Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: What makes you a biker?  (Read 8509 times)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: What makes you a biker?
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »

I've seen women riding there own motorcycles but I don't think I've ever seen a woman biker. Sorry girls. Thats just my take.
Jesus is Lord

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »

“Augusta and Adeline Van Buren (related to President van Buren) grew up as Society Girls who eventually married, raise families, and held jobs. But that’s not the whole story. Raised in New York City, they sound like stereotypes of their time. Except that on July 4, 1916 they left from Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn and trekked west on two Power Plus Indian motorcycles equipped with gas headlights.

They crossed the Rockies and the western desert near the great salt lake, reaching Los Angeles on September 8. On their motorcycling journey across the American continent they reached Pike’s Peak Colorado just a year after the first rough, dangerous trail had been cut to it’s 14,109 foot summit. Taking on the challenge, they became the first women to ride that trail on any kind of motorized vehicle. On this epic journey they crashed, fought fatigue, ruts, and mud. And as Bikers, they experienced police harassment, in small towns they passed through along the way, for dressing in men’s leather riding suits. Obviously, this marathon motorcycle experience from any perspective qualifies them as Bikers. After all, even before the Depression they undertook a true Motorcycle Gypsy Experience. So, the question is,
had Augusta and Adeline lived the motorcycle lifestyle? Or had they lived the motorcycling experience?

What we have here is a contradiction in terms: “Lifestyle” versus “Life Experience.”
Doing the arithmetic you get “Style” versus “Experience”. Words mean something or at least they’re supposed to. It’s basically very simple. Webster defines the word “style” as Designation or Title, a manner of expression. And lifestyle is defined by, 1- getting a Designation (recognition as a Biker), 2- getting a Title (call a Biker), 3- expressing a manner (acts like a Biker). Experience is very simply “the act of doing.” Hence “living the motorcycle experience” is basically doing it, as the Van Buren sisters did. Perhaps a more concise term would be “Biker Experience. Lets face it, someone who has “Biker Experience” is far more interesting to talk to than someone who simply expresses “Biker Style.” Wouldn’t it have been great to talk with Augusta and Adeline Van Buren?”
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2009, 01:28:08 PM »

Experts in tire repair..

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »

“Augusta and Adeline Van Buren (related to President van Buren) grew up as Society Girls who eventually married, raise families, and held jobs. But that’s not the whole story. Raised in New York City, they sound like stereotypes of their time. Except that on July 4, 1916 they left from Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn and trekked west on two Power Plus Indian motorcycles equipped with gas headlights.

They crossed the Rockies and the western desert near the great salt lake, reaching Los Angeles on September 8. On their motorcycling journey across the American continent they reached Pike’s Peak Colorado just a year after the first rough, dangerous trail had been cut to it’s 14,109 foot summit. Taking on the challenge, they became the first women to ride that trail on any kind of motorized vehicle. On this epic journey they crashed, fought fatigue, ruts, and mud. And as Bikers, they experienced police harassment, in small towns they passed through along the way, for dressing in men’s leather riding suits. Obviously, this marathon motorcycle experience from any perspective qualifies them as Bikers. After all, even before the Depression they undertook a true Motorcycle Gypsy Experience. So, the question is,
had Augusta and Adeline lived the motorcycle lifestyle? Or had they lived the motorcycling experience?

What we have here is a contradiction in terms: “Lifestyle” versus “Life Experience.”
Doing the arithmetic you get “Style” versus “Experience”. Words mean something or at least they’re supposed to. It’s basically very simple. Webster defines the word “style” as Designation or Title, a manner of expression. And lifestyle is defined by, 1- getting a Designation (recognition as a Biker), 2- getting a Title (call a Biker), 3- expressing a manner (acts like a Biker). Experience is very simply “the act of doing.” Hence “living the motorcycle experience” is basically doing it, as the Van Buren sisters did. Perhaps a more concise term would be “Biker Experience. Lets face it, someone who has “Biker Experience” is far more interesting to talk to than someone who simply expresses “Biker Style.” Wouldn’t it have been great to talk with Augusta and Adeline Van Buren?”

First, I want to know how they got more than 2 months off work.  It sounds like they actually rode for a year.  Let's see, the cross country trip to LA took them about 65 days.  Assuming about a 3000 mile trip, that's a little over 46 miles per day.  I have no idea how fast their bikes went back then, but even if they only went 15 mph, they only rode 3 hrs per day.  I'm guessing those bikes were faster than that.  So maybe they rode an hour a day.  Bikers...I think not.  Biker experience...absolutely.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2009, 03:08:16 PM »

First, I want to know how they got more than 2 months off work.  It sounds like they actually rode for a year.  Let's see, the cross country trip to LA took them about 65 days.  Assuming about a 3000 mile trip, that's a little over 46 miles per day.  I have no idea how fast their bikes went back then, but even if they only went 15 mph, they only rode 3 hrs per day.  I'm guessing those bikes were faster than that.  So maybe they rode an hour a day.  Bikers...I think not.  Biker experience...absolutely.

You're assuming there were roads and bridges.  The model T was still fairly new.  Roads and gas stations left a great deal to be desired in 1916.  Also, WW1 hadn't ended yet and I'm sure what fuel was available was likely rationed.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »

It probably would have been a fun ride on a dirt bike.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2009, 04:39:39 PM »

Very few roads no highways limited gas and oil as these were total loss oilers, the indian powerplus for 1916 was around 15 hp..

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2009, 04:41:19 PM »

And yes, imho riding one of those across the US in 1916 absolutely qualifies as a "Biker"...Of the first order I would say...  :2vrolijk_21:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »

Hey, that Indian Power Plus has apehangers on it with lots of pullback.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »

And a high falutin headlight, always optional back then....either acetelyne or white oil fired...

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »

So that would lead me to believe that the difference between a motorcycle enthusiast and a biker is gender related......would not want to tell that to the ladies in my club who ride and proudly wear the iron butt run patch

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2009, 05:37:58 PM »

So that would lead me to believe that the difference between a motorcycle enthusiast and a biker is gender related......would not want to tell that to the ladies in my club who ride and proudly wear the iron butt run patch

I would do a joke here about buns of steel but my wife would kick my ass. Her best day is 960 miles.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »

I've seen women riding there own motorcycles but I don't think I've ever seen a woman biker. Sorry girls. Thats just my take.

Hopefully, you'll never meet up with the female bike group, and I kid you not, called "Dykes on Bikes".  They'll kick your a$$ if you say they aren't bikers.   :nervous:

:devil:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:06:30 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »

Now that you said this, it got me to thinking about some of the females in my HOG chapter.  They are bikers.  I concede!

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2009, 07:20:22 PM »

I would do a joke here about buns of steel but my wife would kick my ass. Her best day is 960 miles.
     960 miles is no joke, my hats off to her- AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.