Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: List of riding gear for York PA Trip???  (Read 9161 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: List of riding gear for York PA Trip???
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »

Cooper/Black - Terry gave you the links for the H/D GoreTex Pac Lite Rain Gear already.  It's what I am using & it works well in warm weather since it is not lined & it wicks perspiration away.  For cold weather, make sure you get rain gear that is big enough to go over a jacket since the pac lite stuff is not warm enough to wear by itself in 50 degree rain. Pac Lite compresses into a reasonably small area - some of the other Gore Tex stuff is kinda bulky.  I prefer lighter weight & then layer up as needed.  The H/D version has some reflective material on the outside.  Other Pac Lite is available (non HD) & you may find some deals on it.  That Sierra Trading Post (also linked above)is a GREAT company.  Had the pleasure of visiting them in person on our bike trip to Cody, WY a while ago.

BTW - TCnBham is one of the very best sources for info on this board - or anywhere for that matter on motorcycle stuff.  :2vrolijk_21: 

Years ago when I was broke, a regular black trash bag with a couple of arm holes ripped in it was my rain gear.  Did not do much for arms/legs & it leaked of course but in a pinch, its better than nothing.  Now I'm broke from buying all this spiffy gear, but I'm more comfortable, dammit.   ;D

D00d - I considered FXRG gear & have not ruled it out for a future purchase.  Watching H/D's revisions on it to see if it gets closer to what I am looking for.

Mike, you make me blush, buddy... :-[  There's so much I don't know about motorcycles it scares me, but I am a gearhead on this kind of stuff.

I too have used plastic bags for boot liners, ponchos, etc...they are absolutely no fun, but when you're eating oatmeal and peanut butter, with the occasional 33 cent Taco Hell Burrito thrown in, you do what you've got to do.  Army surplus was my beginning "outdoor gear".   :huepfenlol2:  When you are 20 something you don't seem to notice being miserable as much as when you're 50 something.

The Frog Toggs will work, and they are cheap...they will melt in a New York minute though, and I'd just as soon not clean the stuff off my pipes.  Most of the better stuff will not melt very easily, and some even have a different material on the inside bottom of legs for extra durability.

The one advantage of the skiing/backpacking shell type jackets is they are normally made to put other things under them.  The HD gear is not cut large enough to wear a heavy leather jacket under, so that's where the other stuff, like fleece, comes in.  Fleece is the best thing for keeping warm since pajamas with feet in them...great insulator, will not absorb water (it's plastic), and it wicks the moisture from your body to the surface of the garment, where it evaporates quickly.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 09:52:48 PM »

Mike, you make me blush, buddy... :-[  There's so much I don't know about motorcycles it scares me, but I am a gearhead on this kind of stuff.

I too have used plastic bags for boot liners, ponchos, etc...they are absolutely no fun, but when you're eating oatmeal and peanut butter, with the occasional 33 cent Taco Hell Burrito thrown in, you do what you've got to do.  Army surplus was my beginning "outdoor gear".   :huepfenlol2:  When you are 20 something you don't seem to notice being miserable as much as when you're 50 something.
The Frog Toggs will work, and they are cheap...they will melt in a New York minute though, and I'd just as soon not clean the stuff off my pipes.  Most of the better stuff will not melt very easily, and some even have a different material on the inside bottom of legs for extra durability.

The one advantage of the skiing/backpacking shell type jackets is they are normally made to put other things under them.  The HD gear is not cut large enough to wear a heavy leather jacket under, so that's where the other stuff, like fleece, comes in.  Fleece is the best thing for keeping warm since pajamas with feet in them...great insulator, will not absorb water (it's plastic), and it wicks the moisture from your body to the surface of the garment, where it evaporates quickly.

I hear that!!   :P  And I am only 49 something!!   :)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 09:54:40 PM »

Frogg Toggs of today ain't the old Frogg Toggs. While they still have the original material, they've got some new materials which are much improved, more like Gore Tex. I got a set of their Elite Suit for Christmas and could not believe it came from the same people that produced my earlier stuff. It's REAL rain gear. It's not as packable as their earlier stuff, but it's a real garment, not that huge sack they called a jacket before.

At Christmas time they were sold out of their Elite suits and I see they still are, but take a look at Frogg Toggs, you'll be surprised with all of their new stuff.

www.FroggToggs.com

:indian_chief:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2008, 10:01:31 PM »

Coincidentally Terry - I started out with Army Surplus store stuff for camping & backpacking also.  The older I get the more I am willing to spend what it takes to be comfortable.  As you posted, when my BSR & I (early years) were eating 3/$1 Taco Barf Tacos for our evening out (quick weight loss program free included at no extra charge!), anything like a Harley bike or Gore Tex rain gear might as well have been rocket fare to the moon. 

I have used plastic bags inside the knees of my jeans to keep warm & wrapped them around my socks to keep my feet dry.  Now I'm more high tech, but in a pinch, it's good stuff to know. I never cared for those Frog Toggs.  Tried a pair & they look like a paper throw away dress from the 1960's to me.  :nixweiss:

Buddy, the compliment on your gear knowledge is sincere.   :2vrolijk_21:  Learned a lot from reading your posts.  As to the untouchable subject of politics - have a suspicion we might be a little bit apart there, but truthfully, that never bothers me.  Trying to get people to agree on that subject or religion is harder than trying to put a f@rt back where it came from. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »

Coincidentally Terry - I started out with Army Surplus store stuff for camping & backpacking also.  The older I get the more I am willing to spend what it takes to be comfortable.  As you posted, when my BSR & I (early years) were eating 3/$1 Taco Barf Tacos for our evening out (quick weight loss program free included at no extra charge!), anything like a Harley bike or Gore Tex rain gear might as well have been rocket fare to the moon. 

I have used plastic bags inside the knees of my jeans to keep warm & wrapped them around my socks to keep my feet dry.  Now I'm more high tech, but in a pinch, it's good stuff to know. I never cared for those Frog Toggs.  Tried a pair & they look like a paper throw away dress from the 1960's to me.  :nixweiss:

Buddy, the compliment on your gear knowledge is sincere.   :2vrolijk_21:  Learned a lot from reading your posts.  As to the untouchable subject of politics - have a suspicion we might be a little bit apart there, but truthfully, that never bothers me.  Trying to get people to agree on that subject or religion is harder than trying to put a f@rt back where it came from

Never heard it put quite like that before... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  But, truer words were never spoken.  I don't let the stuff bother me either, but sometimes I'm compelled to give an alternate view... :P ;D ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 03:43:30 AM »

Never heard it put quite like that before... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  But, truer words were never spoken.  I don't let the stuff bother me either, but sometimes I'm compelled to give an alternate view... :P ;D ;)
Y'all know that Terry is an ole hippie, right?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008, 07:09:23 AM »

Y'all know that Terry is an ole hippie, right?

His avatar is a clue.  But never considered him to be old.  Young at heart keeps ya young.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 07:29:40 AM »

His avatar is a clue.  But never considered him to be old.  Young at heart keeps ya young.

I'm especially fond of the American Beauty.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2008, 07:36:49 AM »

I'm especially fond of the American Beauty.

Saw the band once. 

You see something like this on the board here sometimes.....

Music was a job that paid like a hobby for me about 100 years ago or so.....  ;D

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »

This is on the list of riding gear I will probably wear.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 07:44:52 AM »

I can't seem to find the picture of mine, but this is a picture of one we saw at Myrtle Beach that had been colored, my kickstand.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 08:18:10 AM »

Oh, don't forget your usual gear to include camera, gun(s)/ammo, binocs, glasses, medicines (to include whiskey, etc), scarf (to gasket out the cold), extra gloves, flashlight......and so on.  :) har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 08:24:36 AM »

I'm so friggin excited.  I was looking online for HD leather jackets for my wife for the York trip and we settled on this one...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448771349&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302285751&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302285751&bmUID=1201180615921&bmLocale=en_US

Contacted two local dealers inquiring how to get one for us to try on/buy.  Both said it was discontinued and was a Christmas/short term availability item.

I Googled the description and found a dealer in FLA that had three on clearance.  I placed an order on their web site and got 30% off and NO freight or tax.  It saved me $200.  It shipped yesterday.  The dealer is Latus HD.  They are set up real well for internet ordering.  I'll let you know how the jacket looks and fits.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2008, 08:40:49 AM »

I'm so friggin excited.  I was looking online for HD leather jackets for my wife for the York trip and we settled on this one...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448771349&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302285751&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302285751&bmUID=1201180615921&bmLocale=en_US

Contacted two local dealers inquiring how to get one for us to try on/buy.  Both said it was discontinued and was a Christmas/short term availability item.

I Googled the description and found a dealer in FLA that had three on clearance.  I placed an order on their web site and got 30% off and NO freight or tax.  It saved me $200.  It shipped yesterday.  The dealer is Latus HD.  They are set up real well for internet ordering.  I'll let you know how the jacket looks and fits.
Hey, that is a nice looking jacket.  And getting it such a discount is big bonus.  I never saw that one in the shops.   ;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2008, 09:03:20 AM »

Saw the band once. 

You see something like this on the board here sometimes.....

Music was a job that paid like a hobby for me about 100 years ago or so.....  ;D

Hehehe. Sure do iski! Look at Binx's Avatar! ;)

Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 22 queries.