Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Re: common good  (Read 7728 times)

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
Re: common good
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 02:42:19 PM »

Is everyone clearly understanding the issue and possible remedies?

I have my doubt's since we are trying to add to or enhance the site for "ALL" user's. And some people are fighting mad.........

The goal was not to take anything away from anyone.

Sometimes change is good......(you wouldn't want the AMF days to still exist). Would you?

Maybe the "Top Dog SEEG" thread belongs under "Twin Cam" instead of the "General Forum" which is what it is, a general discussion area. Being placed there by mistake [smiley=behead.gif] has sparked much debate. [smiley=argue.gif]

Would everyone be able to stay on the topic if it was moved to another area? How should "facts and figure's" be referenced?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

It's ok for everyone to enjoy the conversation, jousting and comedy (me included) within our extended family here.

However, why do you think people (mostly new) keep starting up new threads for old topics? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Could it be they can't easily find a direct answer on any given topic in the archives in a timely fashion, so they repost  out of frustration just to be recognized or heard and get the answer's they seek? Then we harp on that........ [smiley=rifle.gif]

Let's work toward a solution that better's the site! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 04:09:10 PM »

I believe that all things should be done to satisfy all peoples all the time excepting of course when some of those things needed to satisfy some of those peoples might in fact dissatisfy other peoples who we would then not want dissatsfied so in those cases we should in fact not work to satsify everyone everytime as doing so would only leave some dissatisfied most of the time except for the few times when those people would be dissatisfied and the remainder would then, of course, be once again satisfied thus negating the need to resatisfy their misperceived dissatisfaction.  

I hope I've made my position on this issue perfectly clear  [smiley=shocked2.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 04:22:54 PM »

Don

Can you repost that in English?

[smiley=laugh.gif]

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 04:47:04 PM »

I believe that all things should be done to satisfy all peoples all the time excepting of course when some of those things needed to satisfy some of those peoples might in fact dissatisfy other peoples who we would then not want dissatsfied so in those cases we should in fact not work to satsify everyone everytime as doing so would only leave some dissatisfied most of the time except for the few times when those people would be dissatisfied and the remainder would then, of course, be once again satisfied thus negating the need to resatisfy their misperceived dissatisfaction.  

I hope I've made my position on this issue perfectly clear  [smiley=shocked2.gif]

[smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif] [smiley=zstupid.gif]
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 07:41:54 PM »

Don

Can you repost that in English?

[smiley=laugh.gif]

Chip when I looked at it after I'd typed I had this wicked flashback to an old MASH episode where Radar is going through some terrible doublespeak to try to both explain to Colonel Blake what he was doing and at the same time keep him from having any clue about what he was supposed to do  [smiley=7.gif]

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2005, 08:38:08 PM »

WOW  man got any more  of that chit man i want to try that chit man.

this is otis man [smiley=rolleyes5.gif]
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2005, 10:07:23 PM »

WOW  man got any more  of that chit man i want to try that chit man.

this is otis man [smiley=rolleyes5.gif]

Otis you made me laugh man.  Got me good with that one.  Had like flashbacks to Dennis Hopper but laughed a good one.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2005, 10:23:43 PM »

Is everyone clearly understanding the issue and possible remedies?

I have my doubt's since we are trying to add to or enhance the site for "ALL" user's. And some people are fighting mad.........

Sometimes change is good......(you wouldn't want the AMF days to still exist). Would you?

However, why do you think people (mostly new) keep starting up new threads for old topics? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Could it be they can't easily find a direct answer on any given topic in the archives in a timely fashion, so they repost  out of frustration just to be recognized or heard and get the answer's they seek? Then we harp on that........ [smiley=rifle.gif]

Let's work toward a solution that better's the site! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Fatboy,
  If something needs to be changed, naitram will change it.  If you want information, push the search button.  If you can't find it there, start a new topic.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2005, 10:39:57 PM »

. . . However, why do you think people (mostly new) keep starting up new threads for old topics? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Could it be they can't easily find a direct answer on any given topic in the archives in a timely fashion, so they repost  out of frustration just to be recognized or heard and get the answer's they seek? Then we harp on that........ [smiley=rifle.gif] . . .

Fatboy, newbies are prone to doing that on any board.  Check out any other Harley chat board you can think of and search on "pipes," "synthetic oil," "cams," "tires" or any number of other common topics and if you set the search criteria to go back several months I'll bet you'll end up with multiple threads on the same or near-same topic.  And on those other boards, yes, the newbies tend to get "harped on" for bringing up subjects that have previously been beat to death.  But contrary to the last sentence in the excerpt I quoted above, I can't say that I have witnessed that here.  Perhaps you can direct me to where that's occurred so I can have a look-see along with the other Moderators.

Regards,
103t

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2005, 10:40:47 PM »

Hubbard,

Tried the "search"/no luck [smiley=confused5.gif]

Tried the "New Thread"/failing miserably  [smiley=oops.gif]

Please send new "lesson" quick!   [smiley=help.gif]

Fat Boy

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2005, 11:17:42 PM »

So the consensus I'm getting here is "if it works don't fix it". Well I have been around long enough to say that statement is stale and if you all believed it you'd be ridin' a knuckle or a panhead anything but a Twin Cam, my point is their is always room for improvement and I hope we can all be that open minded because if we tried a tech section and it was detracting from the main site we could remove it later, personally I occasionally use this site as a technical resourse however as the info grows that function has become more difficult to ultilize/search for.
 just my 2 bucks [smiley=argue.gif] [smiley=sauer021.gif]

First, I don't agree "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is stale. It seems to be a good guide for a lot of people and a lot of subjects. Second, believing that has nothing to do with wanting to improve things, it appears that a lot of people are concerned the change will change the essence or personality of the forum. I have used the search quite a bit and have found what I wanted. Maybe its getting more difficult because of the volume of info.
here [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2005, 01:25:05 AM »

The last three or four posts all are on point and deserve a little synthesis.  It is easy for newer members to rehash old material.  It's just human nature.  They haven't seen it covered in front of them so to them it hasn't been covered.  Fatboy's thread on mod's title "Top Dog" is a good case in point.  

Others have talked before about narrowing the focus of certain threads.  Others have talked before about performance mods.  So there really is no new ground there.  But that doesn't mean that it's neither worthwhile nor even enjoyable to discuss again.  It's just curb racing; and that in an almost infinite variety of forms is what we do here.  With greater or lesser levels of detail and with more or less fun and games depending on the topic.  But that's basically what we do.

As for the search tool....  It's an acquired skill.  Harder at first.  But you get the hang of it after a time.   Larger quantities of material on the board does of course mean the responses themselves might be longer and need to be weeded through.  But once you get the hang of it the tool does tend to work quite well.  You might need to be creative in your searches.  You might need to think a bit about how you construct the words.  But it'll get you home if you let it.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2005, 08:50:50 AM »

by default the search tool only goes back 7 days. scroll down and increase the window. trust me if it has been posted you will find it with a search
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 20 queries.