Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to go in USA for a taste of real America  (Read 1022 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Where to go in USA for a taste of real America
« on: October 11, 2015, 06:02:03 PM »

Hello.

Not so young but sprightly!!

As the title says. My missus and me to hire a bike and have a two thousand mile trip. Avoiding big cities and extreme heat. Sometime next July or August.

Stops unplanned, just pick up hotel rooms as we go.

Eagle Rider looks to be a good hire company. Any comments or alternatives would be welcome.

Plenty of touring experience in Europe, also road trip on hired Hartley in Australia. Regions I prefer seem to have been mountains, but would like to take some part of a coastal route. Not bothered east or west, but would guess it is going to be west.

If you have the time, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank's JohnT

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Where to go in USA for a taste of real America
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 06:47:08 PM »

If you're wanting to avoid the extreme heat, July and Aug. is the wrong time of the year to come.

Maybe in the spring I'd suggest Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks, Hwy. 1 down the California coast from Monterey to San Luis Obispo, Ca.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:00:16 PM »

Pacific Coast Hwy (Wash - San Fran) in late June was on of the most chilly trips I have ever taken........Going back to Seattle on I-5 the next week......105deg.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 07:18:51 PM »

Other than the June Gloom (the early morning fog that burns off between 10 a.m. and noon) it should be a nice ride.  It's what some body would have to ride through to get to California at that time of year that would be extreme.

Here's a ride report from early July of 2011.  We start out with leathers and sweatshirts but as the fog burns off, we're down to t-shirts.  The California coast is a great ride this time of year.   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=64369.0

I might also add the Colorado Rockies to the list of suggestions johnmowcop....especially the Durango, Silverton, Delores and Telluride areas.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 08:21:24 PM »

I agree with the guys concerning the temps.  Sounds like you need to start in Washington state and head across the northern most part of the US if you're looking for more sedate temperatures.  July and August anywhere south of St. Louis or so will be brutal for touring.

As far as Eagle Rider goes, I have one 24hr day of experience with them, and it was a good experience.  Long term I can't comment on.  We rented an Electra Glide for 24hrs with a 200 mile max allowance while in Dallas.  Stayed with her sister that weekend while we did it, otherwise I wouldn't go near Dallas typically (no offense to you Texans!).  It helped us decide to cross over to the dark side, and I've never gone back to metric bikes.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.