Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 2013 gold cvo breakout  (Read 12003 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Re: 2013 gold cvo breakout
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »

I purchased the 2013 CVO Breakout in gold. Due to numerous light scratches and blemishes,I am very displeased with the paint quality which was billed as a "mirror" finish.My dealer has only sold (1) mine,and doesn't have anything to compare it to. There is some chat on Youtube claiming delivery of this model has been suspended possibly to a paint issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Those are swirl marks on the raw polished metal.  Its also what makes it cool.  Rust under the clearcoat however, is another story.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »

My red one is perfect...if I were you, I'd call Harley corporate.  The CVO is their flagship.

the crimson bikes have a totally different paint scheme, not utilizing the polished raw metal tanks and fenders
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »

Those are swirl marks on the raw polished metal.  Its also what makes it cool.  Rust under the clearcoat however, is another story.

Take a pic of the rust....

I wonder if it was sanded and polished and sat for a while before next steps in the paint process. :nixweiss:

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »

Take a pic of the rust....

I wonder if it was sanded and polished and sat for a while before next steps in the paint process. :nixweiss:

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »

No doubt that is not good!  That is in a strange spot though....maybe it was a tiny chip that you never saw?  Either way, I hope HD takes care of it.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »

No doubt that is not good!  That is in a strange spot though....maybe it was a tiny chip that you never saw?  Either way, I hope HD takes care of it.
nope, no chip.  Totally smooth above it.  Today I removed passenger pillion and saw a similar rust point coming thru near bolt hole.  MoCo better take care of it....

thewasteguy

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 09:53:27 PM »

Thanks 4 all the input.I also have some very light scratches which I am totally oblivious as to their origin.It appears they could be buffed out.I purchased some HD scratch remover but am afraid to use it.I love the bike but the light scratches and swirls in the paint are bugging me.

NYRdKngLouis

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 12:27:53 AM »

I do not own a BO. I do have still a deposit for the M14...but the more I learn about BOs, the less hopes I have that will be a BO M14 production. The reason, so far, is that as we know, the painting job for the Gold and Silver schemes, are hand polished and hand painted. Many of those jobs were perfect but others were not. Hand made things depends on the skill and momentary mood/circumstance of the craftsmen...hence, not al BO paint scheme were created equally the same.
H-D wisely have suspended the production since they have to repair many jobs. The question is...when and to whom they have repaired those issues?...Well, knowing H-D and Corp America...you will need a lawyers letter to be "heard"
On other note, I am wondering if a Insurance company have to replace painted parts and they do not match...what then...this is a fairly common problem in particular with the sophisticated CVO paint scheme.

Just saying

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »

I do not own a BO. I do have still a deposit for the M14...but the more I learn about BOs, the less hopes I have that will be a BO M14 production. The reason, so far, is that as we know, the painting job for the Gold and Silver schemes, are hand polished and hand painted. Many of those jobs were perfect but others were not. Hand made things depends on the skill and momentary mood/circumstance of the craftsmen...hence, not al BO paint scheme were created equally the same.
H-D wisely have suspended the production since they have to repair many jobs. The question is...when and to whom they have repaired those issues?...Well, knowing H-D and Corp America...you will need a lawyers letter to be "heard"
On other note, I am wondering if a Insurance company have to replace painted parts and they do not match...what then...this is a fairly common problem in particular with the sophisticated CVO paint scheme.

Just saying

It's been my experience that while there has been no doubt about various issues with our bikes, Harley has come thru for me, 100% of the time.  My 2011 CVO Softail Convertible had a paint issue that they took care of, replaced several set of mirrors with peeling chrome, oil leaks etc.  It helps to have a good relationship with your dealer of course, as they can go to bat for you . . . or not.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »

I also have a gold Breakout and I can see sanding or finishing marks under the paint.  The marks are not in the paint but, on the metal itself.  I was told by my dealer that was the intended look.

I also heard of a paint issue with the Breakout but, it was a supply issue not a quality problem. 

Can owners of the black and/or burgundy Breakout see finishing or sanding marks on your tank and front fender?  Please share your observations.

My crimson red paint is absolutely steller....no sanding marks anywhere, but with the dark paint and lace pattern it might be had to see.  I looked at it from various angles, close up and almost parallel to the surface and can't see any sanding or grinding marks...
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

13brkoutCVO

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »

I watched several introductory YouTube videos of the BO.  In a few I could see machine marks thru the paint (in the video) and in at least two videos the dealer refers to "seeing finishing marks" in the metal in the gold BO.  I also went back to my local HD dealer today and asked about the paint issue and was assured that was the look HD intended. 

BREAKOUT_NOW

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »

I just got back from our local dealer and they had a polished/black model on the floor. The tank definitely didn't look finished enough to start polishing it out. Looks like they didn't go through all the phases of sanding to dress it out....looked like they stopped at 220 in some spots.

thewasteguy

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 07:51:58 PM »

I met with the regional rep for HD yesterday.He agreed that the tank showed scratches  and was bewildered as to how they could be under the clear coat.I accepted his offer to coordinate a buffing and polishing professionally with my dealer.He claims that the lines that are parallel reflects the intended look,however many lines look like scratches and have no pattern. He also claimed that they did not suspend distribution of the model and all 1900 units were built,sold,and delivered.I was approached by a person that ordered one last August and is now being told he can't get it.I'll keep everyone posted.Bob (thewasteguy)

ozdrums

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »

My Black & Silver has the exact same marks. Mine also has a half inch cloudy halo around the gas cap trim ring. The dealer doesn't know what caused it. They claimed it wasn't there when the bike was prepped but appeared while waiting for me to pick it up. The service manager speculated that maybe the cleaning products used to clean the bike after prep maybe caused the halo or maybe when they filled the tank with gas some spilled and got under the clear. The good news is that the dealer notified HD and sent them photos of the problem. They have agreed to replace the tank. It's been on order for a week now. Hopefully the new one will look better.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »

They have agreed to replace the tank. It's been on order for a week now. Hopefully the new one will look better.
[/quote]
Seems like the MoCo is acknowledging the paint problems and making good on them.  I doubt the 2014 CVO Breakouts will have the same polished raw metal paint scheme.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.