Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: oil temp  (Read 2041 times)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
oil temp
« on: August 24, 2020, 10:06:14 PM »

how hot before ya worry about it , mine was 240, running 80 mph for 40 miles at 92 degrees

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
Re: oil temp
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 10:54:42 PM »

Nothing to worry about at all. I’ve seen some up to 300 on scorching g days. Mine runs about 260 on a really hot day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 11:13:53 PM »

Nothing to worry about at all. I’ve seen some up to 300 on scorching g days. Mine runs about 260 on a really hot day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2
Alan

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 10:53:48 AM »

240 is pretty normal operating temperature.  Boils off any water that has contaminated the oil via condensation.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 11:35:38 AM »

how hot before ya worry about it , mine was 240, running 80 mph for 40 miles at 92 degrees
Find another road to ride on... one more challenging and better scenery so you don't have time to pay attention to the oil temp. :D :D

Seriously as others have said... no worries.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »

There's an old saying:
"Man without oil temp gauge NEVER worries about oil temp. Man with oil temp gauge ALWAYS worries about oil temp".
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 02:11:07 PM »

Exactly right....I got rid of my oil temp gauge years ago.  The bike is not "oil cooled" so it really does not make a lot of difference.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 05:59:18 PM »

This past spring after raising compression as part of some new engine work I got more power; which meant I got more heat.  I have an oil temp gauge.  This meant I could see it and think about it.  We know what usually happens when you asked a wannabe teenage boy to think about things....

I was seeing 230 plus on 70-75 degree spring days.  It was probably gonna be fine.  Before it ever got to 95 degree days, and because it was spring in the time of Corona and I had absolutely nothing else to do, I added a new oil cooler to the new engine build.  An oil cooler that without the oil temp gauge, or the boredom in the time of Corona, I had no profound real reason to think I HAD to do.

Sure, I want this to be the last time I've ever got a reason to be in this engine.  So anything to extend its lifespan and serviceability can be rationalized.  But it was going to be ok.  Barring getting stuck in in-town traffic or construction backups on a hot day it was going to be ok. 

But I had the oil temp gauge.  And I was bored.  So I could rationalize and explain doing something about a problem I didn't really have much of.  So on went the oil cooler system.

But, because I was bored, and because I had the oil temp gauge, just off the shelf wasn't good enough.  Had to hybridize parts from different sources to make it behave just the way I wanted, wire it up in a way that looks like it was always there but behaves in a way the aftermarket did not intend but it precisely how I wanted, etc etc etc....

All this happened because I had the oil temp gauge to make me even think about to begin with....  :huepfenlol2:

And because I was bored.

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »

thanks all , no more worries :drummer:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 10:53:08 PM »

For most of my life I was a strong advocate for full instrumentation in vehicles, probably because unlike the average driver/rider I actually understood what those gauges were telling me and what was important and what wasn't.  I had no good things to say about "idiot lights".  However, I've come to reconsider that opinion over the past decade or two, as I found more and more people had no idea what any of the gauges were for other than the fuel gauge and I saw more and more gauges being bastardized to cut off customer complaints (like engine temp gauges that were changed to act like an idiot light instead of displaying actual temperatures).  Rather than install cheap gauges that are inaccurate and basically useless, just give us a simple "OK" or "NOT OK" indicator with a big flashing light on the dash to get the driver/riders attention, preferably with a system to cut into any phone conversations or other distractions to make sure the driver/rider doesn't ignore the flashing light for the next 50 miles or until the engine locks up due to lack of oil pressure.  What I'm saying is, giving excess information to people who don't understand it and don't plan to use it is probably wasting money on the typical millennial or gen z drivers these days.  They don't have time to look at gauges, just like they don't have time to watch where they are going and thus run into the back of stopped cars at rates never seen before in the history of motor vehicles.  As much as I hate the thought, self driving cars may be the only salvation for those of us who travel by road and prefer to get where we want without being run into or over.

Just my rambling thoughts on a Monday evening.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 11:18:30 PM »

For most of my life I was a strong advocate for full instrumentation in vehicles,

I've had the same change Jerry.  Can remember when I was less than a teenager working in a Texaco station and my dad saying that a set of Stewart Warners under-dash I'd just put in was there to give the owner more to worry about.  I still always preferred more and better instrumentation as opposed to idiot lights or dumb instruments.  For the reasons you describe I've shifted too. The other factor in my change of mind as it's applied to the general population is that the vehicles are just much more long lived and reliable than they were.  Combination of owners that understand less and vehicles that don't need more.... 

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 12:28:22 AM »

However, I've come to reconsider that opinion over the past decade or two, as I found more and more people had no idea what any of the gauges were for other than the fuel gauge and I saw more and more gauges being bastardized to cut off customer complaints (like engine temp gauges that were changed to act like an idiot light instead of displaying actual temperatures).  Rather than install cheap gauges that are inaccurate and basically useless, just give us a simple "OK" or "NOT OK" indicator with a big flashing light on the dash to get the driver/riders attention,

which is exactly why the 'new' boom gts will tell you 'okay' for oil pressure instead of actually telling you what the oil pressure is.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 01:57:27 PM »

There's an old saying:
"Man without oil temp gauge NEVER worries about oil temp. Man with oil temp gauge ALWAYS worries about oil temp".
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »

Confucius also said:

"Man with one GPS always knows correct route, man with two GPS never knows correct route".

That's why the Genghis Khan and the Mongols never got lost.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 10:50:52 PM »

Confucius also said:

"Man with one GPS always knows correct route, man with two GPS never knows correct route".

That's why the Genghis Khan and the Mongols never got lost.
    LMAO

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 07:50:19 AM »

Instead of What is the best kind of oil, now it's What is the best temperature for oil...

Makes me nostalgic for the old days here - when red was the fastest color, the pool boy was not playing hide the wienie with the Falwells, and every year the pictures of the paint/colors on the new models sucked in comparison to how they looked so much better in person.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 09:06:01 PM »

Instead of What is the best kind of oil, now it's What is the best temperature for oil...

Makes me nostalgic for the old days here - when red was the fastest color, the pool boy was not playing hide the wienie with the Falwells, and every year the pictures of the paint/colors on the new models sucked in comparison to how they looked so much better in person.
the "GOOD" old days.  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 12:17:57 AM »

the "GOOD" old days.  har!  spyder

And spyder is back on the site!

Mike

:drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 24 queries.