Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: New Aftermarket Radio -- Couldn't Find it in Search  (Read 11641 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: New Aftermarket Radio -- Couldn't Find it in Search
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2023, 11:01:26 AM »

I went through all of the screens on the Soundstream and tried all sorts of button combinations, but there does not seem to be a setup BIN screen on the HDRU9813-RG unit.

The symptoms are exactly the same as in the video posted above.  Even are moderate speeds on the road, can hear fairly decently.  But at anything upwards of 60+ mph, forget it.

Hopefully someone will have gone through this and can assist in the setup etc.

Thanks again everyone!

Dan

Who did you buy the unit from?? Did you try contacting them??

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2023, 02:38:16 PM »

Who did you buy the unit from?? Did you try contacting them??

Got it through my local HD dealership.  They bought it through Crutchfield. I called Crutchfield and they knew nothing about the issue I explained to them.  They hadn't even heard about the issue with the 14+ and the BIN.  They're mainly home entertainment oriented.

I've sent an email to Soundstream in CA about my problem.  I have J&M 6.5" (non Rokker) speakers and their JMAA-1800HC06 180w Performance Series Amp Kit.  This has worked flawlessly with my HK head unit for almost 10 years.

I may have something soon from Soundstream.  I can't believe others haven't had this issue.  I'm sure it has something to do with my J&M amp, but all of the wiring just plug and play with the harness they supplied and my HD harness from the factory.  But since there doesn't seem to be any avenue to "change" the EQ settings in the Soundstream as in the 14+ unit, I may have to rewire my speakers/amp for this head unit.  Who knows at this point.

Don, I'm sure it will get figured out soon.  I do really like the new system, but as the Volunteer Audio owner said, you just cannot hear clearly and no amount of volume or in fact changing the EQ presets, POP, JAZZ, etc, has no effect on highway speed sound, but does do what it's supposed to do in the garage etc.

You know, the worst case about all of this... is that I will have to take the fairing off again and reinstall it.  This is REALLY A PAIN IN THE ARSE FOR SURE!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2023, 03:18:05 PM »

Don, I'm sure it will get figured out soon.  I do really like the new system, but as the Volunteer Audio owner said, you just cannot hear clearly and no amount of volume or in fact changing the EQ presets, POP, JAZZ, etc, has no effect on highway speed sound, but does do what it's supposed to do in the garage etc.

You know, the worst case about all of this... is that I will have to take the fairing off again and reinstall it.  This is REALLY A PAIN IN THE ARSE FOR SURE!

Definitely hopes it's just a "settings" solution of some type Dan.  I'm not pulling the trigger until more is known though.  My old Road Glide has an old also plug and play Hawg Wired amp installed.  It's been installed a long long time but it still works and if there's anything to do to make these radios work with aftermarket amps would want to know beforehand.  Good luck and will keep watching here.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2023, 07:43:34 PM »

Dan,

PrecisionPower/Soundstream in LA CA is who I ended up talking with while doing my due diligence on the new headunits. I simply ask to speak with someone about tech advise concerning the new soundstream head units for HD and I was delighted to speak with someone that seemed to have the knowledge and was forthcoming with my questions to a point. I looked for my notes and they must be in a safe place to find another day, I can’t recall his name offhand.

Just throwing this out there in hope it will be of some assistance.

(800) 832-4647 PrecisionPower/SoundStream
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2023, 05:12:16 PM »

Dan,

PrecisionPower/Soundstream in LA CA is who I ended up talking with while doing my due diligence on the new headunits. I simply ask to speak with someone about tech advise concerning the new soundstream head units for HD and I was delighted to speak with someone that seemed to have the knowledge and was forthcoming with my questions to a point. I looked for my notes and they must be in a safe place to find another day, I can’t recall his name offhand.

Just throwing this out there in hope it will be of some assistance.

(800) 832-4647 PrecisionPower/SoundStream

TN, thanks!  Hoping to hear from someone tomorrow about my issue.  If no e-mail, I'll try your number listed.

Thanks again, Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2023, 08:04:57 AM »

TN, thanks!  Hoping to hear from someone tomorrow about my issue.  If no e-mail, I'll try your number listed.

Thanks again, Dan

You can also try calling Volunteer Audio..Jay, the owner is a great guy and will help you if he can. I worked with him on the issue he made the video about. I have heard of him helping other people with issues even when they didn't buy the original unit from him!!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2023, 02:42:01 PM »

Just talked with Soundstream.

I have the J&M 180 amp and their upgraded 6.5" speakers.  What I did originally was use speaker line level inputs to the amp as the HK head unit has no RCA outputs.  He told me that the Soundstream is NOT compatible with an amp hooked up to the speaker line level inputs.

I now have to remove the front fairing again... PITA!!!!!  And convert over to all RCA outputs and inputs from the Soundstream to the J&M amp.  THEN I will be compatible, according to him.

So Don, I'm sure your older amp is also using your HK speaker outputs as line level inputs to your amp.  Your old amp "should" have RCA inputs and that's how you need to run them.

I will report back, but it will be a few days before I get up the nerve to attempt to remove the front fairing again... :(

Thanks all, Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2023, 02:47:32 PM »

I have the J&M 180 amp and their upgraded 6.5" speakers.  What I did originally was use speaker line level inputs to the amp as the HK head unit has no RCA outputs.  He told me that the Soundstream is NOT compatible with an amp hooked up to the speaker line level inputs.

I now have to remove the front fairing again... PITA!!!!!  And convert over to all RCA outputs and inputs from the Soundstream to the J&M amp.  THEN I will be compatible, according to him.

So Don, I'm sure your older amp is also using your HK speaker outputs as line level inputs to your amp.  Your old amp "should" have RCA inputs and that's how you need to run them.

I will report back, but it will be a few days before I get up the nerve to attempt to remove the front fairing again... :(

Thanks all, Dan
Makes sense. About 35 years ago I was big into car audio and have forgotten over half of what I learned back then. We never used converters unless it was the only way to do it which in your case with the old radio, had to be done that way. Fwiw, Soundstream was one of the premier Amp manufacturers back then.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2023, 02:48:57 PM »

Thanks all, Dan

At leaset you got an answer....hopefully that's it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2023, 07:20:48 PM »

Thanks all, Dan

I'm not so sure Dan.  The amp that's in there has been in so long I've not had to see it for years.  It was advertised as a "plug and play" amp at the time and is now very well beyond anything HawgWired offers.  I don't remember RCA connectors on it though so I might be out the cost of a new amp if I chose to pursue the radio.  Since that amp has been in there for at least 10 years and probably closer to 12 or 13 it might be time to consider a change though....  (but it still works, dammit).

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2023, 03:31:17 PM »

Okay, with the RCA direct from the Soundstream to the J&M 180 amp, it now works great.  I can crank it up to hear it while at freeway speeds.

The J&M amp came specifically for the old Harley HK head unit.  I had a harness that you plugged your speaker wires into and then it went into a "something" inside the harness and then came out as RCA's to the amp.  I took out the J&M harness and did the direct RCA's from the head to the amp and it was all good.

Here are a few pictures of my installation.  Very tight, but it gets it done.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2023, 03:31:49 PM »

Another
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2023, 03:32:25 PM »

Another
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2023, 04:17:55 PM »

So glad it was an easy fix Dan.  Has to be something of a relief knowing not just that it should work but that it actually does.

I found the manual to my old amp from HawgWired.  The amp shows a remote input for outputs from an aftermarket radio.  Not completely trusting docs from what was then a new product from a relatively new company I also went back through the install pics and found what I'd taken when the amp was installed.  Sure enough the input plug is there.  So (apparently) the option to make this change is still available if I'm so inclined. 

So what are first impressions?  Nav from Carplay or Android works as one would expect?  You're way more into the audio than I am but that seems at least satisfactory now?  Any other surprises in the "cool" or "uncool" categories?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2023, 04:50:41 PM »

So glad it was an easy fix Dan.  Has to be something of a relief knowing not just that it should work but that it actually does.

I found the manual to my old amp from HawgWired.  The amp shows a remote input for outputs from an aftermarket radio.  Not completely trusting docs from what was then a new product from a relatively new company I also went back through the install pics and found what I'd taken when the amp was installed.  Sure enough the input plug is there.  So (apparently) the option to make this change is still available if I'm so inclined. 

So what are first impressions?  Nav from Carplay or Android works as one would expect?  You're way more into the audio than I am but that seems at least satisfactory now?  Any other surprises in the "cool" or "uncool" categories?

Don:
       I am guessing they both use the same basic OS so I can say for the 14 and later model radio that Android auto looks just like it does in my 2022 truck....

Just my $.02

Mike
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 04:52:17 PM by mjb765 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 22 queries.