Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 99

Author Topic: I might be down, but I'm not out!  (Read 249879 times)

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: I might be down, but I'm not out!
« Reply #315 on: April 01, 2010, 03:20:40 AM »

Cancer update  March 31, 2010
Hello family, friends and folks,
Part 1

Time flies and more gets sent to the To Do List everyday it seems.
I finally had my C-scan yesterday (the 30th). It was a long day that started at an 8 am blood draw that filled several little tubes of my blood. I had to wait for all the tests to be done before I could see the Doc. And before you could know it there was the Doc and only 2 hours had gone by. LOL  Now, as I stated, I was set for a c-scan; NO FOOD OR DRINK. Man, I was getting hungry, I think everyone in the chemo room could hear me rumble. Oh well, at that point I only had 4 more hours before I could have my 2PM c-scan. I thought: NOOOOOO, Say it ain’t SOOOOOO!!!  I am hungry. Just as I’m thinking how long that wait was going to seem, the Nurse gave me 2 16 oz bottles of what looked like white powdered caulk with a little water just for good measure. The word Vannia was on the label, who are they kidding??  NOT ME!!  Anyway, one led was marked 12:00 NOON and the other lid was marked 1:00 PM  and as much as I didn’t want those special drinks made for clear c-scan shots, I started to think on vannaia, and vannia started to sound good, in fact, it started to sound down right tasty. I started to glance at my watch more often, not so much to see the time that I was boarded enough to look at the time, but then the glance was in reference to how much time will need to pass before I could drink down one of those refreshing cool vinnia mike shakes. Finally it was 12: Noon, I grabbed a drink unscrewed the top, ripped the tab of the top and gulped the whole thing down. I was about half done when my brain said, “WARNING-WARNING!!!-THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK”!!!  Slowly that thought took over every idea that I was getting refreshed. Suddenly, my mouth was filled clear down to my belly with this white gritty, pasty, Jell-O stuff that I just couldn’t find even a hint of vanilla in. Then I realize I wanted to stop swallowing but it seemed as though it was all one piece. So, with only all of it to Loose, I decided to go for it, and did. Yes, I finished. But the very sad fact, I was really only half done, I had to drink another one in 59 minutes. Have you ever notice when you are waiting for something you want it takes forever, BUT, if you’re not so much in a hurry to, let’s say, Drink some white gritty, pasty, jell-o stuff that lacks even a hint of vanilla in it and know you’d like to stop swallowing but won’t be able to because it is all one piece. Blaaaahhh  ‘twice even!!!”  LOL  That was a fast 59 minutes. I decided to take several breaths and slam it down as quick as I could. Again, I was down in less than a minute. I was proud of my self and walked proudly to the trash can even though my whole body would get this weird sort of shake, kind of like what a dog does just inside the door of your home when he got rained on for his outside nature call.
The C-scan went well. With a strange event to follow. The blood cath was left in the arm from the morning blood test, just so I wouldn’t have to get stuck again for the contrast juice that the c-scan required. After the scan, the CT Tech pulled out the blood caht and bandaged it I got off the table and got dressed. I then went to the waiting room where
Sue was and noticed blood all over the place, I mean lots of blood. As I was thinking some poor bugger is in bad shape and was bleeding all over the place. I went to point to the blood with my right hand and saw blood projecting from my hand. That’s when I noticed the poor bugger was me, I was squirting blood, like a squirt gun all over the place. The guy that did the scan on me walked me out to the waiting room so he could call the next name. He told me to sit down. I would have had to shimmy my way to any of the few seat that was available so I just stood there with my hand raised and put some pressure on it. Before you say the Gettysburg Address the bleeding was stopped and the big mess was cleaned up.
It hasn’t bled since.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 03:27:00 AM by chappy »
Ps 118:8

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #316 on: April 01, 2010, 03:28:44 AM »

Part 2
That was then, this is now-today March 31.

My Doctor had today off, but when he got the info about my c-scan he called me. Best I use the outline format to share the results of my contrast C-scan. Here goes

1.   No new cancer growth, including outside the chest cavity
2.   The Lymph Drop Mets didn’t show up
3.   Scar tissue was much less, including around my heart and lungs
4.   The tumor in left lung was gone
5.   The marginal area around the larges tumor that was removed is still cancer, but much of it is gone
6.   BEST NEWS, I don’t have to receive my 3 day cycle of chemo on  Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.
7.   More Best News, A PET scan has been ordered, those results may open the door for me to start radiation.
8.   But with every long ride you run the risk of rain, and so it is with this ride, and there is some rain. But it’s OK because I knew going into the surgery that there was a risk, in fact many risks. One risk has shown with clarity that it did happen and explains why I am having difficulty breathing, my frenetic nerve was cut during the operation. That frantic nerve is the nerve that works the diaphragm and causes the breath in and out as we breathe each time. Our amazing bodies have a back up system to breath. The good news is you don’t even have to think about it, the not so great news is the back up system isn’t quite as good or efficient as the good old diaphragm. But like I said many times, I can deal with that.

Next stop, A blood test tomorrow and then an appointment for a PET Scan. Then Radiation.
Hopefully, I’ll never have to deal with chemo sickness again. Yet, honestly, this whole ride has been much like a yoyo. I hope this is not just another “jo”.

Now for the very very best news yet…..
I hear this weekend is set for 80-degree weather here in the northeast. I’m hoping for a nice two-wheel ride. Sunday the 4th is Sue and mine 35th wedding Annverury. That day 35 years ago it was 27 degrees with fog and heavy mist, changed to heavy rain than snow. We ended up with 18 inches of heavy wet sticky type snow. I’m glad it’s not snowing this year.

Lot’s more to write but I beat you’re getting sick of reading.
So long for now
Ride safe, Ride long
Your friend
Sam, Dad, chappy, friend

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #317 on: April 01, 2010, 08:02:31 AM »

Great News Sam! I guess the sickness from the chemo was worth it. Continuing prayers for continuing improvement and some nice rides this spring!  :2vrolijk_21:

Craig

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #318 on: April 01, 2010, 08:48:54 AM »

I never get sick of reading that your improving Sam  :2vrolijk_21: Happy Anniversary to Sue and yourself and I hope you get to enjoy the nice weather out on two wheels this weekend :coolblue:  You remain in our prayers and thoughts my friend.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #319 on: April 01, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »

but I bet you’re getting sick of reading.

Not yet.  Please keep it up (and writing your story too).

Werkscycle

• 2006 CVO Ultra Classic

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE CVO
    • http://www.epgsoft.com/servlet/epgSoft.VisitedStatesMap.VisitedStatesMapPageServlet?states=AZ&states=CA&states=CO&states=ID&states=MT&states=NV&states=NM&states=OR&states=SD&states=UT&states=WY&height=175&fo
« Reply #320 on: April 01, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »

Sam,

Sorry to hear of your illness, stay positive and never lose your sense of humor, our thoughts and prayers are with you,never give up the fight we'll be pulling for you all the way.

Chuck
Werk'n it everyday

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #321 on: April 01, 2010, 10:01:30 PM »

Sam,
Happy 35th Anniversary to Sue and yourself!
Keep up the good work and you will catch Susie and I. We just celebrated our 44th yesterday.
I am so happy to read of your good, better, best report.
Enjoy your ride this weekend.
God Bless.
Your friend Mike
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:23:25 PM by MIKEYTEE »
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #322 on: April 01, 2010, 11:26:24 PM »

Sam,

Glad to hear from you, sounds like some positive news for you.  By the way Happy Anniversary, sounds like Sunday will be a great day, I hope you can get out and ride.  Let us know how the ride goes.  Our anniversary is the 21st, been together for 30 years, 20 of them married.  Ride safe and long.

Jim
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #323 on: April 02, 2010, 08:34:29 AM »

Lots of reasons for celebration this Easter weekend Sam!! Congratulations to you and Sue on your 35th Anniversary!!!   :beerchug:

Let's ride - Howie

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #324 on: April 02, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »

Stay positive Sam, your doing great! I think of ya everytime I take your old FXRG jacket for a ride.

JW

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2010, 01:46:44 AM »

Bro, listen to you. You sound great and it's not just your health that is the cause. Happy 35th Anniversary to you and Sue, that is great. I'm very happy for you both. Now, this weekend get out and let the wind hit you in the face, that is your gift to your self. And that will make her happy to see you get out as well. Have a safe ride Bro, and keep writing.

Your Friend,
Chris
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

grit

• GRIT
  • Junior CVO Member
  • CVO 2009; FLHTCUSE Stardust Silver/Twilight Blue
« Reply #326 on: April 06, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »

I think I can speak/write for all of us readers when I say continue to keep us informed. We all enjoy your ability to make our tough times seem so insignificant. I know that sounds so self centered but it's true. You've a Gods given ability to comfort those around you, and you are making each of us better through this media. My prayers continue daily ... all because of you. I pray for God to give you continued strength, to provide the doctors with the wisdom necessary to provide you with proper care, and for rapid healing. God Bless.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #327 on: April 06, 2010, 10:20:29 PM »

Hi folks this is Sue, once again writing for Sam. We so enjoyed riding the bike over the weekend although he is still recuperating from exhaustion. We rode about 6 hours on Saturday, had a beautiful ride but about 2 hours before getting home he knew he was approaching his limit. When we got home he pretty much veg’d out and went to bed really early.

On Sunday, our 35th wedding anniversary, brought us another 6 hour ride that started with seeing our kids and grandchildren and then met up with some friends that took us to lunch. Then the four of us rode down along the Conn. River in Vermont and enjoyed seeing no ice on the river and buds on the trees. Headed east back into New Hampshire and took the slow roads in a round about way back towards home. Stopped for gas about 45 minutes from home and it was obvious Sam had had enough for the day. Once we were home he went right to bed but thoroughly appreciated the ability to ride the two nice days we had.

Monday, we went to the chemo room at the VA Hospital  to say so-long to his chemo buddies and to wish them well and also had a chance to talk to the doc. We asked a few questions and was reassured that the CT scan looked good. He is having the PET scan done Friday, April 9th and that will point to either more chemo treatments or radiation treatments. But it seems as though the high doses of chemo that he has received already has brought his body to the limit at least temporarily. The doctor explained that if and when tests reveal that the cancer is showing growth then chemo will start again. So right now we are praying that the good news continues with a great PET scan to follow. Got home early Monday afternoon and Sam was still exhausted from the bike rides and went to bed again. He’s been laying low all day today and hopes to write to all of you guys again soon. He and I just want to say thank you for all your continued thoughts and prayers.

Warmly,
Sue

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
« Reply #328 on: April 06, 2010, 10:28:23 PM »

Sue,

Congratulations on your 35th anniversary! So happy to hear you two were able to get in so much riding, I'm sure it was good for the soul. Keep up the good spirits, we're always thinking of you both....

2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #329 on: April 06, 2010, 11:54:20 PM »

I sounds like a wonderful weekend for both of you,  I'm so happy to hear that you were able to get in a couple of nice rides while celebrating.  Sam, you take that well earned rest for now, cause there is plenty more good days ahead for you and Sue!! 

Always in our thoughts and prayers

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 99

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.