Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Another Ticket, #@%*&$#  (Read 9166 times)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
Re: Another Ticket, #@%*&$#
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2005, 08:47:45 AM »

...not ex, unless you know something that I don't.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] Are you telling me that if you were caught in excess of 100 mph in a 55... that you think that defense would work?  Have you hit your head recently? Or is California that SCREWED up? [smiley=zstupid.gif] .... right, stupid question.  [smiley=confused.gif]

Mrs We, I think you could plead temporary insanity.  Because you're probably going to get a felony reckless charge instead of a traffic ticket in VA.  Knowing what I know about VA, that's just an educated guess.  Or... You could always move to CA and hope that some excessively liberal judge will believe that the speed detection equipment errored so badly that it doubled your speed  [smiley=confused.gif]

[smiley=beerchug.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2005, 09:05:26 AM »

Yeah, I can tell you from personal experience that when they clock you over the century mark, they deal with you differently than a usual 'speeding' ticket.......seems that it gets 'personal' or something.....and you usually go straight to 'lock-up'.  Unless ya'll know something that I don't, you will eventually learn that you can't run around at those speeds forever w/o losing your ticket to ride.  But, enjoy the ride until that lesson is learned, I know I did!    [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  Har!   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2005, 09:32:59 AM »

Spyder

Definately sounds like words of experience speaking!

I paid the fine for mine and hope it's the last time.

Remember it was a camera that got me, not a man!

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2005, 09:52:45 AM »

...seriously though.... it doesn't need to be that high even.  If you are clocked at 75 in a 55... you can't really claim equipment error with a judge who wasn't born yesterday.  

If equipment errors, it's between 2-3 mph....  And again, in your favor.  You had better come up with a better defense.  

And again, I can't speak for screwy CA (the Terminator IS your governer so apparently anything goes), but that won't work anywhere else.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2005, 01:22:39 AM »

...seriously though.... it doesn't need to be that high even.  If you are clocked at 75 in a 55... you can't really claim equipment error with a judge who wasn't born yesterday.  

If equipment errors, it's between 2-3 mph....  And again, in your favor.  You had better come up with a better defense.  

And again, I can't speak for screwy CA (the Terminator IS your governer so apparently anything goes), but that won't work anywhere else.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Hey DJ, do you know if there are regular equipment check or calibration requirements that have to be logged?  In Missouri I think there used to have to be such logs maintained on the equipment but seem to remember a few years ago about the log / service /calibration requirement either being done away or just no longer being publicly accessible.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2005, 08:58:39 AM »

Hey DJ, do you know if there are regular equipment check or calibration requirements that have to be logged?  In Missouri I think there used to have to be such logs maintained on the equipment but seem to remember a few years ago about the log / service /calibration requirement either being done away or just no longer being publicly accessible.

Don, I can't speak for every state... In Illinois, we are pretty much on our honor with respect to calibration checks.  We keep tuning forks, 2 - one "35mph", and one "55mph", in the vehicles, and some devices can test themselves.  You hit that tuning fork on the spotlight, hold it in front of the device and if it reads what the fork says you're legal.  There's no real mandated documentation, although I'm certain some more progressive departments keep some.  As long as you can testify that you have "recently" checked the device for accuracy, you're good.  I have seen the radar read "53" or "54" when a "55" fork is presented to it.  Again, they error in your favor.  That's what astounds me about the CA mentality.  It's not going to read "80"  if you're doing "65".  Plus, the equipment has come so far that errors are very few and far between.  I can imagine that the MO. logs may have been done away with (again, we never had any) once the public found that radar wasn't some form of voodoo or witchcraft.  Once it was generally accepted, the need for the documentation may have gone away...  and maybe they just aren't publicly accessable in MO...  In IL we are not required to show you the radar.  That one, even I disagree with... but I don't make the law...  [smiley=policeman.gif]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 08:59:46 AM by DJW »

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2005, 10:12:09 AM »

DJW - I remember studying radar (not laser) when police officers would use: as the term they used - HISTORIC recording and moving recording - on an historic recording the officer is sitting stationary studing traffic flow and recording - moving is actually more difficult and related to many outside factors (remember the tree they recorded years ago doing 65 mph) if the ticket was from the historic event - it is pretty well dead nuts unless his equip is not calibrated - but after recieving a ticket it came down to - was my speedo calibrated to prove anything. There are factors as "cosine angle factor" and other equipment usage to take into consideration -
the vehicle speed sensor - speedo head are calibrated from the fatory as to tire size - pulses per mile - gear rations of final drive - when any of these factors change you have a speedo readout variance - around here on the x-way these guys are top notch with radar and almost always use the historic form of shooting ya  [smiley=rifle.gif] - if you wish to make some money pm me and I will give you an invention that will film you speeding and be dead nuts without throwing any form of signal laser or microwave

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2005, 11:12:03 AM »

Once it was generally accepted, the need for the documentation may have gone away...  and maybe they just aren't publicly accessable in MO...  In IL we are not required to show you the radar.  That one, even I disagree with... but I don't make the law...  [smiley=policeman.gif]

That's pretty much exactly the time frame I remember DJ.  The requirement for that kind of thing was a loooong time ago.  Far enough back when hand held radar was perceived as something akin to voodoo or the casting of runes.  A good friend of me here that works for the county has for some years asked (or gets volunteered to) for a ride along partner some evenings when a shift might be thin and they know a friendly face might be farther away when they'd like.  So I know I've not seem him do anything other than twang the tuning fork.  No records kept though.

Now that you mention it I'm assuming Missouri doesn't require the showing of the radar display either.  As I've almost never witnessed it being done.  The state must at least allow it to happen though.  As I've also watched it being used to begin to pacify someone who was just sure "I couldn't have been going that fast."

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2005, 11:46:20 AM »

"How old were you when "On Any Sunday" came out?"  I was 18 mo. old [smiley=nervous.gif]. Damn.

And shovel... it's not trees that the radar picks up... it's the backs of large street signs.  The refective material can confuse radar units, and appear as ghosts.  But, no decent (no jokes please) cop is going to time you for a split second.  [smiley=laugh.gif]  And if you factor in laser units... fogetttaboutit.  There's no defense.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 11:48:23 AM by DJW »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2005, 11:52:52 AM »

"How old were you when "On Any Sunday" came out?"  I was 18 mo. old [smiley=nervous.gif]. Damn.

Damn DJ, you're more of a pup than I realized.  18 months old?  I actually don't know exactly how old I was when it hit the street.  But pretty sure I was about 11 or 12 when my dad took me to see it.  Might say it made something of an impression....

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2005, 11:54:42 AM »

Looked up the release date... July of 1971
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 12:04:29 PM by DJW »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2005, 11:59:02 AM »

Look up the release date... July of 1971

Cool.  Thanks DJ.  And I remember seeing it in the summer time.  So I was 10 1/2.  And was then on the dirt at 10 1/2 and a few days.

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2005, 12:19:06 PM »

let me put it this way - I was way outa high school by then you toddlers  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] - still had no common sense either and had - had 52 driving points and been to drivers safety school 3 times back in Michigan -  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
I have been talked to many times by a man in a robe about velocity-intertia-jail (oops)

i remember when the radars beam was so large at the end of the shooting field (way beyond the vehicle they were shooting) that they could time a plane way out in  the background - most folks will take a ticket cause at one time or another they were speeding and figure its payback for the time they did not get caught - and if were I - it would have been at a higher rate of velocity anyhow  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2005, 08:18:34 PM »

let me put it this way - I was way outa high school by then you toddlers  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] - still had no common sense either and had - had 52 driving points and been to drivers safety school 3 times back in Michigan -  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
I have been talked to many times by a man in a robe about velocity-intertia-jail (oops)

i remember when the radars beam was so large at the end of the shooting field (way beyond the vehicle they were shooting) that they could time a plane way out in  the background - most folks will take a ticket cause at one time or another they were speeding and figure its payback for the time they did not get caught - and if were I - it would have been at a higher rate of velocity anyhow  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

I'm with you Shovel.  I was 20 years old and in the Marines......Aviation.......but still didn't have a lick of sense and thought I knew it all.  As a kid, I learned to ride on the canal banks and in the fields so it was all dirt till I got old enough that I thought I could get away with riding on the streets.  Those were the days my friend.....we thought they'd never end.........
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2005, 09:46:54 PM »

Damn.... you guys are old!   [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 22 queries.