Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 117

Author Topic: Paint Problems 2006  (Read 176873 times)

J.J.

• Full CVO Member
  • If you can accept losing, you can't win
Re: paint problems
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 10:27:02 AM »

has anyone had a paint problem with the o6 flhtcuse

Jeepers,

I picked up my CUSE last week and there was a chip out of the faring where the center screw attaches the wind sheild.  :'( Also a fish eye below that.  They are ordering it in under waranty.  I got her home last night and will have pics tomorrow.  I will try and get one of the chip.
2006 Black and Slate
SE Stage 1
Rinehart True Duals
HD Race Tuner
99.8HP 103TQ

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 12:03:32 PM »

I think I'm starting to understand ( I'm kinda slow) why these bike cost so much $$$$$.  They ( MOCO) just have us prepay for all the warranty claims for peeling chrome, heated grips that don't heat, paint problems, stereos, etc.    ;)
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 02:27:28 PM »

I think I'm starting to understand ( I'm kinda slow) why these bike cost so much $$$$$.  They ( MOCO) just have us prepay for all the warranty claims for peeling chrome, heated grips that don't heat, paint problems, stereos, etc.    ;)

You may have something there GC....dealer cost on the items that have been replaced under warranty on my bike exceed 5K!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 02:31:51 PM »

It's not consistantly bad, though.  If I remember, it was only the 2 floorboard inserts that were replaced on mine.  No other chrome, no paint, no mechanical parts, Oh,Yeah, one bad tire had to have a tube installed to hold air.  That's it.  So, maybe it averages out to not be that bad for 'em.  :-/ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 05:48:14 PM »

While doing some research, on my lunch hour of course  ;D, I came across a H-D service bulletin for cosmetic paint issues which could very well help some of you in dealing with dealerships and area reps. Helps to see the other players card hands huh ? http://sitesearch.h-dsn.com/pdf/gen_biz/pg055cosmeticreqmts.pdf
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

falcon

• A thing of beauty !
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 09:59:44 PM »

CVOJOE I can’t get to the link you posted, do you have it saved?
My paint is milky everywhere except the lower fairing. Two weeks ago a rep came out to the dealer and took some pics. The dealer has called the Mo Co 3 times since then and still has not been able to get an authorization number to order the new parts! The dealer gave me a reference number and asked if I would call customer service and try to light a fire under their ass, so I did.  The Mo Co Calls the dealer today and says they want to send the bike out and have it professionally rubbed out. The dealer tells them that that is a bunch a BS and that even if it works I'm going to end up with a very thin layer of clear coat and that they will never be able to get into all of the small areas on the inter fairing etc. In the end they could not agree on anything so tomorrow this guys boss is suppose to call the dealer back. Needless to say I'm very pissed
 >:(

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 10:50:02 PM »

CVOJOE I can’t get to the link you posted, do you have it saved?

Falcon, will upload what I think is the document referenced here.  Naitram has recently added PDF's to the approved file types so a link should display below this text.  Right clink on the link and choose "save target as" and you'll be able to download it.  Click on the link and it will display.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 10:52:27 PM by twolanerider »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 10:57:34 PM »

I just tried the right click thing and got the following message....

"Internet Explorer cannot download pg055cosmeticreqmts.pdf from sitesearch.h-dsn.com"

"Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again"

I believe it to be a problem with that site, not ours (CVOHarley).

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 11:00:53 PM »

I just tried the right click thing . . .

'd00d, left click to open a .pdf.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 11:06:36 PM »

I had already done that, and got the following...

"The page cannot be found"

That's why I was trying your suggestion of the "save target as", and that isn't working either. Hence I believe it to be a problem w/that website. I did get the attachment you posted though. Thanks

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2005, 12:47:46 AM »

That's why I was trying your suggestion of the "save target as", and that isn't working either. Hence I believe it to be a problem w/that website. I did get the attachment you posted though. Thanks

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Gary you're clicking in the wrong place.  Look in my post, not the one where the original link was.  Here's a screen shot of the post.  Look to the nose of the aircraft and you'll see the link.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 12:55:07 AM by twolanerider »

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2005, 03:17:13 AM »

Seems their site is having issues, I'm attaching a .pdf file to this thread. If you have Adobe Acrobat reader, just click on the attachment and it should open right up.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2005, 10:49:13 AM »

This document is a general policy letter intended for Harley's suppliers, outlining the overall philosophy for cosmetic quality.  Actual specific standards for each part are detailed elsewhere, on part prints and other documents Harley provides to the supplier.  Standards for paint would include paint film thickness, gloss level, adherence to color standards (color match), number of minor defects allowed per specified surface area, etc.

Note that the bike is broken up into 3 areas, A,B, and C, depending on the visibility of each part.  This is common practice in the automotive industry as well.  Lesser standards are applied to areas which are either normally out of sight, or would require  a person to assume an unnatural position to see.  As an example, the paint on the hood of a car or the tank of a bike would have the toughest standards, and the rockers on a car or lower areas such as the frame and side covers on a bike would have the most lenient standards. Even in the case of an "A" surface, however, zero defects is not a requirement for the part to meet quality acceptance standards.  As someone who recently spent 5 tough years running the paint department in an automotive assembly plant, I can assure you that a true "zero defect" paint job is a goal that no one has reached.  The number one issue for all painters is "dirt in paint".  Dirt is defined as any material foreign to the process, such as dust particles, fibers, etc.  A commonly used standard for dirt is that any single particle that is 1mm or smaller is acceptable, even on an "A" surface.  There are additional standards detailing the maximum number of such particles that can be present in an "x" diameter area.

Now, having bored you with all that, let me make this statement.  No matter what H-D's internal standards say, as the customer you have the right to object to any defect you find.  That is especially true of a CVO bike that is promoted as having a special, extra cost custom paint job.  Any manufacturer who really cares about their customers will handle each complaint on a case-by-case basis, and will rectify reasonable complaints without resorting to the "it meets our standards" pitch.  Now, if you complain that the powder coat on the oil pan has runs or drips, you may get tossed out on your ear.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2005, 11:11:35 AM »

That's why I was trying your suggestion of the "save target as", and that isn't working either. Hence I believe it to be a problem w/that website. [highlight]I did get the attachment you posted though.[/highlight] Thanks

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Gary you're clicking in the wrong place.  Look in my post, not the one where the original link was.  Here's a screen shot of the post.  Look to the nose of the aircraft and you'll see the link.  

I did get the attachment you posted, I was referring to the website the original link pointed to.  :)  

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2005, 11:50:32 AM »

I did get the attachment you posted, I was referring to the website the original link pointed to.  :)  

The hazards of text based communication........
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 117

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 21 queries.