Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PCV Retro or SERT?  (Read 1118 times)

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
PCV Retro or SERT?
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:06:48 AM »

Have an 03 SERK . . . not sure which way to go, PCV Retro or Screamin Eagle Race Tuner?

What is the difference?

Taking advice before I buy:  which would be better?
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing
"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: PCV Retro or SERT?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:34:23 AM »

TTS Mastertune!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:35:04 AM »

What he said!
:2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:19:08 AM »

i just looked at the fuel moto web site concerning the purchase of a tts master tuner and they no longer carry tts products. any one know why? :nixweiss:

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »

Let's just say Fuel Moto was dropped as a distributor and leave it at that. There are plenty of others out there.

http://www.mastertune.net/dealers.html

The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »

Have an 03 SERK . . . not sure which way to go, PCV Retro or Screamin Eagle Race Tuner?

What is the difference?

Selecting the software is much less important than selecting the tuner. Go with the software that your tuner is most comfortable/skilled at using. If you're planning to do any of your own tuning, you might want to consider that fact that TTS requires you to store your laptop on the bike in order to make data recordings whereas the SEPST software from HD has a small storage device (VCI) so that you don't need to strap a laptop to the bike. For some bikes and home users this might be an important differentiator.

Since your bike is a 2003 you shouldn't have any warranty issues but for those that have a newer bike this might be a consideration for staying with HD's software.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 08:59:25 PM »

What is the difference?

For what it's worth I put a PCIII on my non CVO, 03RKC it is still running great today and never had any trouble with it. Just FYI...
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 09:02:05 PM »

TTS Mastertune!
I was just wondering why you like the TTS better than the PCV? Thanks

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 01:05:22 AM »

I was just wondering why you like the TTS better than the PCV? Thanks

I am not going to get into a debate on which is better and why, that has been hashed out on the forum to death. Let me state this simply and factually from personal experience:

Up until recently I had a power commander on my own 05 SEEG. I finally got around to installing the TTS ( I barely get time to ride my bike let along work on it :o). In doing so I reflashed my ECM with an 07+ map that allowed the use of the OEM o2 sensors and enabled closed loop feedback at idle and part throttle conditions (this is an option for those with an 05-06 bike)  . I had my bike re-tuned and I have to say that it has never ran better. There is NO pinging. Before with the PCIII I always had pinging on hot days that could not be tuned out. Throttle resonse is smooth and crisp. My milage went up from 30MPG to 38mpg.

With the TTS you can save your original calibration and reload it if needed. There is no footprint left by the TTS. The SE pro tuner does not allow this feature.

Power commanders are an add on device and can fail. On newer bikes with the ECM under the seat the connectors have been a problem. Adding more connections to the ECM is asking for more trouble. I have seen several failed devices over the years at the shop. I am not sure about the PCV but the PCIII also eliminates the knock sensing capability of the Delphi ECM. On the other hand there are millions out there running fine and they do do a decent job and are easy to tune and find a tuner familiar with it.

Yes I am a TTS dealer and also a PC dealer. It has been over a year since I sold a PC and that was to a customer that had one fail.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 09:16:51 AM »

I am not going to get into a debate on which is better and why, that has been hashed out on the forum to death. Let me state this simply and factually from personal experience:

Up until recently I had a power commander on my own 05 SEEG. I finally got around to installing the TTS ( I barely get time to ride my bike let along work on it :o). In doing so I reflashed my ECM with an 07+ map that allowed the use of the OEM o2 sensors and enabled closed loop feedback at idle and part throttle conditions (this is an option for those with an 05-06 bike)  . I had my bike re-tuned and I have to say that it has never ran better. There is NO pinging. Before with the PCIII I always had pinging on hot days that could not be tuned out. Throttle resonse is smooth and crisp. My milage went up from 30MPG to 38mpg.

With the TTS you can save your original calibration and reload it if needed. There is no footprint left by the TTS. The SE pro tuner does not allow this feature.

Power commanders are an add on device and can fail. On newer bikes with the ECM under the seat the connectors have been a problem. Adding more connections to the ECM is asking for more trouble. I have seen several failed devices over the years at the shop. I am not sure about the PCV but the PCIII also eliminates the knock sensing capability of the Delphi ECM. On the other hand there are millions out there running fine and they do do a decent job and are easy to tune and find a tuner familiar with it.

Yes I am a TTS dealer and also a PC dealer. It has been over a year since I sold a PC and that was to a customer that had one fail.

I am not a dealer and I have no financial interest in any product. I am a "tinkerer" and over the years I found out what I like and works for me. I have others in the club using the PC or whatever and like what they have. Some have wanted to "test ride" my new bike. I have allowed that to a select few! LOL
It's curious to see that even though they thought their bike ran great, they still comment how smooth and well-mannered my bike runs. I use the TTS and have it setup to run that way. I'm not concerned about top end HP and use the bike for hauling heavy loads (don't go there! LOL).
Am I sold on the TTS? Yep, do I want to go to something else? Nope. Don't need to and I HAVE ridden other bikes with different devices, some run nice, some do not.
Most of the owners don't even know that their bikes don't run smoothly. BUT, they like it that way! Oh well, to each his own.
JMHO
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »

Thanks that was the kind of info I was looking for.

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:03:49 AM »

Selecting the software is much less important than selecting the tuner. Go with the software that your tuner is most comfortable/skilled at using. If you're planning to do any of your own tuning, you might want to consider that fact that TTS requires you to store your laptop on the bike in order to make data recordings whereas the SEPST software from HD has a small storage device (VCI) so that you don't need to strap a laptop to the bike. For some bikes and home users this might be an important differentiator.

Since your bike is a 2003 you shouldn't have any warranty issues but for those that have a newer bike this might be a consideration for staying with HD's software.

Great helpful discussion, everybody!

So, simply . . . I want to do my own tuning and do not want to carry my laptop while traveling (to record date) . . . do not want the SEPST storage device (VCI) . . . just want to connect and play a little with it myself.  No warranty issues with the 03 SERK I have . . .

so . . . I bought the bike used (with only 3700 miles on it) last year.  Came with V&H ovals, looks like the stock breather on it  . . . but it feels like it was never remapped by the previous owner . . . I am only getting about 27 mpg on the 103 . . . and some popping when slowing down in gear . . . and, perhaps, a little slow on the low speed acceleration.  I suspicion the guy slapped pipes on and that was it . . . no new map.

I am going to put a Heavy Breather on it, or something similar . . . I just thought it would be time to go aftermarket tuner while I am going to a breather with more air rather than just a one time remap . . . thought a tuner I could play a little with will allow me to make whatever changes I want later and to tweak the mapping . . . on an 03 Fatboy, after changing the pipes and breather, paid the cost for the one-time remap, and it still never felt right . . . so, this time, I want some meaningful software control for myself.

So . . . maybe . . . for my limited novice purposes . . . a PCV Retro with an Autotune module?  Do I really need the autotune module with what I am envisioning?  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:07:33 AM by Rhetor »
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing
"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 22 queries.