Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: check your carb  (Read 1922 times)

01fxdxt

check your carb
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »

My FXR3 doesn't get ridden all that much(have a few different bikes).I've had this for a few years now,and each time I rode it it was sluggish had a lag off idle,Stunk of unburnt fuel,and got lousy mileage.So this spring I decided to examine/clean the carb.
   The first thing I found was a K&N air filter that kinda looked like it was dipped in oil and lit on fire,well maybe not that bad.Also,inside the carb was all soot black.I found when cleaning the carb,someone in the past had  upped the main jet 2 sizes but didn't touch a thing in the idle circuit.
  I cleaned the carb and parts and replaced the main jet with the correct one as I have read the main jet is usually fine from mamma Harley(in more or less stock configuration).I've also read where the early Sportster needle will cure the lean condition that occurs due to EPA compliance,but I wanted to see how it would run in a stock configuration.Sol,I took the plug out above the idle mixture screw and opened it up 1/8 of a turn.
  I put it back together cleaning the air cleaner box and replaced the K&N with a new stock filter.
   Well I can tell you this thing runs so much nicer now.No stinking unburnt fuel,great roll on,even idle,and I am now getting about 50 mpg.
I just changed the spark plugs @ 10000 mile maintenance,and they looked  absolutely perfect!I am now very happy with how this runs .
  Not a big fan of K&N filters as they provide little performance advantage for everyday rider and probably don't protect as well as stock filter.My opinion only of course.
  So,if you have some of the same symptoms as I had,just maybe someone has gone a bit overboard with the jetting set-up.And my bike is now running remarkably better. Thanks for listening.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: check your carb
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »

Right on, the CV carbs right out of the box were great, just needed a little tweaking to improve drivability.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 24 queries.