Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Gear Driven Cams  (Read 5776 times)

STICKMAN

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Gear Driven Cams
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2005, 09:39:17 PM »

I have a 02 SERK with the 95 inch. My homework has told me that I have the SE203 cams. My mechanic just showed me what can happen to the "shoes" on the stock setup after 15 to 20 K.  And it aint pretty. Does it happen everytime? NO. But if those parts wear thin and disenegrate it will cost more then the $1000.00 or so it would have cost for gear drive.  Plus the timing of the stock setup can be off by a 1/2 a degree.  

So with that, I want to put in a gear drive. But what cams to use to replace my SE203. My guy likes Andrews, others like S & S .  And what grind ? can I go to 570 with the stock heads? .  And is lift everything?.  These are the questions I'm faced with.  Any feedback would be helpful. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2005, 10:21:01 PM »

the gear drive cams are a little noisier with little or no gain in performance. the weak link is the chain tensioner shoes that ride upon the cam chain. mine were worn beyond limits at 25000 miles. there is no need to clearance the inside of the cases unless you use a very high lift cam. im running the andrews 37g with s & s gear drive,delkron support plate.feuling oil pump and lifters. great cams not too much. its an easy install and i have the tools. this was done on my 2002 fxstd [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 12:35:54 PM »

Well I was just going to set back and read but I do have a little info that might help(stir the pot)

The chain drive is not accurate( for valve timing) as previously posted. If fact it can be off by as much as 4 degrees. If you are looking to make consistant power this is not good and the gear drive is the only fix for this. As far as cam selection goes if you are looking for torque numbers you are looking for high
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 12:37:24 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.