Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Another Ticket, #@%*&$#  (Read 9059 times)

hd2003-se2005

Another Ticket, #@%*&$#
« on: June 01, 2005, 11:18:54 AM »

Just got my latest ticket from the "Safe Speed Camera Enforcement Program"

They have camera's everywhere in Charlotte [smiley=furious.gif].

56 in a 45

Funny thing, the picture shows about a mile of 4-lane road and I'm the only one on it.

Is there some plastic cover to go over your tag that will prevent the camera from reading your tag?

Hey Dr. Evil do you know of any trick to avoid detection?l (besides slowing down)

I need something [smiley=cry2.gif].

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Another Ticket, #@%*&$#
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 11:51:27 AM »

56 in a 45

Funny thing, the picture shows about a mile of 4-lane road and I'm the only one on it.

Is there some plastic cover to go over your tag that will prevent the camera from reading your tag?

Hey Dr. Evil do you know of any trick to avoid detection?l (besides slowing down)

Yeah, 'er 'uh, hd2003,
  [smiley=oops.gif]Sorry to hear you have become a victim of more taxation, and that's exactly what that chit is! [smiley=furious.gif]  What you need is a "JAMMER."  I'll get you that information, forthwith! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:01:54 PM »

56 in a 45

You were still accellerating up to speed I hope...I did not think your bikes cruised at less than 120! [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:13:24 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, hd2003,
   [smiley=oops.gif]Sorry to hear you have become a victim of more taxation, and that's exactly what that chit is! [smiley=furious.gif]  What you need is a "JAMMER."  I'll get you that information, forthwith! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Later--HUBBARD

Post it here Hub.  Others beside HD2003 might be, um......, interested (for purely hypothetical reasons of course).

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 12:25:45 PM »

Chip, you're still ahead when you think about all the trouble you and Nancy (and the rest of the group) avoided in North Carolina and South Carolina, recently.  But I am with Bill, you should be embarrased to get a ticket for only 11 mph over after those runs! [smiley=laugh.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 12:28:21 PM »

Chip, you're still ahead when you think about all the trouble you and Nancy (and the rest of the group) avoided in North Carolina and South Carolina, recently.  But I am with Bill, you should be embarrased to get a ticket for only 11 mph over after those runs! [smiley=laugh.gif]

11 over is perhaps a big reason why the ticket came from the camera.  Would bet a lot of officers wouldn't have stopped to write that one; especially in the road and traffic environment described.  The camera doesn't know and doesn't care.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 12:40:10 PM »

My thoughts on this are Chip if you were going at normal speed even the camera couldn't get a pic!!!!!

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 12:44:43 PM »

My thoughts on this are Chip if you were going at normal speed even the camera couldn't get a pic!!!!!

BE SAFE

THE DAWG

Yeah Chip, quit driving them abnormal 56 mph speeds !!  You ought to be ashamed son.  (whew, that Dawg sympathy is cold as a pickle in January  [smiley=7.gif])
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 12:45:10 PM by twolanerider »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 12:50:36 PM »

Post it here Hub.  Others beside HD2003 might be, um......, interested (for purely hypothetical reasons of course).

Yeah, 'er 'uh, hd2003 & Twolane,
 The product is manufactured by RMR.  It is an RMR-C450 Voice Alert and Laser Jammer.  It will jam Laser, X, K, and KA type Radar.  You may view at wwwRadarScramblers.com  Look under Anti-Photo.
 Later--HUBBARD

« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 12:54:43 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 01:31:28 PM »

I'd try a smoked or reflective plastic plate cover like they sell at Auto Zone or Pep Boys for cars and cut down to fit........or use any piece of clear plasitc and put a layer or two of smoked/relective window tint on it. [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 03:52:08 PM »

That used to be me, too............until I slammed into the back of a truck.  Now I go a whole lot slower (although some still might argue that point. LOL).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 03:58:57 PM »

Looked at the electronic active jamming hardware.  Be hard to mount cleanly and unobtrusively on the bike in a spot where it could still do its job.

I know this is gonna sound weird but that kind of equpment isn't really my biggest concern anyway.  If an officer has caught me fair and square then I've deserved it.  And I'm really not gonna worry about it.  

On the other hand....  

And I don't ask me to explain the difference because it's not logical and I can't explain it.  But if some damn machine catches me and gives me a ticket that's just gonna piss me off.  Crime (even traffic crime) and punishment are human exercises.  I'f I'm caught by somebody doing their job, so be it.  But I'll be damned if I'm going to be complacent about being caught by some damned camera whose calibration or other methodologies I can't stand up and cross examine should I feel inclined to do so.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 04:05:51 PM »

Thanks guys

I'm betting some pictures were taken in Charleston.
When processed all they saw was 4 blurs.
That Tater and Otis are a bad influence on Nancy!

And I agree with what TwoLane wrote below
And I don't ask me to explain the difference because it's not logical and I can't explain it.  But if some damn machine catches me and gives me a ticket that's just gonna piss me off.  Crime (even traffic crime) and punishment are human exercises.  I'f I'm caught by somebody doing their job, so be it.  But I'll be damned if I'm going to be complacent about being caught by some damned camera whose calibration or other methodologies I can't stand up and cross examine should I feel inclined to do so.

That's why a license plate cover that blocks the tag from showing up in a picture is what I want.

******** UPDATE (thanks Tater)
That www.radarscramblers.com has what I need.

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 04:12:39 PM by hd2003-se2005 »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 04:45:28 PM »

That used to be me, too............until I slammed into the back of a truck.  Now I go a whole lot slower (although some still might argue that point. LOL).

uh..JC; dd you forget our ride to Reno a couple of weeks ago?

Here in CA if you get a ticket from a camera you can go to court and demand to question your accuser. It’s a constitutional right. I got a red light camera ticket and did just that. It was dismissed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 05:03:32 PM »

Here in CA if you get a ticket from a camera you can go to court and demand to question your accuser. It’s a constitutional right. I got a red light camera ticket and did just that. It was dismissed.

That debate is so all over the map in different states right now it'll just give you a headache.  Eventually that very question will end up before The Supremes and they'll tell us whether questioning our accuser means questioning the instrument that was directly responsible for the citation or questioning those responsible for its maintenance.

The trend seems to be toward accepting the technology as jurisprudentially acceptable.  I can even understand the position to some extent.  But it worries me, a lot.  If eventually sanctioned completely it's the beginning of the steps toward onboard monitoring and wireless reporting by our own vehicles of our driving habits with citations stemming therefrom.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 05:37:08 PM »

That debate is so all over the map in different states right now it'll just give you a headache.  Eventually that very question will end up before The Supremes and they'll tell us whether questioning our accuser means questioning the instrument that was directly responsible for the citation or questioning those responsible for its maintenance.

The trend seems to be toward accepting the technology as jurisprudentially acceptable.  I can even understand the position to some extent.  But it worries me, a lot.  If eventually sanctioned completely it's the beginning of the steps toward onboard monitoring and wireless reporting by our own vehicles of our driving habits with citations stemming therefrom.

Its a scary thought when you think about it. Pretty soon your checking account will have automatic withdrawals to the local jurisdiction for traffic fines.  [smiley=nervous.gif]

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 06:04:10 PM »

Let's talk the possibilities of easy pass toll systems.

Let's say it is 65miles between tolls on a 65mph road...they have you doing the distance in less than an hour...they could start ticketing automatically at only a couple of mph over the limit!  Glad they are not doin' it yet!

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 06:05:10 PM »

Its a scary thought when you think about it. Pretty soon your checking account will have automatic withdrawals to the local jurisdiction for traffic fines.  [smiley=nervous.gif]

While technically easy enough to do that's not a concern yet as the citation issued isn't a conviction.  Not until the conviction (or admission) has due process been rendered.  And property (i.e., money) can't be confiscated without due process.  

I know, I know, there are a myriad of exceptions with many being only barely short of confiscation (RICO and IRS actions being the obvious examples).  But for traffic fines we're probably safe for awhile yet  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 06:13:58 PM »

I noticed another creative way to mask your license plate today. A car in front of me had this round emblem of a star saying law enforcement booster or supporter etc.......anyway it was strategically located on the plate so that it obstructed the last digit.  Hmmm.........cop friendly/yet camera obstructive. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 06:55:17 PM »

quote]

Uhh.....nope, not at all.......did I get a ticket that I don't remember? [smiley=laugh.gif]   Or........did I just get away with it one more time? [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 06:55:53 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 10:39:28 AM »

Looks like Hub beat me to the answer.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]  Good luck Chip.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 10:46:26 PM »

Let's say it is 65miles between tolls on a 65mph road...they have you doing the distance in less than an hour...they could start ticketing automatically at only a couple of mph over the limit!  Glad they are not doin' it yet!

/Bill

As I understand it we are there already...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 11:30:18 PM »

I've heard of some states doing that on certain toll roads.  Don't know if it's a rumor or fact.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  But would appreciate any info that any of you have, esp. if it's up-to-date.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2005, 10:26:26 AM »

Here's an idea from our British friends:

The Independent 06/14/05  
by Terry Kirby  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At ¡7.95 a bottle, it's cheaper than a pair of green wellies but guaranteed to provide that authentic country look.

For the urban 4x4 in search of some rural street-cred the solution has arrived: spray-on mud.

Even though your 4x4 may never have tackled anything more arduous than a speed bump on the school run, you can apply Sprayonmud to give that country feel to your car. And with stones and grit filtered out, and a little water added, there's no risk of scratching the paintwork.

The new product is the brainchild of Shropshire businessman Colin Dowse, who claims it is selling fast, with many customers in the US, where SUVs are popular among urban drivers. It started out as just a pub joke about these people who live in London and drive 4x4s but who never go to the country, he said.

Mr Dowse denies that the real purpose of Sprayonmud is to obscure number plates to prevent them being picked up by speed cameras or, in London, congestion charge cameras.

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2005, 12:01:06 PM »

/Bill

I wondered if the EZPass would be used for this, although in New Jersey they say no.
But, I took my EZPass statement and did some research. I found one trip coming home from work that showed a time stamp between two toll booths of about 7 ½ minutes. These two toll booths are approximately 22 mile apart.

That puts my speed at 176 mph. I can truthfully say that I don’t think my 1999 shoebox shaped Tahoe will do even 1 mph over 150
[smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 01:41:42 PM by porthole2 »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2005, 01:07:43 PM »

Like the CHP has to prove that their cars speedometer has been calabrated every quarter, for clocking speeds........I'd think that they would have to show that the clocks on their EZ Pass system are all calibrated and syncrhnized quarterly, also......in order to make the ticket stick.  If they're not doing that, then I'd fight it on the grounds that they haven't proven "beyond a reasonable doubt".

West Coast GTG   

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 04:26:09 PM »

Like the CHP has to prove that their cars speedometer has been calabrated every quarter, for clocking speeds........I'd think that they would have to show that the clocks on their EZ Pass system are all calibrated and syncrhnized quarterly, also......in order to make the ticket stick.  If they're not doing that, then I'd fight it on the grounds that they haven't proven "beyond a reasonable doubt".

[smiley=nixweiss.gif] liberals......     so... do you suppose that a judge will side with you when the ticket is for 75... or 95... or 125+ in a 55?

I'm a speeder I assure you, so I'm not throwing stones.  But you should know that speed detection equipment is engineered to error on the side of what is being timed.  

They error in your favor always.... and MOST traffic court judges know that.  But you may get lucky... OJ and MJ are out playing golf together at Neverland.  Things ARE different in Cali.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]  Good luck with THAT defense.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2005, 03:40:46 AM »

[smiley=nixweiss.gif] liberals......     so... do you suppose that a judge will side with you when the ticket is for 75... or 95... or 125+ in a 55? ....

[smiley=vrolijk_4.gif] Thanks DJW,  I was trying to tell my new mechanic that I had this scary wobbling in the front handlebars that at 82 or up was annoying, but that at 110 it scared the heck out of me, and caused me to back off on the speed and I could not keep up with my husband on the way home from Myrtle Beach.  He looked at me at first like I was joking, but when he could see there was no humor in my eyes as was showing him how much my hands were moving, he asked me what I thought the judge would say to going more than double the speed limit in most states. Not that he was judging my speed for safety factors ---- but like you are hinting at DJW,  What sympathies can one lean on the judge when clocked at even close to that speed?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Not that I ride like that all the time everywhere, of course, but I have to ask myself what tolerance should we be looking for. I use the ole 10 mile over the posted speed almost everywhere as a rule of thumb when I am in unfamiliar areas, the speed of my fellow travelers and I darn right obey the law in those areas known to be targeted by money making speed traps. We have a county in our back yard, Henrico County, that is famous for making a large sum of money every year for busting speeders. They have a no slack cut rule. One mile over is speeding. And they have a large enforcment contingency, and they make a lot of money.  Do not speed through their area - you will get ticketed.  Well maybe they let you go in the 5-8 mile over area.  

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2005, 01:49:57 PM »

[smiley=nixweiss.gif] liberals......     so... do you suppose that a judge will side with you when the ticket is for 75... or 95... or 125+ in a 55?

I'm a speeder I assure you, so I'm not throwing stones.  But you should know that speed detection equipment is engineered to error on the side of what is being timed.  

They error in your favor always.... and MOST traffic court judges know that.  But you may get lucky... OJ and MJ are out playing golf together at Neverland.  Things ARE different in Cali.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]  Good luck with THAT defense.

It's not luck, it's law.  You, being an ex-law, would know that! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

West Coast GTG   

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2005, 08:47:45 AM »

...not ex, unless you know something that I don't.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] Are you telling me that if you were caught in excess of 100 mph in a 55... that you think that defense would work?  Have you hit your head recently? Or is California that SCREWED up? [smiley=zstupid.gif] .... right, stupid question.  [smiley=confused.gif]

Mrs We, I think you could plead temporary insanity.  Because you're probably going to get a felony reckless charge instead of a traffic ticket in VA.  Knowing what I know about VA, that's just an educated guess.  Or... You could always move to CA and hope that some excessively liberal judge will believe that the speed detection equipment errored so badly that it doubled your speed  [smiley=confused.gif]

[smiley=beerchug.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2005, 09:05:26 AM »

Yeah, I can tell you from personal experience that when they clock you over the century mark, they deal with you differently than a usual 'speeding' ticket.......seems that it gets 'personal' or something.....and you usually go straight to 'lock-up'.  Unless ya'll know something that I don't, you will eventually learn that you can't run around at those speeds forever w/o losing your ticket to ride.  But, enjoy the ride until that lesson is learned, I know I did!    [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  Har!   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2005, 09:32:59 AM »

Spyder

Definately sounds like words of experience speaking!

I paid the fine for mine and hope it's the last time.

Remember it was a camera that got me, not a man!

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2005, 09:52:45 AM »

...seriously though.... it doesn't need to be that high even.  If you are clocked at 75 in a 55... you can't really claim equipment error with a judge who wasn't born yesterday.  

If equipment errors, it's between 2-3 mph....  And again, in your favor.  You had better come up with a better defense.  

And again, I can't speak for screwy CA (the Terminator IS your governer so apparently anything goes), but that won't work anywhere else.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2005, 01:22:39 AM »

...seriously though.... it doesn't need to be that high even.  If you are clocked at 75 in a 55... you can't really claim equipment error with a judge who wasn't born yesterday.  

If equipment errors, it's between 2-3 mph....  And again, in your favor.  You had better come up with a better defense.  

And again, I can't speak for screwy CA (the Terminator IS your governer so apparently anything goes), but that won't work anywhere else.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Hey DJ, do you know if there are regular equipment check or calibration requirements that have to be logged?  In Missouri I think there used to have to be such logs maintained on the equipment but seem to remember a few years ago about the log / service /calibration requirement either being done away or just no longer being publicly accessible.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2005, 08:58:39 AM »

Hey DJ, do you know if there are regular equipment check or calibration requirements that have to be logged?  In Missouri I think there used to have to be such logs maintained on the equipment but seem to remember a few years ago about the log / service /calibration requirement either being done away or just no longer being publicly accessible.

Don, I can't speak for every state... In Illinois, we are pretty much on our honor with respect to calibration checks.  We keep tuning forks, 2 - one "35mph", and one "55mph", in the vehicles, and some devices can test themselves.  You hit that tuning fork on the spotlight, hold it in front of the device and if it reads what the fork says you're legal.  There's no real mandated documentation, although I'm certain some more progressive departments keep some.  As long as you can testify that you have "recently" checked the device for accuracy, you're good.  I have seen the radar read "53" or "54" when a "55" fork is presented to it.  Again, they error in your favor.  That's what astounds me about the CA mentality.  It's not going to read "80"  if you're doing "65".  Plus, the equipment has come so far that errors are very few and far between.  I can imagine that the MO. logs may have been done away with (again, we never had any) once the public found that radar wasn't some form of voodoo or witchcraft.  Once it was generally accepted, the need for the documentation may have gone away...  and maybe they just aren't publicly accessable in MO...  In IL we are not required to show you the radar.  That one, even I disagree with... but I don't make the law...  [smiley=policeman.gif]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 08:59:46 AM by DJW »

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2005, 10:12:09 AM »

DJW - I remember studying radar (not laser) when police officers would use: as the term they used - HISTORIC recording and moving recording - on an historic recording the officer is sitting stationary studing traffic flow and recording - moving is actually more difficult and related to many outside factors (remember the tree they recorded years ago doing 65 mph) if the ticket was from the historic event - it is pretty well dead nuts unless his equip is not calibrated - but after recieving a ticket it came down to - was my speedo calibrated to prove anything. There are factors as "cosine angle factor" and other equipment usage to take into consideration -
the vehicle speed sensor - speedo head are calibrated from the fatory as to tire size - pulses per mile - gear rations of final drive - when any of these factors change you have a speedo readout variance - around here on the x-way these guys are top notch with radar and almost always use the historic form of shooting ya  [smiley=rifle.gif] - if you wish to make some money pm me and I will give you an invention that will film you speeding and be dead nuts without throwing any form of signal laser or microwave

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2005, 11:12:03 AM »

Once it was generally accepted, the need for the documentation may have gone away...  and maybe they just aren't publicly accessable in MO...  In IL we are not required to show you the radar.  That one, even I disagree with... but I don't make the law...  [smiley=policeman.gif]

That's pretty much exactly the time frame I remember DJ.  The requirement for that kind of thing was a loooong time ago.  Far enough back when hand held radar was perceived as something akin to voodoo or the casting of runes.  A good friend of me here that works for the county has for some years asked (or gets volunteered to) for a ride along partner some evenings when a shift might be thin and they know a friendly face might be farther away when they'd like.  So I know I've not seem him do anything other than twang the tuning fork.  No records kept though.

Now that you mention it I'm assuming Missouri doesn't require the showing of the radar display either.  As I've almost never witnessed it being done.  The state must at least allow it to happen though.  As I've also watched it being used to begin to pacify someone who was just sure "I couldn't have been going that fast."

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2005, 11:46:20 AM »

"How old were you when "On Any Sunday" came out?"  I was 18 mo. old [smiley=nervous.gif]. Damn.

And shovel... it's not trees that the radar picks up... it's the backs of large street signs.  The refective material can confuse radar units, and appear as ghosts.  But, no decent (no jokes please) cop is going to time you for a split second.  [smiley=laugh.gif]  And if you factor in laser units... fogetttaboutit.  There's no defense.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 11:48:23 AM by DJW »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2005, 11:52:52 AM »

"How old were you when "On Any Sunday" came out?"  I was 18 mo. old [smiley=nervous.gif]. Damn.

Damn DJ, you're more of a pup than I realized.  18 months old?  I actually don't know exactly how old I was when it hit the street.  But pretty sure I was about 11 or 12 when my dad took me to see it.  Might say it made something of an impression....

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2005, 11:54:42 AM »

Looked up the release date... July of 1971
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 12:04:29 PM by DJW »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2005, 11:59:02 AM »

Look up the release date... July of 1971

Cool.  Thanks DJ.  And I remember seeing it in the summer time.  So I was 10 1/2.  And was then on the dirt at 10 1/2 and a few days.

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2005, 12:19:06 PM »

let me put it this way - I was way outa high school by then you toddlers  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] - still had no common sense either and had - had 52 driving points and been to drivers safety school 3 times back in Michigan -  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
I have been talked to many times by a man in a robe about velocity-intertia-jail (oops)

i remember when the radars beam was so large at the end of the shooting field (way beyond the vehicle they were shooting) that they could time a plane way out in  the background - most folks will take a ticket cause at one time or another they were speeding and figure its payback for the time they did not get caught - and if were I - it would have been at a higher rate of velocity anyhow  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2005, 08:18:34 PM »

let me put it this way - I was way outa high school by then you toddlers  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] - still had no common sense either and had - had 52 driving points and been to drivers safety school 3 times back in Michigan -  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
I have been talked to many times by a man in a robe about velocity-intertia-jail (oops)

i remember when the radars beam was so large at the end of the shooting field (way beyond the vehicle they were shooting) that they could time a plane way out in  the background - most folks will take a ticket cause at one time or another they were speeding and figure its payback for the time they did not get caught - and if were I - it would have been at a higher rate of velocity anyhow  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

I'm with you Shovel.  I was 20 years old and in the Marines......Aviation.......but still didn't have a lick of sense and thought I knew it all.  As a kid, I learned to ride on the canal banks and in the fields so it was all dirt till I got old enough that I thought I could get away with riding on the streets.  Those were the days my friend.....we thought they'd never end.........

West Coast GTG   

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2005, 09:46:54 PM »

Damn.... you guys are old!   [smiley=beerchug.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2005, 10:41:23 PM »

JC's quote
".......but still didn't have a lick of sense and thought I knew it all.  "

So JC are you telling us things are different now?

And I was looking forward to meeting you! [smiley=laugh.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2005, 11:49:22 PM »

Damn.... you guys are old!   [smiley=beerchug.gif]

I started celebrating anniversaries of my 39th birthday five years ago.  If it was good enough for Ronnie Reagan it's good enough for me!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2005, 05:13:58 PM »

Saw this advertised in the back of a Car and Driver magazine while at the doctor's office today and immediately thought of this thread: http://www.photoblocker.com

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2005, 05:48:28 PM »

Saw this advertised in the back of a Car and Driver magazine while at the doctor's office today and immediately thought of this thread: http://www.photoblocker.com

Thanks Brian.......just what I was looking for. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2005, 05:50:34 PM »

JC's quote
".......but still didn't have a lick of sense and thought I knew it all.  "

So JC are you telling us things are different now?

And I was looking forward to meeting you! [smiley=laugh.gif]

Yea, now I'm old enough to know that I don't know jack chit! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 21 queries.