Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Re: common good  (Read 7728 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: common good
« on: July 10, 2005, 10:11:08 PM »

Shovel, I'm sure many will appreciate the editorial efforts you made.  It's easy to be of two minds where the wandering topics though.  So far as Fatboy's thread wherein he asked nicely that guys really try to stay as narrowly focused as they could it'll always be a good thing to exercise the courtesy of doing just that for our fellow users.  

On other topics where we've wandered though the wandering, while often amusing, doesn't always do much more than string along the conversations.  Sometimes, however, the conversation gets strung along until such a time that someone throws in something important.  That might not have happened if the thread had just been allowed to die for lack of chatter.  Other times the wider ranging and tangential discussions bring up something important or otherwise interesting that might have been totally unrelated to the original topic.  Sometimes, however, the banter and the exchanges are their own reward.

I know that I'm as bad as anyone about just bantering within a thread.  Certainly try to offer up factual data or anecdote based on what limited experience I've got when the opportunity has been there.  It's the best way we've got to help each other out here after all.  But such "on point" responses just aren't always possible; especially when we're just curb racing.  

I think it's good to know we can go both ways.  Work as narrowly and as on point as possible when we need to or it's requested of us (including checking ourselves after the fact) and also be able to kick back with the keyboard in your lap, put our feet up, an MGD on the desk, and just enjoy this place when it's appropriate and we're not stepping on someone else's topic as we do so  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 02:09:04 AM by twolanerider »

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 10:31:26 PM »

Come on Don!

quote below,

"I know that I'm as bad as anyone about just bantering within a thread"

That's not the TwoLane I know.

Or am I'm just confused?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 10:35:42 PM »

That's not the TwoLane I know.

Or am I'm just confused?

Well it's a sure bet that you're occasionally confused Chip.  But it's also a sure bet that even though I spend a fair amount of time sometimes double checking sources or putting together part numbers and links to answer someone's question that I also just bullchit for the hell of it around here because it's so damned much fun  [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 10:45:33 PM »

YEP

That's the TwoLane I know!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 10:46:29 PM by hd2003-se2005 »

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 01:23:56 AM »

I personally deleted many a post's from me that had nothing to do with the topic of the thread - also FATBOY has started a thread concerning TOP DOG"S - my hat is off for the subject and I also deleted a 1st post on this thread - relating back a few weeks ago brought this action on my part of un-necessary - space consuming crap conversation - also the posts I deleted wavered off topic - and to keep these threads on topic I resorted to delete for the sake of the MEMBER that originated the thread. Naitram started an awesome place for us to visit - to learn - to meet with one another and may this continue into the future for all - may we all bring many a new members to OUR HOME - Naitram HOME

I must disagree. The wavering off topic is what makes this site different and enjoyable. You become friends with others through bantering, joking, and bullcrap that other sites don't allow or encourage. I personally enjoy reading off comment responses from all. For me this site has become a refuge for a stressful day and a common ground of a particular enjoyment. I say, bring on the comments, be them on topic or not.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 09:07:56 AM »

Well put Laker. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
hdnut

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 09:26:05 AM »

Guys & Gal's,

Maybe the site could/should add a "Facts & Figure's Only" section to the main board that would be rightfully policed by the moderater's. This way someone seeking pure "information only" can find it easily, concisely and in one place.

The everyday way things are done here are fun and enjoyable for all. But shouldn't the context and spirit of a thread be adhered to out of mutual respect by its initiater once it's been requested?

The "Top Dog SEEG" thread I started as a tool for all user's both current and future has been hijacked into a "Chatty Cathy what's up with you, let's act like school girls and blow up this thread. hehehe!" conversation. It's purpose has been successfully defeated by those who either can't read or have no regard for another member's objectives.

PM's work like a charm to banter back and forth off topic with a friend. Heck, you can even set yourself up a "Buddy List". So those with nothing of value to say can give their buddies nothing of value to read and we'll all live happily ever after. [smiley=confused5.gif] Or something like that. [smiley=laugh.gif]

If used properly by staying on topic the threads will remain more enjoyable for all. IMHO... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Respectfully,
             Fat Boy

PS: Shovelhead .....Thank you for your thought's!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 11:10:46 AM »

Guys & Gal's,

Maybe the site could/should add a "Facts & Figure's Only" section to the main board that would be rightfully policed by the moderater's. This way someone seeking pure "information only" can find it easily, concisely and in one place.

The everyday way things are done here are fun and enjoyable for all. But shouldn't the context and spirit of a thread be adhered to out of mutual respect by its initiater if it's been requested?

The "Top Dog SEEG" thread I started as a tool for all user both current and future has been hijacked into a "chatty Cathy what's up with you" conversation. It's purpose has been successfully defeated by those who either can't read or have no regard for my objectives.

PM's work like a charm to banter back and forth off topic with a friend. If used properly  by staying on topic the threads will remain more enjoyable for all. IMHO... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Respectfully,
              Fat Boy

PS: Shovelhead .....Thank you for your thought's!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Fatboy, I think that's a great idea.....then we'd have the best of both worlds.  I'll get with Naitram and the other moderators and discuss it.

I thank you too, Shovelhead.  While I've not gone back and deleted any of my old posts, lately I have noticed that I'm more aware of "is it related to this topic?" in my head.  I still might cut up with joking but I try not to totally sway off on another topic from the one I'm in, other than the funnin.  

I've attempted to go back and find things for newer members asking a question and sometimes it's really hard to wade through all the mud to get to what I was looking for.  I just think it's a good idea Fatboy.....thanks a bunch! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 12:57:59 PM »

shovelhead71.....what were you doing, moving the V-Rod....pushing it backwards or what?  Scary!  Much damage?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]   spyder          (oh, guess you can tell I haven't left for the Gulf Coast yet......leaving tomorrow.  Har!  Hope you're not getting too much flooding at your place(s)  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 01:01:49 PM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 02:12:51 PM »

Dang!  Man, I'm sorry........it doesn't matter how it happens, it's a bummer all the way around.  And these lessons seem to last just so long, don't  they?  And then we lapse back into our old ways.  Well, maybe the dealership will take pity on you and not hurt you worse than you've already been............ [smiley=brood.gif]    spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 02:33:30 PM »

I responded yes to the poll, however I don't see it happening unless the members here respect the request. Its very easy to get off topic and as others here have said there is sometimes some very good info that comes out of these off topic discussions. I think policing  by the moderators and deleting off topic posts may rub people the wrong way even if they deserve to be deleted. I think we should all try to stay on topic in all of the threads!

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 06:02:54 PM »

I would like a tech slot, sort of.....    I would miss too muych good info if it was a segregated area, because most of the good info I get is from the rambling part of a thread.  [bgcolor=Red] If we could just use, say, a different color background for " on-topic, tech related responses", and leave them mixed in with the rest of everything, then you could just quickly scroll to the tech stuff, and leave the normal flow of conversation alone... [/bgcolor]  I voted yes on the poll, but I guess my vote is actually a no.  Shoulda thunk before I voted...   (Not the first time you've heard that, eh?!

Like this one,  there's the techchit up there, and this area down here is just everyday info.   Where I can just carry on the conversation.... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 04:37:10 PM by Coolbreeze »
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 06:08:12 PM »

Damn Coolbreeze........I thought somebody had stabbed my monitor!  Where do you turn that color on and off?     [smiley=nervous.gif]   spyder

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 06:46:57 PM »

Don't fix it if its not broke.  Cool Breeze you can   change          you'r vote.  

OTIS
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 10:57:30 PM by otis »
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 08:10:07 PM »

Have we run out of bike stuff to discuss? I'm with Otis

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 01:31:45 AM »

This forum is diffrent than any other one I have been on  in a very good way that makes it special. They are HD forums out there that stay on topic and is not a bit of fun, so  what I 'am  saying diffrent strokes for diffrent folks keep searching till you find what you are looking for and leave this special little forum alone.

I REMAIN OTIS [smiley=bigok.gif]

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 01:45:31 AM »

This forum is diffrent than any other one I have been on  in a very good way that makes it special. They are HD forums out there that stay on topic and is not a bit of fun, so  what I 'am  saying diffrent strokes for diffrent folks keep searching till you find what you are looking for and leave this special little forum alone.

I REMAIN OTIS [smiley=bigok.gif]

What he said!!! I agree this place is special....we don't need any changes. Many times I have had to clean the monitor after spritzing beer on it cause I'm laughing so hard. Change that and you change the personality....LET IT BE... [smiley=beerchug.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 06:50:58 AM »

A special blend of 'clowns' and 'knowledgeable-techs' and 'ole-skool seat of the pants experience' and just good people with a genuine love of Harleys is hard to beat!  Har!    [smiley=7.gif]spyder

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 08:01:07 AM »

A special blend of 'clowns' and 'knowledgeable-techs' and 'ole-skool seat of the pants experience' and just good people with a genuine love of Harleys is hard to beat!  Har!    [smiley=7.gif]spyder

So I guess I'm one of the [smiley=clown.gif] Otis is one of the [smiley=scholar.gif] and Spyd you'd be the  [smiley=bandana.gif]

See, where would we be without the off-topic stuff? [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 09:22:35 AM »

The last time I checked, the "Twin Cam", "EVO", and "REVOLUTION" forums were completely on topic. Why would we need to start another to accomplish the same feat.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 04:25:29 PM »

[bgcolor=Red]  Hey Spydglide !!!!    [smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif] [/bgcolor]

When you're posting, the buttons are right up     ^    there and they let you  [bgcolor=Blue]  change background and font [/bgcolor]  and do other cool stuff like super script      and sub script   and line through the stuff ya wanted to say but didn't want to admit     and you can even glow in the dark for folks that type at night...  

Is that cool or what!     [bgcolor=Red]   [smiley=cherry.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=cherry.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif]  [/bgcolor]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 04:35:15 PM by Coolbreeze »
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 04:31:20 PM »

There Otis, I changed my vote to match what I thought....  
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 08:05:42 PM »

I'm with brother OTIS.  I like getting off topic at times and having fun with all those concerned. By the way "what do you think of smallmouth bass?"

REGARDS
SHRADER
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 07:46:03 AM »

Only 26 votes to date. Hmmmmmm [smiley=confused5.gif]

1270 member's with vote's still outstanding.

Unless ??????  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

You don't think????? [smiley=furious.gif]

Ah, maybe they are just too busy using the "other guys" forum's........ [smiley=shocked2.gif]

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 08:17:53 AM »

I'm with brother OTIS.  I like getting off topic at times and having fun with all those concerned. By the way "what do you think of smallmouth bass?"

REGARDS
SHRADER

I prefer tilapia or grouper  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 09:57:40 AM »

Ah, maybe they are just too busy using the "other guys" forum's........ [smiley=shocked2.gif]

repeate after me....

there are no other forums

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 10:40:53 AM »

Only 26 votes to date. Hmmmmmm [smiley=confused5.gif]

1270 member's with vote's still outstanding.

Unless ??????  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

You don't think????? [smiley=furious.gif]

As in everything else, there is the silent majority that read and have opinions but don't post very often. I think we do a good job of exchanging information. Two thoughts: if we have a separate place for "information only" posts with "moderators policing" things (which they do a good job already) there would be no spontaneous comments or humor.
Sounds too "Big Brother" to me.
And I read thru your Top Dog thread and I saw a lot of valuable information...several people took the time to give prices etc. I did see some humor  [smiley=nervous.gif]injected in several of the replies but I think the bottom line was a valuable information exchange. The humor and personalities involved is what make this site unique! My .02

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 11:03:16 AM »

So the consensus I'm getting here is "if it works don't fix it". Well I have been around long enough to say that statement is stale and if you all believed it you'd be ridin' a knuckle or a panhead anything but a Twin Cam, my point is their is always room for improvement and I hope we can all be that open minded because if we tried a tech section and it was detracting from the main site we could remove it later, personally I occasionally use this site as a technical resourse however as the info grows that function has become more difficult to ultilize/search for.
just my 2 bucks [smiley=argue.gif] [smiley=sauer021.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 01:37:20 PM »

[smiley=bigok.gif]

Otis said it better than I can.  

[smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 02:04:54 PM »

Hear ye hear ye...........   I agree with Otis.
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 02:42:19 PM »

Is everyone clearly understanding the issue and possible remedies?

I have my doubt's since we are trying to add to or enhance the site for "ALL" user's. And some people are fighting mad.........

The goal was not to take anything away from anyone.

Sometimes change is good......(you wouldn't want the AMF days to still exist). Would you?

Maybe the "Top Dog SEEG" thread belongs under "Twin Cam" instead of the "General Forum" which is what it is, a general discussion area. Being placed there by mistake [smiley=behead.gif] has sparked much debate. [smiley=argue.gif]

Would everyone be able to stay on the topic if it was moved to another area? How should "facts and figure's" be referenced?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

It's ok for everyone to enjoy the conversation, jousting and comedy (me included) within our extended family here.

However, why do you think people (mostly new) keep starting up new threads for old topics? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Could it be they can't easily find a direct answer on any given topic in the archives in a timely fashion, so they repost  out of frustration just to be recognized or heard and get the answer's they seek? Then we harp on that........ [smiley=rifle.gif]

Let's work toward a solution that better's the site! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 04:09:10 PM »

I believe that all things should be done to satisfy all peoples all the time excepting of course when some of those things needed to satisfy some of those peoples might in fact dissatisfy other peoples who we would then not want dissatsfied so in those cases we should in fact not work to satsify everyone everytime as doing so would only leave some dissatisfied most of the time except for the few times when those people would be dissatisfied and the remainder would then, of course, be once again satisfied thus negating the need to resatisfy their misperceived dissatisfaction.  

I hope I've made my position on this issue perfectly clear  [smiley=shocked2.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 04:22:54 PM »

Don

Can you repost that in English?

[smiley=laugh.gif]

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 04:47:04 PM »

I believe that all things should be done to satisfy all peoples all the time excepting of course when some of those things needed to satisfy some of those peoples might in fact dissatisfy other peoples who we would then not want dissatsfied so in those cases we should in fact not work to satsify everyone everytime as doing so would only leave some dissatisfied most of the time except for the few times when those people would be dissatisfied and the remainder would then, of course, be once again satisfied thus negating the need to resatisfy their misperceived dissatisfaction.  

I hope I've made my position on this issue perfectly clear  [smiley=shocked2.gif]

[smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 07:41:54 PM »

Don

Can you repost that in English?

[smiley=laugh.gif]

Chip when I looked at it after I'd typed I had this wicked flashback to an old MASH episode where Radar is going through some terrible doublespeak to try to both explain to Colonel Blake what he was doing and at the same time keep him from having any clue about what he was supposed to do  [smiley=7.gif]

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2005, 08:38:08 PM »

WOW  man got any more  of that chit man i want to try that chit man.

this is otis man [smiley=rolleyes5.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2005, 10:07:23 PM »

WOW  man got any more  of that chit man i want to try that chit man.

this is otis man [smiley=rolleyes5.gif]

Otis you made me laugh man.  Got me good with that one.  Had like flashbacks to Dennis Hopper but laughed a good one.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2005, 10:23:43 PM »

Is everyone clearly understanding the issue and possible remedies?

I have my doubt's since we are trying to add to or enhance the site for "ALL" user's. And some people are fighting mad.........

Sometimes change is good......(you wouldn't want the AMF days to still exist). Would you?

However, why do you think people (mostly new) keep starting up new threads for old topics? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Could it be they can't easily find a direct answer on any given topic in the archives in a timely fashion, so they repost  out of frustration just to be recognized or heard and get the answer's they seek? Then we harp on that........ [smiley=rifle.gif]

Let's work toward a solution that better's the site! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Fatboy,
  If something needs to be changed, naitram will change it.  If you want information, push the search button.  If you can't find it there, start a new topic.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2005, 10:39:57 PM »

. . . However, why do you think people (mostly new) keep starting up new threads for old topics? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Could it be they can't easily find a direct answer on any given topic in the archives in a timely fashion, so they repost  out of frustration just to be recognized or heard and get the answer's they seek? Then we harp on that........ [smiley=rifle.gif] . . .

Fatboy, newbies are prone to doing that on any board.  Check out any other Harley chat board you can think of and search on "pipes," "synthetic oil," "cams," "tires" or any number of other common topics and if you set the search criteria to go back several months I'll bet you'll end up with multiple threads on the same or near-same topic.  And on those other boards, yes, the newbies tend to get "harped on" for bringing up subjects that have previously been beat to death.  But contrary to the last sentence in the excerpt I quoted above, I can't say that I have witnessed that here.  Perhaps you can direct me to where that's occurred so I can have a look-see along with the other Moderators.

Regards,
103t

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2005, 10:40:47 PM »

Hubbard,

Tried the "search"/no luck [smiley=confused5.gif]

Tried the "New Thread"/failing miserably  [smiley=oops.gif]

Please send new "lesson" quick!   [smiley=help.gif]

Fat Boy

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2005, 11:17:42 PM »

So the consensus I'm getting here is "if it works don't fix it". Well I have been around long enough to say that statement is stale and if you all believed it you'd be ridin' a knuckle or a panhead anything but a Twin Cam, my point is their is always room for improvement and I hope we can all be that open minded because if we tried a tech section and it was detracting from the main site we could remove it later, personally I occasionally use this site as a technical resourse however as the info grows that function has become more difficult to ultilize/search for.
 just my 2 bucks [smiley=argue.gif] [smiley=sauer021.gif]

First, I don't agree "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is stale. It seems to be a good guide for a lot of people and a lot of subjects. Second, believing that has nothing to do with wanting to improve things, it appears that a lot of people are concerned the change will change the essence or personality of the forum. I have used the search quite a bit and have found what I wanted. Maybe its getting more difficult because of the volume of info.
here [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2005, 01:25:05 AM »

The last three or four posts all are on point and deserve a little synthesis.  It is easy for newer members to rehash old material.  It's just human nature.  They haven't seen it covered in front of them so to them it hasn't been covered.  Fatboy's thread on mod's title "Top Dog" is a good case in point.  

Others have talked before about narrowing the focus of certain threads.  Others have talked before about performance mods.  So there really is no new ground there.  But that doesn't mean that it's neither worthwhile nor even enjoyable to discuss again.  It's just curb racing; and that in an almost infinite variety of forms is what we do here.  With greater or lesser levels of detail and with more or less fun and games depending on the topic.  But that's basically what we do.

As for the search tool....  It's an acquired skill.  Harder at first.  But you get the hang of it after a time.   Larger quantities of material on the board does of course mean the responses themselves might be longer and need to be weeded through.  But once you get the hang of it the tool does tend to work quite well.  You might need to be creative in your searches.  You might need to think a bit about how you construct the words.  But it'll get you home if you let it.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2005, 08:50:50 AM »

by default the search tool only goes back 7 days. scroll down and increase the window. trust me if it has been posted you will find it with a search

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 21 queries.