Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Towing A Trailer  (Read 4073 times)

PCC

• Full CVO Member
Towing A Trailer
« on: November 04, 2004, 12:21:09 PM »

There's snow in Reno today...so here's a semi-winter type topic for us. Would anyone like to comment on perceptions...experiences...re: towing a trailer vs. packing down with all the goods to go....say...to Sturgis or similar.

I usually ride with a guy who tows a Bushtec. He says he can hardly feel the thing behind him and it makes the trip more enjoyable because his bike handles the way it would when not loaded down. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Towing A Trailer
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 12:59:10 PM »

I owned a Bushtec for a couple years and really, really regreat selling it.  I agree with your friends assesment of towing a Bushtec.

By the way, I posted a link to their web site.....right now is the best time to buy one because of their annual winter special.

Check out this thread..........
http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cvo_other;action=display;num=1098558886
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
  • Have you kicked your tires lately?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 11:39:23 PM »

PCC,  I'm the member that owns the Bushtec that JCZ was referring about in the other post.   I picked mine up at the factory in TN last fall and after 6000 miles pulling it,  it's worth every $$ !  I'm not saying that because I own it but rather because it's everything that you read or hear about.  John and Andrew Preston are real nice ppl and they put out a great product.  

After my wife got over what some may call sticker shock,  she says to me,  I couldn't tell the trailer was behind us after our trip to Milwaukee for the 100th.  I saw the light bulb in her head come on after she said that.  I haven't heard a word about the cost after that. Since Milwaukee,  I've had the trailer loaded with her on the bike and have enjoyed our travels.  Whether going thru the Hills at Sturgis, or to Myrtle Beach via the Smokey Mountains,  I ran the Hills as if the trailer wasn't attached to my ride.

Before I made my purchase,  I checked out every trailer I could find or read about.  No regrets here.   The trailers hold their resale value very well.  I've seen early 90's models still pulling $1500-$2000.   Sometimes you may find them on EBay,  but they don't last long.  Sometimes ppl list them in the "Forum" on Bushtec's website.  They sell fast !   Read the forum,  it's filled with info and comments.  They also set up shop at several rallies thru out the seasons.

I wasn't going to spend $30k on my ride to pull a mediocre trailer behind it.  Here's something to think about.  At what cost would you put on your safety?  I've traveled behind bikes pulling trailers down the highways,  only to watch them bounce because of their suspensions.  As the trailer bounces,  you know that it's being felt on the bike thru the hitch which effects the handling.   Also,  if a tire goes flat,  it can be run on because of the ply tire they use.  Any tire shop should be able to fix it if it is flat.   30k miles is what the mileage is on the tires.  Bushtec also does their own "in house" painting.  They have cracked the color codes for all the major motorcycles companies before the formula's are made available to the public.  If they didn't,  I'm sure it's in progress of being.  My trailer is 25 cubic/ft of storage if I remember right which is plenty!

Oh yeah,  if you do buy one,  be ready to answer questions at rest areas etc...   [smiley=laugh.gif]

Hope this helps!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
'03 FLHRSEI2

rekoch

• Sandman
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 11:36:06 AM »

I have towed an American Legends trailer behind my 99 Road King for over 25,000 miles, without a problem, wouldn't think of taking a camping trip without it. It allows us to take a tent you can stand up in to change clothes, two cots, two chairs, a cooler, and lots of other little camping perks like lanterns and water jugs. What I liked about the American Legend trailer was the styling, it has fenders similar to the FL front fender, and tail lights and turn signals nearly exactly like HDs. It has an internal spare tire compartment, that doesn't reduce capacity, and will also hold a few tools and oil. The tire used is available at any WalMart, so you could travel a lot of places without a spare. I paid extra for the rotating hitch, and have never pulled a trailer without one. You don't know its back there until you pull in to park or get gas, you have to remember to pull a little wide around things. It will lower your mpg, and it will push you a little in a panic stop, but I think the extra carrying capacity and keeping the extra weight off of my bike is well worth it.

just my two cents,

rekoch

99 FLHR
01 FLSTFI
01 FXD Lehman Trike
03 VRSCA
05 FLHTSE, due in April

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 09:32:34 AM »

What type of hitch are you guys using on your bikes?  Hear good thing about hitch doctor.  Am borrowing a buddies legend for a 4 week trip to Canada and need a hitch for my bike.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 11:33:35 AM »

mr_magoo

I have an American Legend  and the hitch is a Drag Specialities hitch.
Same hitch is also available from Custom Chrome.
Not sure if one is available for a SEEG but have heard good things about the Hitch Doctor!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »

pics

Shovel, your pics didn't post.  It's a simple fix though.  You just need to rename the picture files and try again.  The files didn't upload because "(medium)" was part of the filename.  The site doesn't like the parentheses.  Rename the files to drop that part from the name and they'll work fine.

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 11:47:48 PM »

I have an N-Line trailer and can honestly say that you hardly notice that it is back there. We love it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 09:07:23 PM »

wagon

That's cool.......

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 11:05:06 PM »

Re-post of a hacked picture.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 11:07:16 AM »

I kinda like the way this rig looks.  It seems to me that the single wheel would get rid of all the bouncing around and the whole deal would handle right without any dynamic changes in corners under braking.  Just might be a bit heavy with 7 cases of MGD in it...  
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 09:59:38 PM »

Here are the pic's Chip posted of his really nice looking bike and trailer combo.  The pics are resized as per The Big Man's request and are now 800x600 for your viewing pleasure.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 10:01:29 PM »

And Chip's picture #2:

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 10:14:39 PM »

Thanks Twolane

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 10:18:17 PM »

Thanks Twolane

No problem Chip.  That's a nice looking rig.  And that luggage rack on the trailer lid is fracking huge.  Is that where you tie down the cute female hitchhikers when Nancy isn't looking ? [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 10:38:11 PM »

Nancy's here with me and she said I could tie some down if she could take the video camera and tape you as you passed by looking at the girl in the bikini.

After pondering on that suggestion for 3/5ths of a second, I'm thinking
"HELL YES" I'm in. Don that would be good for both of us! [smiley=laugh.gif]

YEP, I like making Nancy happy!
For me, it's all about her!

GoFastGirl

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 02:01:59 PM »

oh my god you are such a guy sometimes !

First off, you gotta love it when a plan comes together.  Next, however, is to admit that the following picture is really all about simple prurient interest and generally just being a perv.  Having said all that, however, I am going to claim with a completly straight face that it is contextual to this thread.  After all, Nancy said something about bikinis and the whole topic is trailers (aka, behinds).

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2005, 03:23:17 PM »

First off, you gotta love it when a plan comes together.  Next, however, is to admit that the following picture is really all about simple prurient interest and generally just being a perv.  Having said all that, however, I am going to claim with a completly straight face that it is contextual to this thread.  After all, Nancy said something about bikinis and the whole topic is trailers (aka, behinds).

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
 Don't want "peace."  Want it "ALL!"  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later--HUBBARD

2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

harleyd103

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 10:26:32 AM »

I just bought the N-line trailer and have to say it's great. I pulled a two wheeled trailer for about 30,000 miles and this one wheeler is definitley the way to go. Wieghs 79lbs empty and max cargo load is 100lbs. I like how it tracks with the bike and leans into the corners with you. .

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 08:52:47 AM »

Ended up getting a bush tech vertical hitch.  The hitch doctor was about 3 weeks out in production and bush tech had it in stock.  Thanks for the help.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 09:41:33 AM »

What is a bushtec vertical hitch?

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=worthless.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 11:47:13 AM »

What is a bushtec vertical hitch?

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=worthless.gif]

Chip it's a ball type hitch (unlike the captured ball and heim joint that Bushtec is known for).  Go to this link, scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll see it.  It is a pretty clean installation, as far as hitches go.  When your saddle bags are on, you don't see any hardware out of the norm, other than the ball itself.

http://www.bushtec.com/whatsnew.html
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 04:44:07 PM »

Ok will try and take a few pics and post.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

05yellowse

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2005, 06:51:48 PM »

Isn't peace a wonderful thing to see. Gosh,I love volleyball [smiley=rolleyes5.gif] for some reason.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 24 queries.