Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beware Zipper "MaxFlow" air cleaner element  (Read 2397 times)

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Beware Zipper "MaxFlow" air cleaner element
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:45:48 PM »

So I'm out for a ride last weekend and we come to a traffic light after a nice long straight run down the highway.  I look down at the stop and notice that there is no longer an air cleaner sticking out from the right side of my bike.  What's there instead is a backing plate with 3 broken studs sticking out from it.  Fortunately I was at the back of the group and didn't wipe anybody out with my flying air cleaner trick.  I had my feet up on the hwy pegs and didn't feel anything when the parts departed.  Now here is the really funny part, that was my second MaxFlow.  The first went AWOL about a year ago and zippers replaced that one for free, but I had to buy and new football and screamin eagle cover plate.  This time, I replaced it a Ness big sucker-lesson learned.  Now in Zipper defense, they do say on their website "Do not install decorative cover inserts (due to increased weight)"  but come on here, it only a 1/2" longer stud, surely they can find a stronger stud to handle the additional weight of a decorative cover.  It sounds like a cop out to me.  I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who is using one of these air cleaners,  move to the back of the group, because its not if it will shear off, but when!

jawarford1

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Beware Zipper "MaxFlow" air cleaner element
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:54:09 PM »

Did you go with the Stage I or II kit ?

And is this on a 103ci motor ?

Thanks

Joel

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: Beware Zipper "MaxFlow" air cleaner element
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:42:09 PM »

I did the stage II that uses a derby cover.  The motor is a 103 with 575 zippers 575 cams.  So far it seems to be a good match.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.