Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The end of an era - another short track bites the dust  (Read 800 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
The end of an era - another short track bites the dust
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:40:48 AM »

What do Richie Evans, Ray Everham and Martin Truex Jr all have in common  :nixweiss:

They got there start at a little 1/3 mile oval literally 2 miles from house, Wall Speedway. This track has been here as long as I can remember, and even when I don't get to go I can hear the cars almost every weekend.

Although the articles linked below list a variety of reasons my feelings are the real estate market.
The property the track is on has become infinitely more valuable with the real estate market growth. My county, Monmouth County had some of the highest real estate growth in the nation.

Several years ago the owners wanted to construct a drive in on the premise, what a phenomenal idea. Drive In theaters were a Jersey tradition.

But all the big money coming into our town from the north (Monmouth County has the highest per capita of Wall Street blokes) put a quash on the drive in idea.

Really stinks, another icon gone. Unfortunately I think Raceway Park; one of the best drag racing venues in the country will not be long for the area either.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803150345

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803150425
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: The end of an era - another short track bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 06:16:06 PM »

Sad as it is to see these tracks go, yours did a great job to hold on this long.

Ours closed in the 60's and 70's out here.

Development and property values along with taxes and the advent of many other ways to get racing coverage is a killer for these local venues.  Truly a core part of racing in the USA.  Very sad to see another one gone.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: The end of an era - another short track bites the dust
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:32:58 PM »

Wall is one of dozens of small tracks to have closed in this state. I didn't know until watching the Nascar race last week, all the hoopla about the first non American car to win since a Jag ( i think) won in the 50's in Linden, NJ.

I can't even imagine a track in that town!
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.