Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: 103  proven hop up  (Read 18401 times)

Spook_103

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: 103
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2004, 03:23:43 PM »

Not a problem.  Good luck with the build. Spook.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
Re: 103  proven hop up
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2004, 04:46:27 PM »

Is it possible to bump the compression to 10:1 with the stock heads? I'm still confused as to what the stock heads are. Are they the performance heads PN 16952-99B? Thanks!

No that part # is not the heads installed on these scooters (they are not in the catalog). Yes it is possible to raise the compression to 10:1 with stock heads, some options are smaller gaskets (reducing the thickness) that alone will not get you to 10:1 so "decking" is the next option (machining some material off the gasket surface area), or you can just buy some pistons to achieve 10:1 you probably have to go to the aftermarket because I believe harley only offers 10.25:1 (cast) or 10.5:1 (forged).
Njoy [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 04:48:09 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2004, 05:07:04 PM »

O' fender:

I'm just whing about the fact that lifters and pushrods and rocker arms and hipo valve springs make more noise when they are lifted farther. Compared to stock that is. Now I've never used a real high lift cam (over .600) but I just assume that if my .590 makes more noise than my .530...then a .640 is probably not in my future. For touring around...the more noise you add...exhaust, mechanical, wind etc. the tired'er you get...the farther you go....

I didn't mean to say that the Woods cams were noisier than others, they're not. The are however, as nearly as I can tell more powerful than the T55's or S & S  585's. They have a little more aggressive ramp. I think that might account for some of the noise factor too.

Did I just contradict myself?

[smiley=confused5.gif]

delnel

• Full CVO Member
  • Just Enjoying Life!! Ride On
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2004, 08:20:27 AM »

SBC do you have any dyno sheets to show your HP and TQ numbers after your head work and either of your cam picks and with Rinehart exhaust. If so I would really like to see them. I have Rineharts and SE air cleaner and Race Tuner on my bike and am looking for a little more. DelNel [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Never be afraid to do something new. Remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2004, 09:44:01 AM »

O' fender:

I'm just whing about the fact that lifters and pushrods and rocker arms and hipo valve springs make more noise when they are lifted farther. Compared to stock that is. Now I've never used a real high lift cam (over .600) but I just assume that if my .590 makes more noise than my .530...then a .640 is probably not in my future. For touring around...the more noise you add...exhaust, mechanical, wind etc. the tired'er you get...the farther you go....

I didn't mean to say that the Woods cams were noisier than others, they're not. The are however, as nearly as I can tell more powerful than the T55's or S & S  585's. They have a little more aggressive ramp. I think that might account for some of the noise factor too.

Did I just contradict myself?

[smiley=confused5.gif]

PCC aggressive ramps have more of an impact on valve train noise than just high lift does!!! That is why I asked you if the cam was noisy, I know that woods likes to use aggressive ramps (not sure how aggressive). So please try to elborate on your answer. I am in the cam shopping mode and have never used woods cams, and from the looks of his cam profiles I would think they are loud. I have been using the leineweber cams for alot of years with great results but they are very noisy not my 1st choice for my bagger/touring scooter.

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2004, 11:53:05 AM »

You know what O'Fender... In my bikes... all of the performance cams I've used have made the valve train noiseier...so in my book it doesn't really matter whose right about ramps or lift or whatever. I don't think there's any ELABORATION to be done, but hey...thanks for the education.

ratrbridin

• Ride Hard, Die Fast
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2004, 07:03:11 PM »

My bike's running. Too late to question the SE 264 cams. I had roller rockers installed, which by the way mandated some minor mods to be made to the inner webbing on the covers. Intake valves were being held open allowing blow by, but anyway.... I can't hear any mechanical noise that causes me any concern AT ALL!  Honest to God, my bike sounds like a top fuel dragster staging as soon as it begins to get up on the cams. Andthat's around 1800 - 2000 rpm. Guys, everybody on the east side of Atlanta is talking about this motor. Forcewinder intake is out, hit the lowers. I have opted to go with a Kuryakyn Hypercharger Pro Series. I think it'll maintain the trick look I want to stick with and allow the airflow that to heads will require. Happy so far. I'm picking it up next week for our New Years Day Ride. Stone Mountain HD is footing the bill for the dyno runs, but I want to put a 1000 or so on it before they do.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2004, 10:53:46 AM »

You know what O'Fender... In my bikes... all of the performance cams I've used have made the valve train noiseier...so in my book it doesn't really matter whose right about ramps or lift or whatever. I don't think there's any ELABORATION to be done, but hey...thanks for the education.

PCC if you won't elaborate how about a simple number, if a stock cam equals "1" and  unbearable valve train noise equals "5" where does your cam rate?

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2004, 12:23:01 PM »

O'Fender...you must be an attorney. It's just louder...OK!!!! I can stand the noise... but I ride a lot of miles.. like 20 - 30,000 a year and sometimes it anoys me. 200-300 miles...not a problem.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2004, 01:51:35 PM »

O'Fender...you must be an attorney. It's just louder...OK!!!! I can stand the noise... but I ride a lot of miles.. like 20 - 30,000 a year and sometimes it anoys me. 200-300 miles...not a problem.

What is it that time a month again? [smiley=bigcry.gif] I know your probably just to busy putting all those miles on. thanks for your input "BRO" you 've been real helpful. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2004, 03:14:13 PM »

Sooooo.... beacuse i can't describe it better... you get pissed off?????
I'm not going to say anything more to offend you, but I think the "BRO' comment was not necessary.

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member
  • I'd rather be twisting the wick!!!!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 Black/Blue
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTK
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2004, 06:15:33 PM »

Everyone interested in making their 103 run a little better, check out the latest American Rider. In the Tech section with Joe Minton, he says the factory cams are too big and says to run the 204's advanced 4 degrees or use the TW21's. Pretty interesting! Thought I'd pass on the info. Happy New Year and Happy Motoring!!!!!

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2004, 08:39:10 PM »

I, who pretty much doubt everything, DO trust Joe Minton, I have talked with him, he is very impressive. Knows his stuff! His cam assumption is hard to take, as bigger always seems better, but probably true.

MAS

• Full CVO Member
  • LO and SLO
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2005, 04:30:24 PM »

Everyone interested in making their 103 run a little better, check out the latest American Rider. In the Tech section with Joe Minton, he says the factory cams are too big and says to run the 204's advanced 4 degrees or use the TW21's. Pretty interesting! Thought I'd pass on the info. Happy New Year and Happy Motoring!!!!!

Very interesting...I am going to put a new set of cams in and have almost decided on the 211's based on their specs and a dyno sheet posted on this site with them compared to our CVO 253 cam. This will give me another option to make my head spin [smiley=idea.gif].
05 Green FLHTCSE2
Vance and Hines Dresser Duals
SE performance mufflers Kerker Mikuni baffles
SE High flow kit
HD Race tuner
Progressive 440 shocks
02 Big Dog Bulldog

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2005, 06:33:59 PM »

Guys & Gals,

I to am in the process of building 103" Engine.

I have started with an 03 SE CVO 103" Engine. The heads are the stock 103" Heads for that year, Short Block Charlies in Phoeinx (has posted on the site) has reowrked the heads  Full Porting, high velocity ports, Proprierty "Twin Swirl" combustion chambers, flow vanes incorporated into the ports to enhance swirl.

Going with the Andrews TW55G Cams, Feuling Pump & Lifters , 6 Speed Baker DDS, Rinehart or RB Racing Black Hole 2:1 Exhaust. Remap of the HD Race Tuner. And thats it.

Bike is an 03 Road Glide.

Will know how bike runs when I go to Phoenix during Bike Week in April. Conservatively expecting apprx. minimum of 110 HP and TQ of 115 lb ft.

Can not ride in this wonderful -23 deg C weather we are having this week.

Keep you posted when finished.

geezerglide
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.