Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Motorcycle Trailers  (Read 3693 times)

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
Motorcycle Trailers
« on: March 04, 2020, 04:25:44 PM »

I'm retiring soon and would like to trailer my bike down south in the winter time. I'm looking to haul 2 baggers. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Need to know stuff like width,length, single axle, double axle, and so on. Plus any other info you think would be hopeful.
                               Thanks Jonnierock

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: Motorcycle Trailers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 04:53:47 PM »

While I am no expert on the subject, I would recommend no smaller than a 7x12 enclosed trailer with drop down drive in back door and stabilizer jacks. For this size a single axle would be fine but be sure to carry a spare. I would also highly recommend 15" wheel diameter and a sufficient man door for access. 2 really good quality wheel chocks with high quality ratchet straps and soft ties (I use the Wheeldock with great success) or the ever popular Biker Bar.

JMHO
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 05:29:48 PM »

While I am no expert on the subject, I would recommend no smaller than a 7x12 enclosed trailer with drop down drive in back door and stabilizer jacks. For this size a single axle would be fine but be sure to carry a spare. I would also highly recommend 15" wheel diameter and a sufficient man door for access. 2 really good quality wheel chocks with high quality ratchet straps and soft ties (I use the Wheeldock with great success) or the ever popular Biker Bar.

JMHO
Good advice here. I would get a tandem axle v-nose and Condor trailer chocks are great.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 05:30:34 PM »

I've got  a 7 X 12 and it's great for 1 bagger. You can get 2 baggers in it but it's tight. if I were hauling 2 all the time I would go with 8.5 X 14.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 06:12:49 PM »

Dual axle, torsion bar suspension.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »

I formerly sold M/C trailers and most folks who haul 2 bikes buy a 7x12 tandem axle trailer. Trailer brakes aren't but should be a law on a this large of trailer with the added weight of two dressers. Non-slip floor and gate, I prefer nickel or coin rubber flooring. Three lengths of E-track solidly mounted to floor. E-Track is so good for multiple tie down points and the ability to move bikes front to back without worrying about changing the tie-down points. Buy LED Lighting package and try to get as much interior lighting as you can, also LED.
Big debate on V-Nose vs Flat nose, I prefer flat nose, V-Nose is iffy behind a motorhome or pick-up with topper if you go thru a dip the V can impact the tow vehicle. If you need additional space.. buy a longer trailer.  I also prefer a Lo-Hauler style vs the normal height. You don't live in the trailer, while drag that extra height thru the wind and if you live in deed restricted area the Lo-hauler will go inside your standard height garage. If trying to load and tie-down two dressers you MUST have self retaining chocks like a Condor. This way one person can load and secure them, almost IMPOSSIBLE using a pingle or similar style chock. There is just not enough room to use the kickstand while tieing them down, They have to sit up by themselves, ie: Condor.
In all honesty a 8 or 8.5 wide is easier to load but more expensive, not very popular in higher grade (motorcycle use) and hard to find without ordering. BUT a 8.5x14 is the perfect motorcycle hauler, easy to load, easy to stagger the bikes and more area for storage in the front. MAKE sure anything in the front is secured or it will end up on the bikes.
If you intend to keep it for along time and depending on what you are going to use to tow it, look into the newer all aluminum trailers. They are nice. If your in Florida try Best Price Trailers on Ridgewood in Daytona/Holly Hills. They usually have some good stuff to check out, helps to form opinion of what you need.
Good Luck.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 10:06:46 PM »

I travel all over the nation to RV rallies installing Proteng Automatic RV Fire Suppression in RVs.  Most toyhaulers owners (and diesel pusher owners pulling enclosed trailers) that have Harleys are using the B&W Biker Bar (designed for Harleys only).  So much easier and so much more secure than straps.  You can YouTube it.  You can do a search on this forum or YouTube.  I've been ocean to ocean twice and half way back across again and never an issue.

I would suggest a double axle torsion susspension trailer with brakes, rubber non-slip deck mat. 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 10:14:20 PM »

And I would suggest putting extra LED lights up high, on the back end.  Most trailers the car immediatly behind you can see that you're hitting your brakes but the next three or four cars behind them can't see that unless your lights are up high.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 07:28:35 AM »

I formerly sold M/C trailers and most folks who haul 2 bikes buy a 7x12 tandem axle trailer. Trailer brakes aren't but should be a law on a this large of trailer with the added weight of two dressers. Non-slip floor and gate, I prefer nickel or coin rubber flooring. Three lengths of E-track solidly mounted to floor. E-Track is so good for multiple tie down points and the ability to move bikes front to back without worrying about changing the tie-down points. Buy LED Lighting package and try to get as much interior lighting as you can, also LED.
Big debate on V-Nose vs Flat nose, I prefer flat nose, V-Nose is iffy behind a motorhome or pick-up with topper if you go thru a dip the V can impact the tow vehicle. If you need additional space.. buy a longer trailer.  I also prefer a Lo-Hauler style vs the normal height. You don't live in the trailer, while drag that extra height thru the wind and if you live in deed restricted area the Lo-hauler will go inside your standard height garage. If trying to load and tie-down two dressers you MUST have self retaining chocks like a Condor. This way one person can load and secure them, almost IMPOSSIBLE using a pingle or similar style chock. There is just not enough room to use the kickstand while tieing them down, They have to sit up by themselves, ie: Condor.
In all honesty a 8 or 8.5 wide is easier to load but more expensive, not very popular in higher grade (motorcycle use) and hard to find without ordering. BUT a 8.5x14 is the perfect motorcycle hauler, easy to load, easy to stagger the bikes and more area for storage in the front. MAKE sure anything in the front is secured or it will end up on the bikes.
If you intend to keep it for along time and depending on what you are going to use to tow it, look into the newer all aluminum trailers. They are nice. If your in Florida try Best Price Trailers on Ridgewood in Daytona/Holly Hills. They usually have some good stuff to check out, helps to form opinion of what you need.
Good Luck.

I could not agree more. I haul 4 dressers so I have a 8.5 X 20 trailer and would never consider any other tie down system other than the Biker Bar. I have never had an issue and the bike rides on it's suspension which is not overloaded by straps. Easy ride on pull off. Also if you can get a tube frame rather than a channel frame trailer it is stronger. Also look for a one piece roof to prevent leaks in the future.

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 08:39:33 AM »

Agree with everything above, dual axle is a must. The only thing I would add is if you do go with a 7' wide trailer go 14' long so you can stagger the bikes. That will "help" fit 2 fairing bikes in that size trailer.  8' wide would be best.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 05:30:04 PM »

I am strongly against the biker bar as I have said before. Everyone has an opinion but the Biker Bar bolts to too small of a footprint to be secure in a trailer. Most trailers have angle iron crossbars welded side to side and a plywood floor. If you bolt a Biker Bar to the plywood it is an accident waiting to happen. IF you take the time and expense to add in steel supports (weld-in) to secure the Biker Bar then O.K.
But otherwise nope.
Also towing repeated miles without a problem is not any indication of a good product. It just means you have not YET experienced a situation that will stress your mounting points. Just remember if you hit something, or someone hits you and rips that Biker Bar out of the floor the bike becomes a 900# Missle, still attached to the BikerBar that will destroy everything it comes in contact with before it looses momentum or flies thru the side of the trailer.
Be careful mounting whatever system you choose and let your own opinion be the final determination.

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 05:33:20 PM »

I would agree that the Biker Bar bolted to just plywood is an issue. But they are recommended to be bolted to a large backing plate so that the [lywood is not securing any bolts at all. Most "D" rings I have seen are secured the same way by the trailer manufacturers

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 01:06:43 PM »

I have a 7x14 v-nose trailer. I haul two street glides in it staggered and they fit no problem. I have 3 pieces of e-track mounted to the floor and use the condor wheel chocks. The only problem I had was on the first ever trip the straps would be lose every time I checked the bikes, that wasn't because of them being bad but because they were brand new and haven't stretched out. Have hauled the bikes to Arkansas twice, the smoky mountains once and heading to sturgis again this year without a single problem. I would suggest a two axle trailer also, I wanted a two axle for the simple reason if I get a flat I have time to get to the side of the road without damaging a rim.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 02:47:43 PM »

I have a Iron Horse extra wide trailer. Very happy with the quality. Easy to haul and only changers gas mileage by 1 mile per gal. very nice people. I know only single axle scared me a little but I have used this trailer for 20,000 miles with no issue. I will buy new tires a little early just to be on the safe side. You really can't tell the trailer is behind you . handles the wind great.  You do need the extra wide for 2 baggers. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »

The Biker Bar isn't screwed or bolted to a plywood floor.  It's bolted to two 1/4" steel plates that are 4"x5" that are under the plywood floor.  It's 1/4" steel plate on top bolted to two 1/4" steel plates underneath the trailer.

There are photos floating around the internet that show a toyhauler that was in an accident and landed upside down, on it's top.  The Ultra Classic was still mounted and hanging upside down, undamaged.  You're not going to see that with straps.

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 22 queries.