Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Sumped again!  (Read 42756 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Sumped again!
« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »

More good news, 450 miles today with no issues. Maybe-maybe--

Really glad to hear that!  Gives us hope.   :)

I will say reading the tire thread where guys are getting 15000-20000 (some complaining about that..) miles on their tires kinda makes me understand why my motors keep sumping.

I have read that too.  On the CVO's with M8 motors 12K is what I get on the rear,  Prior to the M8 I was getting 18K or bit more except my 13K, the built motor that tires good for about 13K.  Trying a American Elite on the rear of the king this time.

Sorry Alan,

But I’m not following this line of thought. How does tire mileage give you an understanding of why your engines keep sumping?

Mark
My following of it, is the harder your acceleration the more it wears the rear tire, the harder your braking the more the tires wear.

I have often wondered how friends get 22K out of a rear and I get 9K or 10K less out of the rear.  Ride with them in the curves, mountains and back roads, I it becomes more clear. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #271 on: December 23, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »

Really glad to hear that!  Gives us hope.   :)

I have read that too.  On the CVO's with M8 motors 12K is what I get on the rear,  Prior to the M8 I was getting 18K or bit more except my 13K, the built motor that tires good for about 13K.  Trying a American Elite on the rear of the king this time.
My following of it, is the harder your acceleration the more it wears the rear tire, the harder your braking the more the tires wear.

I have often wondered how friends get 22K out of a rear and I get 9K or 10K less out of the rear.  Ride with them in the curves, mountains and back roads, I it becomes more clear.

That I understand. I’m just not seeing how tire mileage relates to all his engine sumping.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #272 on: December 23, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »

ride hard = less tire mileage.

ride hard = more apt to sump....

higher mileage = less 'spirited' rider = less apt to sump
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #273 on: December 23, 2018, 03:44:18 PM »

Heatwave,  I sumped my totally stock 18 CVO the first time on a 40 mile ride. The bike had 168 miles on the odometer. Then the dealer took it out and cooked the engine.   Then H/D hand built my replacement engine as a stage IV. And I babied it for the next 1,000 miles and brought it to Florida and sumped it on the first trip. The 18 was a replacement after sumping the 17 with two replacement engines. 
So my bike is sitting in a Florida dealership and H/D is getting me a second replacement bike.  I told them to leave it totally stock.  I requested a Mako Shark Fade and they had none available but were able to add 1 additional bike into production.  It was officially assembled yesterday in York, Pa.  and being shipped to Florida by the second week of January.   I will say this, Harley Davidson is honestly going out of their way to make things right but I think H/D has had my bike for more days then I have??  Thank goodness I have a garage full of bikes.  So as I told our rep, I will keep the bike stock for the winter and after Myrtle Beach I will ride it back to New York and go aftermarket for a fix unless H/D actually gives in and builds a completely different fix for this.  Two years of this is not fun.  Sad thing is I actually thought they fixed my 18 and just installed Yaffe bars, mirrors and other stuff which I will lose. Not to mention, two extended warranties I lost money on and one of the local Long Island dealers now hates me.  Let's hope the 2019 makes it through a Florida winter.  LOL  I don't mean to laugh because it's cost me thousands in lost parts and labor but the alternative is to cry.   
Why would a dealer hate you, just because your engine sumped?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »

ride hard = less tire mileage.

ride hard = more apt to sump....

higher mileage = less 'spirited' rider = less apt to sump

Higher RPM = more oil volume pumped into engine per mile or period of time, leading to sumping when the oil volume in the sump exceeds the ability of the oiling system to remove it promptly.  Kind of like filling a bucket with a 1/2 gallon per minute hole in the bottom from a 1 gallon per minute spigot.  Eventually the bucket will overflow.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2018, 04:45:58 PM »

Has anyone yet definitively correlated sumping to hard acceleration, temperature, in/out of throttle, rapid deceleration, or other?  Still seems very odd to me that an engine will sump "sometimes" and often cannot be recreated.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2018, 09:45:44 PM »

I've never got close to 1500 on a rear tire.  Maybe that's cuz I'm tryin to keep up with you.   :nixweiss:   Are we riding Sat. or Sun?
im in, let me know what works for you
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »

Higher RPM = more oil volume pumped into engine per mile or period of time, leading to sumping when the oil volume in the sump exceeds the ability of the oiling system to remove it promptly.  Kind of like filling a bucket with a 1/2 gallon per minute hole in the bottom from a 1 gallon per minute spigot.  Eventually the bucket will overflow.

Jerry
What he said..
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »

im in, let me know what works for you
Sat would work better for me if that works? Im sure the sooner Babe can get ride of you the better..
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2018, 10:24:54 PM »

That I understand. I’m just not seeing how tire mileage relates to all his engine sumping.

That's cuz you haven't rode with Alan.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #280 on: December 23, 2018, 10:26:31 PM »

Sat would work better for me if that works? Im sure the sooner Babe can get ride of you the better..

Sat. works for me.  I'll be at the Chula Vista Elk's Lodge (right next to the Mexico boarder)....where do you want to meet?  What time?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #281 on: December 24, 2018, 12:00:30 AM »

That's cuz you haven't rode with Alan.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Yes I have. In fact I talked him out of riding “the road less traveled” with you and Miguel. And it was a wise decision,...lol!

As for the topic, I’m calling BS on that. All things being even, if you can’t ride an engine hard for fear of sumping, there’s something wrong with the design of the engine.

But I could be wrong.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #282 on: December 24, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s okay, just that it’s more than likely part of the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #283 on: December 24, 2018, 11:02:54 AM »

Sumping is ABSOLUTELY NOT NORMAL OR ACCEPTABLE even if you ride the thing at redline all day long.  If Harley can't make an engine that will run over 3000 rpm for extended periods, then perhaps they should set the rev limiters at 3000 rpm.   I'm still not convinced the new seal on the oil pump cover is anything more than a band-aid.  I also think they did not address the root cause, and until they do so the potential for failures will always be there under certain conditions.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #284 on: December 24, 2018, 12:39:45 PM »

agreed with all the above  ^^^^

i remember watching a video on hd testing stuff.  letting a bike sit idling all day long in the hot sun without melting down.  maybe they should have done a high rpm all day test......
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.