Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: windsheilds  (Read 1566 times)

seltaeb

• Junior CVO Member
windsheilds
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »

Shortdog, you said you ran the compact on both your wifes and yourselfs springers, did you get the 15' or the 11'?  what is the height from the headlight cutout to the top of your windsheild?  I am 5,7 and want to be able to see over the windsheild. anyones suggestions or info would be so helpful on this subject. Thanx in advance.

tjp

• 08 FXSTSSE2
Re: windsheilds
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »

I run one as well ; I went with part no 58770-96 and had it cut down 3" ; I am 6' tall ; I look over the windshield at all times ; The air foil does hit the top of my head, but that was my goal; the windshield does an excellent job keeping the wind off the body, especially coming up by the sides of the front gas tank (I previously had a windvest that did not do the job) and would never go on a long ride with out it!

I am not sure of exact height from the head lamp cut out, but could check if you really want to ; however what you should do is sit on your bike with windshiled held at the proper mounting angle and pick a spot that runs in line with your nose, and have windhshield cut down to that level ; my harley dealer charged me $50 to cut it down and it looks perfect.

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »

I just pulled out the invoice from the wife's bike. The part # for the Detachable Compact Windshield is: 58771-96. The number for the mounting kit is: 58907-96B.
It is a very simple installation.
I am also "vertically challenged" (about 5'7") and easily look over the top with no distractions.

seltaeb

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:46:20 PM »

:orange: Thanx so much Shortdog for your effort and information, maybe i can finally get the correct windsheild.    Frank

seltaeb

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »

:bananarock:Thanx Tjp for the information, This was very helpful. Frank
I run one as well ; I went with part no 58770-96 and had it cut down 3" ; I am 6' tall ; I look over the windshield at all times ; The air foil does hit the top of my head, but that was my goal; the windshield does an excellent job keeping the wind off the body, especially coming up by the sides of the front gas tank (I previously had a windvest that did not do the job) and would never go on a long ride with out it!

I am not sure of exact height from the head lamp cut out, but could check if you really want to ; however what you should do is sit on your bike with windshiled held at the proper mounting angle and pick a spot that runs in line with your nose, and have windhshield cut down to that level ; my harley dealer charged me $50 to cut it down and it looks perfect.

:bananarock:

motopierre

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »

Mine is 58771-96, it's a 14 inch lightly smoke, I easily see over hit with my 5'11 frame. Here in Canada I have to wear an helmet. At highway speed + 70 mph it makes some buffeting on top of my helmet so for me it's a bit short. So next year I will change  it for a clearview shield with a recurved or 2 inch higher.

Motopierre

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.