Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Water Spots  (Read 5200 times)

joeymaq

• Full CVO Member
  • Keep the wind in your hair, the bugs in your teeth
Water Spots
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:50:23 PM »

The product I am using to wash my bike is leaving water spots. looking for something that won't leave spots.  Anyone?   Thanks   "Joeymaq" :(
2009 Ultra Classic 96c.i., Vance & Hines basic slip on's ,Dyno Jet Power commander 5, Screamin Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Re: Water Spots
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:40:26 PM »

Bob aka Boatman tested out one product although i don't remember how it worked out, i imagine he will see this and comment, or you could send him a pm.

joeymaq

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:57:23 PM »

OK, Thanks "Ohio Dave" 
2009 Ultra Classic 96c.i., Vance & Hines basic slip on's ,Dyno Jet Power commander 5, Screamin Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:01:47 PM »

Wash your bike with anything you want, rinse first with tap water, second with soft water from a Mr. Clean unit or more expensive system.

Instead of the latter, you can meticulously towel dry it or blow dry it, but I prefer soft water rinse.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »

The product I am using to wash my bike is leaving water spots. looking for something that won't leave spots.  Anyone?   Thanks   "Joeymaq" :(

There are two issues involved that create the dreaded water spots.  One is the way water beads on the surface, more so on a freshly painted or waxed surface, and the other is the minerals present in the rinse water.  The first thing you need to do is use an automotive detergent/soap that has wetting agents in it, like the one in the Mr. Clean system.  They reduce the surface tension of the water and allow it to sheet rather than bead.  Then you need to eliminate the mineral issue with a deionized final rinse.  The previously mentioned Mr. Clean will work, but a larger system will work a lot better.  That is what Boatman installed, more of a commercial quality deionized water system.

If the right soap and rinse water are used, you can probably get away with just letting the surface drip dry (out of the sun, of course), but you will get a better result if you blow it dry and then touch up any remaining areas with a clean towel.  I use microfiber or an old cotton T-shirt myself.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

joeymaq

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:24:09 AM »

Thanks for the replys!   "Joeymaq"  :carrot:

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »

Wash with your choice of purpose formulated cleaning agents (I like Glare Ultra Wash) followed by copious rinsing with low pressure regular rinse water from the top down in every nook and cranny, followed by low pressure deionized water rinse from the top down in every nook and cranny, followed by a blow dry (I use a Husqvarna backpack leaf blower, followed by a detailed hand wipe with microfiber towels.

Then it's time to go to work......but that's out of scope for this topic.   :2vrolijk_21:

Elixer

• Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler [ Let The Good Times Roll ]
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 CVO 105th Annv. FLHRSE4 Build 1096/1800
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 12:48:41 AM »

I personally don't have this problem even though I frequently wash my MC. My secret (which hey, is no secret) is my trusty Home Depot Garden Leaf Blower. For me, and as most I do use a automotive car-wash solution as well, but have the blower plugged and ready to go as soon as I drop the garden hose after rinsing.

Wash in the shade when its (MC) is cooled down, and give a good B-job, before you crank it after the rinse.

I've owned and own a number of high-line automobiles, etc...but nothing seems more of a pleasure in terms of cleaning, than when my scoot startings a shining from its fresh wash. Chrome and Rubber.
Pic is my babe ~ get your own

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 06:34:40 AM »

I have a CR Spotless system and it works great:

I use it in conjunction with an 1800psi electric pressure washer in order to limit the flow to 2.5 gpm. Normally use Mother's California Gold car wash in the Pressure Washer tank.

I still blow dry everything, but this prevents spotting in case I miss an area. Eventually I'll put in a "wash station" and wall mount it inside, with just a spigot on the outside for de-ionized water. Very convenient to have the large unit on wheels.

As a test I have used the system in full sun and it really is a wash and walk away system. I only did it as a test, I would NEVER condone washing a vehicle in direct sunlight!

Link is here: http://crspotless.com/

I bought mine through Costco for less than $400 if I remember right.
Best $400 I've spent in a long time.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 07:18:41 AM »

I asked this question over a month or so ago and someone replied with using distilled water in a spray bottle. Use after all the soap is washed away. I have not tried it yet but think it could be a less expensive route. I love my craftsman blower/vaccume.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:45:01 AM »

try it one time. and when your hand stops cramping, go to Wal-Mart and get a Mr Clean set up
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 08:44:05 AM »

try it one time. and when your hand stops cramping, go to Wal-Mart and get a Mr Clean set up

LOL... I hear ya and think this is why I have yet to try it.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 09:44:04 AM »

I never have had that problem because I hand clean my bike with Cleaner/Brightner fluid and yellow cloths from Cosco. It takes a little longer but I know every square inch of my bike.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »

Use a micro fiber drying towel and dry the water, If you leave no water, you have no spots. Mr Clean, Distilled water, whatever, you have to remove the water when done washing to eliminate spots. Take 10 more minutes and dry it.. dry.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 11:58:21 PM »

Use a micro fiber drying towel and dry the water, If you leave no water, you have no spots. Mr Clean, Distilled water, whatever, you have to remove the water when done washing to eliminate spots. Take 10 more minutes and dry it.. dry.
Yeah, that's what I always do.  Reading this thread, I'm thinking.. :thinking2:...am I missing something here?  :oops: har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.