ride fast.  I was never more aware of that than when I had a cage driver act very aggressively to cut us off.  Usually, though, cage drivers are more respectful and I like to return that respect.  It's safer.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »

I live in a burb outside of San Diego known as Poway. Some people even refer to it as Podunk Poway. Until we moved here 10 years ago, it was a small town with a lot of small horse ranches. The developers have bought up those, built 20 houses where one used be and pushed the "Horsey Folks " as they are called around here out to Ramona. So now we have the typical American strip mall/main drag known as Poway Road. Fast food joints, gas stations, car dealerships, banks and tire stores. About the only redeeming value on the entire length of Poway Rd is a very beautiful town library. The Police station sits directly behind the library and of course the cops are teeming in that area. Soooooooo, to get the point, imagine my surprise yesterday when a kid on a crotch rocket started doing stand up wheelies and stoppies between the traffic lights in the library area. I was on my cell talking to Cappy who lives near my house which is about 1/2 mile away and he said he could hear it when the kid spun the revs up to about 13,000. All of which makes me think. When we were at the Tail of The Dragon, we ran into a kid on the Cumberland Gap side with a brand new Hyabusa all tore up on one side. He was grinnin from ear to ear and his buddies were all chattering because he was going to hang a side panel on the Tree of Fame. That's right, not the Tree of Shame as it was named, but The Tree of Fame. Seems like that's what it's all about with these young riders. Go so fast, do something so crazy you gain your 15 minutes of fame.

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 12:56:59 PM »

I live in a burb outside of San Diego known as Poway. Some people even refer to it as Podunk Poway. Until we moved here 10 years ago, it was a small town with a lot of small horse ranches. The developers have bought up those, built 20 houses where one used be and pushed the "Horsey Folks " as they are called around here out to Ramona. So now we have the typical American strip mall/main drag known as Poway Road. Fast food joints, gas stations, car dealerships, banks and tire stores. About the only redeeming value on the entire length of Poway Rd is a very beautiful town library. The Police station sits directly behind the library and of course the cops are teeming in that area. Soooooooo, to get the point, imagine my surprise yesterday when a kid on a crotch rocket started doing stand up wheelies and stoppies between the traffic lights in the library area. I was on my cell talking to Cappy who lives near my house which is about 1/2 mile away and he said he could hear it when the kid spun the revs up to about 13,000. All of which makes me think. When we were at the Tail of The Dragon, we ran into a kid on the Cumberland Gap side with a brand new Hyabusa all tore up on one side. He was grinnin from ear to ear and his buddies were all chattering because he was going to hang a side panel on the Tree of Fame. That's right, not the Tree of Shame as it was named, but The Tree of Fame. Seems like that's what it's all about with these young riders. Go so fast, do something so crazy you gain your 15 minutes of fame.

B B

Brian, we didn't have the same equipment available but we were them once.  For that matter in a very guy kind of way we're still proud of some of our stupid stuff.  But I'll be damned; we really didn't know everything then after all.  Dad was right. 

Just because it took us awhile to figure it out doesn't mean it's not worth at least the effort to make common sense more available.  Kids won't take it.  That's for sure.  They never have and never will.  But lessening the consequences for them and everyone else is worthwhile even if it only happens here and there.  That being said, riding like was in the video is just dumb. 

What's the old movie line?  "I just want to be free to ride my machine."  All we need is to be left alone as much as possible.  Riding like that will have neither pissed off cagers nor half bright legislators/agency folks leaving us alone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.