Custom Vehicle Discussions > CVO™ Road Glide Custom®

2012 FLTRXSE

(1/15) > >>

Beemer:
CA EPA application lists a 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom...to me, that means they drop the ultra treatment and go back to the 09 SERG hot rod style but whats with the "custom" designation?  Isn't a CVO (Custom Vehicle Operations) a custom? WTFO?

Is it going to be a FLTRSE4 or do we need to start a FLTRXSE board? :nixweiss:

Whatever it is, I hope they put the Screamin' Eagle back on it!

See the application yourselves at

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/hmc/2012/harleydavidson_m0050177_1688-1802_0d5_hn.pdf

The entire list below

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/hmc/2012/2012.php

grc:
Beemer, the "Custom" in this case is just one of the standard model distinctions Harley uses.  Electraglide Standard, Electraglide Custom, Electraglide Ultra Classic,  Road King, Road King Custom, Roadglide, Roadglide Custom, etc.  They've been using those model names for a long time, and it doesn't have anything to do with being a real custom or a CVO.

It appears that the 2012 Roadglide Custom is a lowered and stripped down/sportier version (you can see a photo on the Harley site but full details aren't up yet).  So if the CVO version is based on the RG Custom, you can probably assume that the king tourpak will be gone and the bike will have a sportier style than the 2011 RG Ultra CVO.  Maybe more like a Street Glide version of a Roadglide. :nixweiss:

Full details should be up on the Harley site in a few more days.

Jerry

Beemer:

--- Quote from: grc on July 17, 2011, 02:05:22 PM ---Beemer, the "Custom" in this case is just one of the standard model distinctions Harley uses.  Electraglide Standard, Electraglide Custom, Electraglide Ultra Classic,  Road King, Road King Custom, Roadglide, Roadglide Custom, etc.  They've been using those model names for a long time, and it doesn't have anything to do with being a real custom or a CVO.
--- End quote ---

Jerry, I beg to differ...the only bikes listed as Customs are the standard Road Glide Custom, Super Glide Custom and Sportster Custom.

None of these bikes are CVOs and none of the other CVOs have Custom in their name either...hence my curiosity.

grc:

--- Quote from: Beemer on July 17, 2011, 03:08:25 PM ---Jerry, I beg to differ...the only bikes listed as Customs are the standard Road Glide Custom, Super Glide Custom and Sportster Custom.

None of these bikes are CVOs and none of the other CVOs have Custom in their name either...hence my curiosity.

--- End quote ---

Maybe only a few of this years models carry that designation, but if you look back over time Harley has used the "Custom" name on a ton of bikes to differentiate within the families.  You'll also see names like "Standard" or "Deluxe" or "Classic" appended to the main model names. 2011's SE Road Glide has Ultra in it's name, because it's based on the RG Ultra, so why would it seem strange to name a CVO based on the Road Glide Custom the SE Road Glide Custom?

BTW, to answer a question from your original post (Isn't a CVO (Custom Vehicle Operations) a custom?), a CVO is not a true custom bike.  True customs don't come in production runs numbering in the thousands, and they don't roll off production lines.  Kind of like all those cars and trucks with "Limited" badges on the back aren't really low volume "limited availability" vehicles.  It's just a name; it's called marketing. 

Think of a CVO as an upscale option package with a bunch of stuff from the accessory catalog as well as somewhat distinctive paint.  Even the paint isn't what I'd call custom; the numbered paint sets Harley sells in the catalog are much more exclusive than a CVO paint job.  One out of a hundred, or one of several thousand.  Which would you call "custom"?

Jerry

ThunderBueller:
It's simple, it will be a CVO based on the Road Glide Custom. I would guess it will be more like the '09 CVO RG than the '11.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version