Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ride to Key West  (Read 2350 times)

B. Spangler

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
Ride to Key West
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »

Two friends and I trailered our bikes from Ohio to Bradenton Florida February 20th. We got there Thursday parked the truck and trailer at a friends house and headed to Fort Lauderdale for the night. On the way there we passed a sign "Caution Bear next 12 miles". That will make you keep you eyes open for sure. After we checked in the hotel we had a some barbecue down the street along with a few adult beverages, called it a night and headed out Friday morning to find the local Harley Dealership only to find out they were closed and the building for sale. We continued on and by accident ran across Harley of Miami, stopped in got a few poker chips and the staff suggested we take "Krome Ave." and "Card Sound Rd." to Rt. 1. Friday evening we made it to Key West, parked the bikes and made it to Duvall st. Had dinner and a few adult beverages at Sloppy Joes and a few other places. Saturday we only rode about 25 miles, hit the Harley store, got some more poker chips a few shirts and back to the hotel to park the bikes and put shorts on. Then back to Duvall st. for our last night to have a few more adult beverages. Sunday morning we stopped and took the required pictures at the "Southern most Buoy", then headed north. We stopped at "Alabama Jacks" on Card Sound rd for lunch, made our way to Krome Ave. were we got caught in a hard rain for a few minutes. After the rain we took Rt.41 / Tamiami Trail, where we seen a dead alligator along the road. A little farther down the road we seen a sign "Caution Panther Crossing", then we seen a "Picnic Area" sign not to far down the road. Both of those signs had me thinking some crazy thoughts. We then made it to Harley of Naples only to find out they are closed on Sundays. If your keeping track of poker chips I didn't do to well this trip. After that we jumped on Rt. 75 to Bradenton.  Got back to our friends house, had pizza, and a few more adult beverages. Monday morning we started our 1200 mile trip back to the snow and cold of Ohio. Out of 883 miles on the bikes only 114 were on the interstate. Unfortunattly I had to miss the HOG meeting Thursday, but the General Manager sent me a picture of the overhead projection when it was my turn to speak.

Here are some of the pictures we took. My wife didn't go this trip so I don't have a lot of pictures.  :oops:

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Ride to Key West
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »

I'm jealous.  :-\. Looks like great time.  I'm going the end of March for a week but not taking my sweet MC.  :)
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 03:17:58 PM »

Sounds like you had fun!  Did that ride in November....the signs were interesting!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »

Used to have a condo in Bradenton when we lived in Ohio.  Have done the ride from there many times. We always when down alligator alley and made a stop in Goodland Florida outside of Naples.  It is known for being a sleepy little fishing village with a drinking problem.  Glad you had a great time always have fun in the Keys.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »

That looked like you had a good time by the big grin. Would loved to have been there.
                                                      Thanks for sharing

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »

I'm jealous.  :-\. Looks like great time.  I'm going the end of March for a week but not taking my sweet MC.  :)
Why fore arte thou going??????
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:54:27 PM »

Used to have a condo in Bradenton when we lived in Ohio.  Have done the ride from there many times. We always when down alligator alley and made a stop in Goodland Florida outside of Naples.  It is known for being a sleepy little fishing village with a drinking problem.  Glad you had a great time always have fun in the Keys.
Early 70's found me living in Immokalee, just East of Naples on the edge of the Fla Panther Sanctuary. Saw several cross the road in broad daylight. Pretty big Kitty-Kat.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 26 queries.