Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Scored Oil Pump SE110  (Read 9800 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Scored Oil Pump SE110
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 02:36:07 PM »

Shioes look really good no wear.

Checked part number of the Cam Plate and it is 25358-06, for a 2010 bullt sometime in 2009 does this seem old?

geezerglide

That'd be right Leo.  The change happened to Dyna in 06 then to Touring in 07.  With that -06 part numbers for anything after wouldn't be unexpected.

Newer part numbers out there also.  That's what the numbers for that HD billet plate kit mentioned above are.  But what you're seeing for your 09's part numbers is correct.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »

Crank run out was checked, however not by delaer and it was .004 which I thought was excellent.

Part nmber for the oil pump is 26277-08, is the up dated oil pump?

While H-D might tell you .004" pinion shaft runout is "excellent", it most definitely is not.  Excellent would be in the .000-.001" range.  A few short years ago (pre 2007), .003" was the upper limit for runout.  Only after Harley got into all sorts of crank failures in 2007 after a part and process redesign did they change that tolerance, eventually to the current BS tolerance which I believe is still at .000-.012".  No oil pump or cam plate will last long at the upper half of that range. 

Before considering an aftermarket pump, I'd check into the pumps ability to tolerate the runout you have.  I know Feuling doesn't recommend using their pump with that much runout, and in fact they come right out and say they will not warrant the pump if the runout is over a certain figure (I think it's .0025, but I'm not 100% sure.)  I don't know anything about the Thayer 3-stage, but I'm going to guess that it would also be intolerant of excessive runout. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Herko

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 03:00:11 PM »

...I don't know anything about the Thayer 3-stage, but I'm going to guess that it would also be intolerant of excessive runout.  ...

Initially Dan Thayer was at .003 max r/o for his pump. In subsequent conversations with him, he raised the r/o limit. Have to dig out my notes but IIRC it was in the .007 or .008 range. Contact him directly to get the new max.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »

....The mechanic decided to check oil pump as aprecaution. What he found wearing on the outer edge (circumfrence) of the Gerator where it fits into the aluminum housing of the pump. The aluminum housung also show scoring, however only in one spot.

Took assembly to the dealer service manager and mechanic looked it over and said some debris must have caused it...They went on to explain that because the gerator had a "hard" coating on it and the body was aluminum there was nothing to worry about....
geezerglide

The question with regard to scoring and wear is how does your oil pump assembly compare to a benchmark for normal?

The oil pump is always pumping pre-filtered oil; whether it’s back to the reservoir after making a pass through the engine, or from the reservoir on its way to the oil filter. Any debris trapped in the oil filter must pass through the oil pump to get there. It is not at all unusual for both chambers of the pump to display some scoring over time. During operation the outer idler gear is under constant thrust load and its bore will wear unevenly on just one side because of this.

If the issue is that your pump is trashed, then you need to determine and rectify the cause of the damage. If the issue is that the components display some scoring, you need to determine if the conditions represent normal wear and tear, or if they are the result of a failed component somewhere in the engine.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »

25358-06 is the casting number. 25355-06 is the part number. Introduced on the '06 Dyna.
25355-06A bushing-less version...on the scene in 2010 for the 2011 production.

As far as the pump goes, Don is right, investigate the problem.
Then go with a Thayer 3-stage. (sold by T-Man, R&R et al). Really shines in the crankcase scavenge department. Will let your 110 be the best it can be as far as the oil pump is concerned.

I can attest to the worth of Dan's pump as well.
Great guy, and he is west of us by about 2 1/2 hrs. Corfu, N.Y.
Had a 124" equipped 2004 Softail, and had a scavange issue.
That pump/plate set-up cured it. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 12:29:51 PM »

While H-D might tell you .004" pinion shaft runout is "excellent", it most definitely is not.  Excellent would be in the .000-.001" range.  A few short years ago (pre 2007), .003" was the upper limit for runout.  Only after Harley got into all sorts of crank failures in 2007 after a part and process redesign did they change that tolerance, eventually to the current BS tolerance which I believe is still at .000-.012".  No oil pump or cam plate will last long at the upper half of that range. 

Before considering an aftermarket pump, I'd check into the pumps ability to tolerate the runout you have.  I know Feuling doesn't recommend using their pump with that much runout, and in fact they come right out and say they will not warrant the pump if the runout is over a certain figure (I think it's .0025, but I'm not 100% sure.)  I don't know anything about the Thayer 3-stage, but I'm going to guess that it would also be intolerant of excessive runout. 

Jerry

Jerry,

Why I said "I thought .004  run out was excellent" is due to the other run outs others have meausered at .012 and over.

The heads, the jugs are off, no scoring in cylnders, found no debris in the cases all look good. Have purchased the upgrade kit 25282-11 and will be it in.

Thanks to all,

geezerglide

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »

Even my 07 shop manual says max .003 before the Moco upped it to .012. Of course they didn't send me a little sticker to put over the .003 in my book. :huepfenlol2:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 25 queries.