Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "chopped" antenna  (Read 3520 times)

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
"chopped" antenna
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:39:23 PM »

I cut 18" off both antennas. FM reception seems to be the same. I've never used CB and only anticipate using it within a 50' range of bike-to-bike only. I think it looks much better than those big-a$$ whips and it can still be locked into tour-pak latches if necessary. I've read the antenna thread and my question is will this setup fry my CB if I use it? From what I can gather, the stock setup isn't tuned properly anyway, so how far off can this be?............and yes I will keep an eye out, so I won't take an eye out!

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
Re: "chopped" antenna
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 11:48:43 PM »

I cut 18" off both antennas. FM reception seems to be the same. I've never used CB and only anticipate using it within a 50' range of bike-to-bike only. I think it looks much better than those big-a$$ whips and it can still be locked into tour-pak latches if necessary. I've read the antenna thread and my question is will this setup fry my CB if I use it? From what I can gather, the stock setup isn't tuned properly anyway, so how far off can this be?............and yes I will keep an eye out, so I won't take an eye out!

Yes,  you change your SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) you could blow the finial output Transistors, due to mis tuning.
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 01:02:34 PM »

Pete,

I'm an RF (radio) design engineer. You've actually grossly detuned both the CB and FM antenna match. Both will have suffered. You may not notice the FM loss until you're out on the fringes of reception.

The likely hood of you damaging your CB unit is minimal. Modern RF transistors are much more rugged than they used to be. Your range will be poor though.

Why not just replace them with a pair of JM shorties and get the better looks without losing the performance?

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 01:13:53 PM »

Has anyone tried these??  Not opposed to the J&M antenna and appreciate the reports on their performance, It is just that I have this weird obsession with chrome :nixweiss: :huepfenjump3:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Triple-Plated-CHROME-16-ANTENNA-Harley-Davidson_W0QQitemZ180148564300QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1498QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 01:17:33 PM by LRebel »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 01:18:43 PM »

Has anyone tried these??  Not opposed to the J&M antenna and appreciate the reports on their performance, It is just that I have this weird obsession with chrome :nixweiss: :huepfenjump3:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Triple-Plated-CHROME-16-ANTENNA-Harley-Davidson_W0QQitemZ180148564300QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1498QQcmdZViewItem
That's not weird around here, and don't let anybody tell you it is. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 01:20:39 PM »

That is the chrome counterpart to the black antenna I use when the TP is off the bike. There is a very pronounced lack of FM range when using that antenna compared to the J&M antennas I have on the TP. Coyotedata could talk to the CB difference better than I.

:indian_chief:

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:45:45 PM »

That's not weird around here, and don't let anybody tell you it is. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Thanks d00d!

Finally a place where I can feel normal  :huepfenjump3: :cool26:

I may try these...??...yea, shiny chrome....yea chrome :yes:

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 02:19:07 PM »

Those antennas do not appear to be electrically long enough. The JM antennas are basically a long antenna wrapped helically around a non-conducting rod. This makes them electrically, the right length to tune properly.

The most common ways to shorten antennas is for them to be wrapped, like the JM ones, or loaded at the bottom, like the CB ones you see on cars. Like everything else, you can't get something for nothing.  ;)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 03:07:57 PM »

coyotedata,
Thanks for the technical info.
I will probably never use the CB, but the loss of FM reception would be a problem.
Will be doing something (probably J&M's) soon, because I don't like the 4ft whips.  Went in a parking garage a few days ago and had to listen to the antenna's hitting the concrete supports overhead every 12 - 15ft.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »

Pete,

I'm an RF (radio) design engineer. You've actually grossly detuned both the CB and FM antenna match. Both will have suffered. You may not notice the FM loss until you're out on the fringes of reception.

The likely hood of you damaging your CB unit is minimal. Modern RF transistors are much more rugged than they used to be. Your range will be poor though.

Why not just replace them with a pair of JM shorties and get the better looks without losing the performance?

Thanks for the feedback; as for why I didn't do JM, thought I could save a couple $. Besides my wife would probably chit if I told her I was gonna spend any more. I'll have to put that on the x-mas list. Do you know how much a set costs?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 11:36:05 AM »

Thanks for the feedback; as for why I didn't do JM, thought I could save a couple $. Besides my wife would probably chit if I told her I was gonna spend any more. I'll have to put that on the x-mas list. Do you know how much a set costs?

Better than that, here is link to the item: http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HRUP-ATM&PF=6

You'll have to get used to explaining uncontrolled spending to your wife. Explain to her that you're sick and need help.

:indian_chief:

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 12:55:02 PM »

Hey the whip antennas are fine!  -Until somebody loses an eye!  :huepfenlol2: -Retal- PLUS
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 21 queries.