Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Many of you stick with the stock windscreen?  (Read 1247 times)

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
Many of you stick with the stock windscreen?
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:00:43 PM »

Hello American Friends,

I don't know what my problem was with the last ultra, I think it was going into a hot summer and I wanted more air...  But in the last 12 months we have had rain, and more rain, and inbetweeen we have had floods,  :nixweiss: broken by more rain.  WETTEST YEAR IN HISTORY...   >:(

I had planned to build Big Blue 11.5, with a clockwerks style low wind curved windscreen, but now I am wondering about the existing stock screen.  My scooter will come in mid winter down under (July), and the thought came I would try stock again.

I am just curious, do the majority change out the windscreen, or the majority leave the stock one in place??
  My last Ultra ended up like this, wind in face model:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Many of you stick with the stock windscreen?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:40:23 PM »

Hi Cowboy2,

I would guess if 50 people replied to this post you might get 50 different replies and favorite windshield recommendations.
I changed out the shield on both my 2006  SE Ultra and my 2009 SERG.
I found that the short shields funneled the air right into my face. I have a long torso and ride with an open faced helmet. (One reason you see on many threads the riders give not only their height but their inseam, so you can decide if they have a long torso/ standard size/ or short torso.)
I like a taller shield in general and don't swap out shields. Both bikes I have use a Clearview Shield that has the recurve at the top so you can use a lower shield but have the protection of a taller shield when you need it.
Clearview Shields has a page on how to select a shield and they happen to give a discount to CVO site members. Their service is great also.

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:56:04 AM »

I think my problem with the last one, was double rain drops, on the windshield and my Full Face screen in the rain...

I am thinking now, maybe the windscreen is enough in the rain with my face shield up...  Just curious how many went for the air or the look, vrs the full screen protection.

I am fairly tall, 6'1' and the full screen on my ultra took most of it in the rain.  So with Dresser Owners is it "Show" or "Go"....  Like an old HD Dealer told me in the 70's, you can put your money into Show or Go...  I am just curious if I did not give the full screen enough time to get used to it...  I immediately within maybe 1000 or 2000 clicks took it off.  Do many of you get used to it and stick with..............?

semperfi81

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5B #860 of 999
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »

First thing to go, running a klockwerks 8.5 and love it. :coolblue:

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:43:20 AM »

Best thing I ever did was go with a 10" Clearview Re-Curve. There pricing is reasonable and their customer service is awesome!! This is just my opinion of a good product. :2vrolijk_21:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

cobaltcvo11

• CVO1: 2011.5 SEUC Twilight/Cobalt
    • CVO2: 1997 FLHTCUI Burned in house fire 2010
    • Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »

I used the stock 9.5 that came on my 11.5 SEUC for a few weeks and found that my head was buffeted really bad with a helmet on and also the wind noise was bad without my helmet here in Illinois. Yesterday I ordered the 9 inch dark gray from Freedom Shields. I will repost after trying this re-curved windshield. From what I have read I have high expectations using the same height windshield in this design.
The older I get, The cooler I was

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »

Thanks Guys,
This is what came with my CVO SESG already on it, as they displayed it with a few custom options...  I guess what I can do is swap them out and try this.  I think this might be that Klockwerks 8.5 you are talking about Semperfi ?  It has a little teardrop sort of shape logo on the front middle of the screen...  Here I will post pics..  You have given me a great idea to swap this over onto the Ultra to decide.

I will say, I like it on the Street Glide, as it seems to lower the wind buffeting on the Bike as you come across gaps in the hills on windy days.  It seems to greatly reduce it down to near nil due to the shape.  Semperfi, is this what the Klockwerks looks like?

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »

10" Longride Flipshield in medium tint......love it
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:57:52 PM »

10" Longride Flipshield in medium tint......love it

Whazzzat?  Flip Shield sounds good, if it means what it says, some kind of yea or nea windscreen flip???

:worthless:

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:25:05 PM »

http://longrideshields.com/

I was wondering too so I looked it up. Seems like the flip simply refers to the recurve on the top edge of the shield.

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 22 queries.