Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floating rotors  (Read 1053 times)

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
Floating rotors
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »

Anyone experience a audible clunk from the floating rotors? There is play at the rivets that allows the outer breaking surface to move forward and back enough to be herd and felt. This is really evident when you hold the brake and compress the forks. You can feel and see the tire jump forward.

The dealer said that it was rubber bushings in the caliper which we all know there aren't any. 2013 breakout by the way. Should the rotor be replaced or is this normal? so tired of the dealer saying everything is normal.
seem like this is getting worse as I didn't notice it before and I usually check the steering head by holding the front brake and compressing the forks. was a real issue on my previous bike so I'm sensitive to it as Harley put me though hell getting my previous bike fixed.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Floating rotors
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »

Anyone experience a audible clunk from the floating rotors? There is play at the rivets that allows the outer breaking surface to move forward and back enough to be herd and felt. This is really evident when you hold the brake and compress the forks. You can feel and see the tire jump forward.

The dealer said that it was rubber bushings in the caliper which we all know there aren't any. 2013 breakout by the way. Should the rotor be replaced or is this normal? so tired of the dealer saying everything is normal.
seem like this is getting worse as I didn't notice it before and I usually check the steering head by holding the front brake and compressing the forks. was a real issue on my previous bike so I'm sensitive to it as Harley put me though hell getting my previous bike fixed.

Does it clunk when you're actually riding and using the brakes?  In my experience most of Harley's floating rotors will clunk when cold; for instance if you roll the bike out of the garage and hit the brake, or do the thing you mentioned holding the brake and rocking the bike.  Try it when the brakes are up to operating temperature and see what happens; I think you will see a big difference.  If not, then maybe you have a legitimate complaint.  Just remember, if there is no play, they really aren't floating are they?  And don't forget, the pads themselves can create a similar noise.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:02:29 PM »

I have this exact same clunk when I hold the brake and compress the forks.  At first I thought I had a loose steering neck bearing or a bad wheel bearing but they are fine.  No issues with handling and I am unaware of it while riding.

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »

I have this exact same clunk when I hold the brake and compress the forks.  At first I thought I had a loose steering neck bearing or a bad wheel bearing but they are fine.  No issues with handling and I am unaware of it while riding.

Does it hot or cold. Don't notice when I ride though. seems like the play is 1/8 of an inch or more. and at the wheel well it moves about 1/2 inch. just concerned that the play is more than it should be. Not sure if there is a specification for the amount of play. I would hate to think of the outer ring breaking loose at some inappropriate time.

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:37:30 PM »

A while back I asked members of the CVO Softail Convertible forum to check and see if they had the same clunking noise and two members said not at all and one had the same noise....my dealer says it is the floating rotor and it is normal.  I may call HD customer relations and see what they say, but I don`t worry much about it at this point.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »

A lot of bikes with the floating rotors make the noise, bikes without the floating rotors don't
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.