Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newer bikes with infotainment system  (Read 229 times)

blown alcohol

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Newer bikes with infotainment system
« on: October 11, 2021, 07:04:42 PM »

I know nothing about the harley infotainment system.
When did it first come out? Are the earlier models infotainment systems out of date?
How is the GPS compared to a garimin xt?

I ask this because I have a 2013 cvo ultra. My factory Garmin 660 is outdated compared to the garmin xt. I just swapped out the gps for a new updated easier to read screen on the garmin XT.

I do not want to buy a used, but newer bike and have something that I am not able to update, or not supported.
Has the boom system had big changes over the years? Are certain years better than others?

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Newer bikes with infotainment system
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 11:14:18 PM »

Every Harley I've had with a built-in system has promised much...and delivered little.  They all have been Clunky (capital C intended), loaded with bugs, required torturous levels of work-arounds, are poor quality, break easily and often and cost high prices plus the Harley tax, and are left in the dust by nearly every aftermarket system out there.

When MoCo issues a software update to fix some of those teeth-grinding problems, the result is new problems added on top of the original problems.  Eventually you'll pay a tech for 3 hours of diagnostic time/Digital Tech, just to be told "They all do that!"

When you've had all you can take, and drop-kick the bike into the Grand Canyon and buy a new(er) one, you are guaranteed to get a different set of problems...not always better or worse...but at least it won't be the same crank-addicted worm that buzzed around in your brain for the last couple of years.

The best approach is to chit-can the original system and buy whatever quality of off-the-shelf system that meets your needs.  Good luck.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

J Meadows

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

• CVO1: 2019 Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 03:57:42 PM »

I had a Road tech 660 on my 2014 Street Glide Standard, I really liked that unit, I lost in Tennessee going down the freeway at 70mph, I purchased an XT to replace it. Some things take a little getting use to as they changed. I can no longer hear the directions through my speakers, I can check weather, see traffic ahead. Overall I am pleased with the Garmin XT
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel / Lightning Silver
2014 FLHX Dayton Blue
1988 FXST-C Blue & Silver
1985 BMW K1000
1975 Kawasaki Z1
1972 Kawasaki H2A
1972 Harley Baja
1972 Harley Rapito
1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler
1965 Honda S90
1963 Honda 55 Trail

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 10:48:20 AM »

I  used a 660 for many years...until I bought a '20. So far have been quite happy with it's functionality.....however, have not been on an extended vacation with it yet.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.