Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Windshield for FXSTSSE  (Read 7347 times)

the barber

• Full CVO Member
Re: Windshield for FXSTSSE
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »

I bought a windshield for my 08 springer, had to have it cut because im only 5.4. Now the thing shakes my head and gives me a headache. looks pretty good but a waste of about 400$

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 02:15:01 AM »

I got the 10 inch windvest last weekend.  When I was coming home, I noticed more vibration and buffeting than before.  I had ridden on the freeway without a windshield and was pretty comfortable, but assumed the windvest would make it even better.

I think I am feeling the buffeting on the sides and at the top of my helmet.  I am only 5 4" and am wondering if the angle needs to be adjusted, or the heighth, or maybe there is too much of a gap between the headlight and the windshield.

Is this my imagination?  Maybe I will just take it off entirely.  What a waste of money.  Plus, I am going on some long rides and want as much comfort as I can get.

Ideas?  Experience?

Smokin' Jacket (wanna know why?)
2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 09:10:23 AM »

I bought this bike because of the way it looks, and I have NEVER seen a windshield that looked good on a SE Springer!

my opinion is soley based on looks, and because of the fact that this bike looks like crap with a windshield on it, I'll never put one on..... :2vrolijk_21:

2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 09:28:06 PM »

I agree. I also bought the bike because of the way it looks.  Are you comfortable on long rides on the freeway most of the time?  I went back to the shop today and couldn't find a solution.  The windshield is coming off tomorrow.  I am just concerned about long distances.  Oh well.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »

65 mph isn't too bad on the highway, of course having a helmet that doesn't try to pull my head off at highway speeds helps tremendously! :bananarock:
other than that, whenever I do go on the highway (I usually try to avoid it and take the back roads) I usually just "suck it up" and deal with it. ;D

but I have been looking at the SE Road King for a while now, I like the idea of how "convertable" it is.
looks decent with the windshield on it and if I want can take the windshield and sissybar off (which is probably how I'll ride it most of the time anyway) and have a totally different looking bike! plus having the bags always comes in real handy...
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 09:10:17 AM »

Marie,

I'd stick w/ the windshield.   Did you play with the angle?  I've got the windshield angled pretty much in line w/ the front fork.  I do get some (acceptable) buffeting on top of my head.  Much more comfortable than w/o the windshield.  Also, some people have mounted the HD windshields on their bike.  I'd keep at it.  Check w/ Windvest. 

Makes a difference on highway driving.

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »

Marie,

I'd stick w/ the windshield.   Did you play with the angle?  I've got the windshield angled pretty much in line w/ the front fork.  I do get some (acceptable) buffeting on top of my head.  Much more comfortable than w/o the windshield.  Also, some people have mounted the HD windshields on their bike.  I'd keep at it.  Check w/ Windvest. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah, I played with the angle and then I played with the allen wrench in the school parking lot on my way down the street this morning.  I couldn't stand it.  My neighbor sells aftermarket parts and showed me a pull-off detachable by sportech.  He is going to get the 1.25" clamps and install it for me.

I get scared on very windy days, on the freeway, trying to look over my shoulder to change lanes, with my helmet starting to wiggle and my head blowing around.  It makes me "rush" and I don't like feeling so agitated.  NO FUN. 

I will stick to back roads most of the time.  But, I honestly want the bike to start feeling natural regardless of the road I am on.   This is my first big bike.  I was on a wind-blown 98 sportster since 2004.  I am in the process of building confidence and experience at the same time.  That is what happens when you start riding as a mid-lifer.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:56:54 PM by Marie »

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 10:52:54 PM »

65 mph isn't too bad on the highway, of course having a helmet that doesn't try to pull my head off at highway speeds helps tremendously! :bananarock:
other than that, whenever I do go on the highway (I usually try to avoid it and take the back roads) I usually just "suck it up" and deal with it. ;D

but I have been looking at the SE Road King for a while now, I like the idea of how "convertable" it is.
looks decent with the windshield on it and if I want can take the windshield and sissybar off (which is probably how I'll ride it most of the time anyway) and have a totally different looking bike! plus having the bags always comes in real handy...

I can't ride no Road King!  I am just getting comfortable on the springer.  I thought a 110 was smaller than my 1200 sportster.  I just thought it was pretty and it fit me.

So...... now, no bags, no windshield, and I have added a sissy bar and I carry those T-Bags for a "purse".  I look like a friggin hillbilly just going across town.  I'm ready to chain my wallet to my jeans, throw away the lipgloss, stuff my hat in my waistband, and never go shopping again.

How on earth do we keep travelling "light" when we need stuff?  I don't want a bagger, but I am starting to see how this ends.

guentherb

• CVO1: 08 FXSTSSE Black
    • CVO2: 02 FLSTFI Black
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 10:56:33 PM »

Riding from Montana to Ohio again soon and I was thinking about a quick disconnect windshield.  I did this ride before without one and it rained just about the whold way. Not to mention I do between 80 and 90 most of the way.  Anyone who's been through MT and the Dakotas knows the winds are freakin' brutal.  I refuse to drill to attach any docking hardware.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.