Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Passing Vehicles  (Read 1908 times)

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
Passing Vehicles
« on: October 12, 2020, 06:31:13 PM »

I have a route I ride everyday. Lots of curves  and views.  They are mostly back roads single lane. some have no passing zones. I ride with ear plugs, radio blasting and have a louder exhaust with mufflers no straight pipes.  Anyway my question is how do we pass other cars/ trucks moving slower than what we want to travel? Twice I have had angry drivers either flip me off or one guy in a pick up truck ran right up behind me missing me by inches and re passing me yelling and banging his hat against the steering wheel. Afraid he would slam on his brakes I re passed him and he yelled and followed me out of his way for a few miles. I drew my side arm and place it between my legs on my seat so that if I had too I could draw either hand. You never know about people anymore and the way I ride I had no idea what his problem was or if I needed to defend myself. I don't always follow the yellow line passing rules however i'm very cautious and always have more than enough space to pass safely . Never cut off people, just get ahead of them. my logic is better to be way ahead than riding frustrated behind someone and also making driver ahead nervous of a bike on his tail.  So how wrong am I . Finger flipping and hat beating wrong?  When did society start to feel they can flip off bikers and not get the crap stomped out of them?  :orange: :huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock: :nixweiss: :carrot: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Passing Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »

When He's that pissed off that He passes you like that, it's time to back off and let Him go on His way. That sidearm isn't going to do a damn bit of good if He decides to run you over.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 08:28:31 PM »

Just a ques?
If your exhaust is loud enough that you wear ear plugs to tolerate it. Imagine what it sounds like to a driver in a vehicle with an open window that you throttle past a few feet away from. Loud unexpected noises scare the crap out of people. The finger flipping may be that reaction? Myself, I try to accelerate very hard from behind the vehicle I'm passing and roll out of the throttle as get along side and cruise by. So far so good. Nobody has tried to kill me.
steve@fullsac.com
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 08:46:31 PM »

Maintain extreme separation, whether behind or in-front, of ANY and All angry, agitated, cell phone talking and texting, bird flipping cage drivers.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 10:27:00 PM »

Speaking only for myself, I’m not sure drawing a weapon and putting it between your legs while riding a motorcycle is a good idea.

A bump or dip the the road, a quick maneuver, hard braking all may cause the weapon to fall onto the road. Now it’s behind you and useless. At the academy we were taught that the weapon stays in the holster till you are out of the car/off the bike. At motor school they said you can remove the glove from your strong side hand in anticipation of drawing. But the weapon stays in your holster until you dismount. It’s human nature to want to grab a weapon that’s shifting around, and you need your hands free to operate the controls.

If you carry a gun while riding, you may want to learn to draw and shoot and reload while wearing gloves. Practice stopping the bike, setting it on the side stand or just dumping it, drawing the weapon and shooting it while wearing gloves.

From 15mph:
1 come to a complete stop.
2 hit engine stop button.
3 either set the bike on the side stand or dump it on its side.
4 practice dismounting from both sides.
5 get behind the bike and take up either a kneeling or prone position.
6 draw weapon and engage threat.

A little tactical preparation and practice will more than make up for the time you think you are saving by drawing the weapon and placing it between you legs while the bike is still moving.

This is what I was taught, this is what I pass on. Feel free to consider it, or ignore it.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 06:32:38 AM »

I frequently will pass on curvy hilly two lane mountain roads passing or no passing zone.  I like to run them quicker than most cages will.  I have had only a few drivers get pissed about it.

My pipes are not obnoxious.  Both have completed Fullsac set ups.  I have had two drivers speed up to try to prevent the pass.  I have never had one try to repass me, but if they tried, I doubt the would have enough acceleration to get around me.  I do use my turn signal to let them know if looking in mirror I am going around.   I use it also to let them know I am coming back in in front of them.

Most actually slow when they see me passing.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 07:36:32 AM »

I get the pass done quickly  :nixweiss: leaving any problems behind me.

I want to practice taking out a threat while riding at cruising speeds  :drink:

Just Ride!
Wut the hell was that maneuver

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 09:21:17 AM »

I would think in some areas - brandishing a firearm will get you in a lot of trouble.

Suppose the pissed off driver is a local LEO?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 09:28:58 AM »

I do a lot of passing in Double Yellow areas, make it quick and go around.  I have had people get mad, had one in MO that kept moving over to the middle so that I could not get around.

Always been my goal to not fight with cars or trucks as they will win in the end.  They may be in the wrong but we are the ones getting hurt, or worse.  IMO, drag pipes don't help and certainly not pulling a gun for a traffic situation.         

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 09:56:15 AM »

Great replies to my questions. I really do value your responses. to clarify my exhaust isn't the reason i ride with ear plugs but to block out the wind noise exhaust is D&D Fat Cats.  I have my concealed carry license for 20 years and only pulled it that once to place between my legs. I truly felt the driver might try to run me into a ditch or worse. The roads were to curved  in spots to out run him some curves were set at ten miles an hour. I was doing 80 at times  and he passed me to get in front. I know i can downshift without the clutch but needed the throttle hand to speed up down or help break. having side arm on right , i couldn't draw from left lifting coat and shirt to get to it. I think pulling off into a driveway and dismounting  and taking a position to draw and fire if needed might have been the best idea brought up. I had too much going on to think that out clearly. I will remember if I ever have a next time. practise practise practise..   

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 10:11:48 AM »

Just curious, what route, I’m local to you, just need to know if I have to carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 10:26:55 AM »

Hey there. Yes I see you picture of  the gas station and you are indeed close to where I ride. Thru the metroparks  and around Boston Heights, Richfield. Lets meet up next spring and ride it . I'm sure you have been on most if not all the roads thru there. I have a route I ride that brings me back home in a bout an hour or more depending on if I add other roads on way home. I don't enjoy riding in colder fall weather anymore. I can and have road in the dead of winter when it was snowing. I just don't enjoy colder weather . Ready to ditch Ohio for some warmer places....

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 11:14:28 AM »

Riding for 50+years.  Younger days - dirt bikes - we would kick the side of a car if the driver pissed us off.  As I got older I did less of that & doubt would try it anymore.  Have had drivers throw stuff at me, try to run me off the road, speed up when I tried to pass, & veer into the passing lane on 2 lane roads when passing.  Flipped off, yelled at - all of the above. Lots of jerk behavior.  Most drivers - the vast majority are not.  It's the few idiot drivers that make the bad memories. When I pass a vehicle now I make it as quick as possible.  Less time next to a car or truck the better.  Bad juju to ride alongside a truck or car for a long time at speed.  If I am riding in a group & the bikes in front are taking too long to pass a vehicle, I hang back.  When it's my turn I pass as quickly as I can & get over in front to make room for the next rider.

Some drivers are assholes.  Some drivers think it's a race track & they don't want anyone to pass them. Some drivers hate motorcycles.  Why?  Because they are dumbasses.  Have seen the same behavior from bikers.  Twisty road & a bike is poking along & when you try to pass they pull over into the passing lane or speed up or ride like an asshole. Why?  Because they are dumbasses.

Have never pulled a gun on anyone while riding because if I did I would be ready to use it.  Will admit the thought has crossed my mind briefly but there is too much other stuff going on to have a Wild West shootout on a highway.  Also do not want my horse to be shot out from under me.  ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 07:12:14 PM »

I agree drivers can be dumb azz's. I want to be clear I pulled side arm and placed between legs. others never saw me do it. I Never pointed or advertise i have protection. I will however use it if needed to. I truck driving up to within inches of me and swerving at last moment at 80 miles an hour I view a threat. I had to stop at a stop sign and turned and moved mt pistol before he got up to me.  I heard this and try to make it true.   " be hard to kill and harder to convict..  thanks for all input.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 10:48:41 PM »

I would never drive over the speed limit and I would never pass on a double yellow.......I'm a dainty rider!  But the guy behind me.......he's a maniac.....I would never ride like he does!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:32:56 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.