Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: What stupid thing had you done lately?  (Read 22590 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
What stupid thing had you done lately?
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:34 AM »

After reading Vigil's thread on getting the Banana, and she was questioning her ability or skill set (out loud), which most of us would never do.

I was thinking to myself how many stupid things I have done on a bike, that either I paid no price for (no consequences) or only a very minor price was paid.

The first thing that came to my mind was a stupid (brain fart) I did last week.

I was visiting a friend unannounced and like my normal practice I ride by his house and rev the motor once (it is my doorbell)

go to the end of street turn around and by that time time he is outside.

This time I rev the Motor while passing his house and for some reason not paying much attention I let out the clutch a "little".  Little is the key word here, but not little enough to not engage the engine.

needless to say the momentum of the engine and my slow speed made the bike lurch when I was not expecting it to do so, causing my body to pull back and roll back the throttle more (more throttle is not what I needed at that time)

this set up the next sequence of tearing my left hand from the handlebar, (and for those who are not paying a lot a lot attention) engaging the clutch fully.  All I seem to see ahead of me was a very sturdy mailbox structure and something

that was going to leave a mark.  Fortunately I recovered very quickly and averted disaster and looked around for witnesses that may seen the ridiculous sequence of events and hope they had not been recorded. This all happened due to my

lapse in concentration.

That is how fast stupid stuff can happen, and I thought we might all have a good laugh at some others brush with reality.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:21:56 AM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: What stupid thing had you done lately?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:30:07 AM »

I was backing mine into a spot at a restaurant with my wife on the back and misjudged the lean of the bike when turning it.  It quickly got too far for me to hold up and it tipped over with several people watching.  She had misguided faith in my ability to recover the lean and never made an attempt to jump off.  This only compounded the situation.  I'm now more aware of the difficulties of slow speed manuevering and am more cautious of the balance, especially when backing up and turned at the same time.  For some reason, this is harder for me.

"The stupidity of your actions are directly proportionate to the number of witnesses"
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:15:17 PM »

I do stupit chit all the time, I would be padding my post count if I were to start.... 8)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »

After reading Vigil's thread on getting the Banana, and she was questioning her ability or skill set (out loud), which most of us would never do.

I was thinking to myself how many stupid things I have done on a bike, that either I paid no price for (no consequences) or only a very minor price was paid.

The first thing that came to my mind was a stupid (brain fart) I did last week.

I was visiting a friend unannounced and like my normal practice I ride by his house and rev the motor once (it is my doorbell)

go to the end of street turn around and by that time time he is outside.

This time I rev the Motor while passing his house and for some reason not paying much attention I let out the clutch a "little".  Little is the key word here, but not little enough to not engage the engine.

needless to say the momentum of the engine and my slow speed made the bike lurch when I was not expecting it to do so, causing my body to pull back and roll back the throttle more (more throttle is not what I needed at that time)

this set up the next sequence of tearing my left hand from the handlebar, (and for those who are not paying a lot a lot attention) engaging the clutch fully.  All I seem to see ahead of me was a very sturdy mailbox structure and something

that was going to leave a mark.  Fortunately I recovered very quickly and averted disaster and looked around for witnesses that may seen the ridiculous sequence of events and hope they had not been recorded. This all happened due to my

lapse in concentration.

That is how fast stupid stuff can happen, and I thought we might all have a good laugh at some others brush with reality.

There is a video on YouTube of a guy doing about the same thing, but with bad results - he smashes into a parked car.  Blue dresser, bragged it cost him 29k and then he rides it into a parked car.  Can't get to it at work...

Sean

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:47:32 PM »

Don't know if this is stupid, but maybe considering i know I have a certain disability. I have a bad left knee the doctors are eager to replace. One time i came up to a stop light at a major intersection in downtown Sacrametno and planted both feet on the ground to stand up. Once i stud up, my left knee totally gave out and so did my 900 pound bagger. There we were, cars honking etc. I was trying to hurry as fast as possible.. yea right!!! Took me about 3 minutes to get that pig up and going, but i did it all by myself.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:28:52 PM by sportygordy »

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 02:01:35 PM »

Don't know if this is stupid, but maybe considering i know I have a certain disability. I have a bad left knee the doctors are eager to replace. One time i came up to a stop light at a major intersection in downtown Sacrametno and planted both feet on the ground to stand up. Once i stud up, my left knee totally gave out and so did my 900 pound bagger. There we were, cars honking etc. I was trying to hurry as fast as possible.. yea right!!! Took me about 3 minutes to get that pig up and going, but i did it all by myself.

Yes, I would not classify as stupid, but rather an unfortunate sequence of events that humiliates us at times.
That could not have been easy to get that bike up knowing the knee may give out again.....

And yes, I have seen that YouTube clip that the guy pushes a pick up truck 3 feet to the side. (I can only hope that I did not look that bad)
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »

The last new bike I bought I was leaving the dealership and did not do my usual inspection to make sure all was as it should be. The service dept. failed to clean the tires of all the shipping snot on them so as I turned out of the service area where there was water on the ground the bike went down so fast I was left standing watching it turn in circles on it's side. I just stood there dumb founded watching it . Did $1600 damage and the dealer now cleans the tires. :nixweiss:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »

The last new bike I bought I was leaving the dealership and did not do my usual inspection to make sure all was as it should be. The service dept. failed to clean the tires of all the shipping snot on them so as I turned out of the service area where there was water on the ground the bike went down so fast I was left standing watching it turn in circles on it's side. I just stood there dumb founded watching it . Did $1600 damage and the dealer now cleans the tires. :nixweiss:

I have seen several service dept with painted floors (nice and clean looking, good for customer impression) but with a little water with the normal oil around they are worse than an ice rink.
Watched an SA take a cust out to the shop only to crash himself on the floor from slipping
Formally FLHTCUSE3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 03:56:07 PM »

What stupid thing had you done lately?

I bought a bunch of stuff from Zippers...  :nixweiss:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »

I knew, I always can count on Twolane...

may I call you Twolane? or is that Mr. Twolanerider for me?
Formally FLHTCUSE3

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 04:39:19 PM »

Bwaaa  Haaa...Sheesh...

I did try and go trail riding on a xlch once, musta dropped it 10 or 11teen times, effed it all up with mud...prolly hid the leaks...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »

I knew, I always can count on Twolane...

may I call you Twolane? or is that Mr. Twolanerider for me?

Everyone else calls me chithead....  :nixweiss:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 04:40:54 PM »

Everyone else calls me chithead....  :nixweiss:
Now who would do that.....

Mr. Chithead!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 04:42:01 PM »

Youz guys need to assign chithead rev numbers to each other, Iam gettin confused,   or chitfaced...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »

Mr. Chithead!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

:znotworthy: :znotworthy: :znotworthy:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.