Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speedo failure , intermittant  (Read 1153 times)

Y2KFLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Speedo failure , intermittant
« on: June 03, 2005, 04:34:42 AM »

Yesterday my speedo wouldn't register past 20 mph, tonight when I went to work it was fine, anyone have any ideas? Have you had a speedo failure and what were the symptoms and any hint at troubleshooting?  Just wondering, if it's a sensor in the tranny,or, if it's the speedo starting to go. 15 k on it.   I did a search and didn't find a thread with anything regarding speedometer...This past weekend I replaced my swingarm bushings,nasty job. I'm trying to eliminate a high speed wobble, have the progressive suspension 440's on order, so, hope that is gonna be the cure.,, Thanks in advance, Mike  

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
Re: Speedo failure , intermittant
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 07:30:17 AM »

make sure you did not pinch the VSS sensor harness on re-install of the swingarm - look for  items that you may have done if the speedo worked previous to repair. if all looks good pull VSS sensor and make sure sensor tip is free of debris - then re-try - there are specific ohm readings you can take but the failure on my part is that I am not around the manuals at this time. see how this works and re-post if other help is required

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 08:34:21 AM »

Sounds like a great time to upgrade to a Vrod 150mph speedo so you can keep track of those high speed runs we all make.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 09:59:17 AM »

I had the same type of problem on my 01 Ultra. The speedo didn't work right and the cruise control would suddenly go out. Took it to the shop, they cleaned the sensor, and presto, no more problem.

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 03:04:46 PM »

It is most likely metal shavings built up on your speedo sensor.  The problem with just cleaning the sensor is that whatever is creating the metal shavings is still doing it most likely.  If it is cleaned and the problem doesn't come back in the next couple of months you will be fine.  If it does come back it is most likely one of two things.  Either the bearings on the ID of the 5th gear that hold the mainshaft or a bad gear rubbing on one of the shifter forks.  I had a friend that had his tranny go after battling this for a month.  The bearings in his main drive failed and trashed the transmission.  When he cleaned his sensor the problem would come back after about 50-100 miles of riding.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 03:06:29 PM by h2oski »

Y2KFLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 07:08:32 PM »

Thanks so much for the feedback!, You guys are great and I'm really glad I signed up for this forum! When I took my exhaust off, I was very careful around the top of the tranny ,Those bushings are a bear to get the brackets re-installed over them. Last fall when I changed the transmission fluid, I didn't have anything out of the ordinary in regard to filings trapped on the plug so there was no alarm raised then. I will keep an eye on it, when I rode in tonite, the speedo didn't act up.  I guess if it happens again, I'll pull the sensor and check for debris/filings. (If there is, man I hope not!) Labor at the dealer is $50 /hr.  I hope it's just a slug of crap. My tranny shifts real nice and smooth, but, I did have a hard time findin' neutral when I got to work.... Man, rendezvous is less than 3 weeks away!!!!  I don't need problems.  Thanks again you guys!

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.