Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL  (Read 61117 times)

Furmon

CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:03:25 PM »

Thinking about trading my 2011 CVO Street Glide in on a BMW K1600GTL.  Wish I could have both but not in the cards.  Like a lot about both bikes, afraid if I take a test ride on the GTL I'll want it more then the Street Glide.  Has anybody went to the GTL from a CVO. I get tired of a bike after a few years and want something different, wife doesn't agree with having two:(

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
Re: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »

There is a thread on the 1600 forum regarding folks who went from HD to BMW.  Might be worth your while to take a look at it.  Good information.  If you buy used beware of the early bikes as they a bunch of issues.  Good luck. Spook

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:30:35 PM »

Yes, there are at least a couple on this forum that I know.  One still has the Harley also.

Chuck (CAP) has rode every state of the continental US on his 1600.  He rolled over from an 09 SERG.  Said he has no regreats.  Look for posts under his name.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 07:32:20 PM »

K1600 is a great bike. Engine is wonderful.

I had one of the first ones. Lots of small issues that added up being annoying. I would definitely buy one again.

Ride one and see for yourself. It's a great ride in anyway. Speeding tickets will be an issue.

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:03:09 PM »

I had a test bike from BMW dealer for 3 days, outstanding no complains only I had issues with setting position, foot rest, and once you exceeds 120km you will not be able to hear the music, rather then that the bike is perfect
A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:14:53 PM »

Yea Chuck even blew his GTL up, but kept it after the factory gave him a new engine.  Everyone I know that has one,  loves it.  We have an RT that the little woman rides, and my next purchase may be another RT, but will most likely be the GTL.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:28:05 AM »

The GTL is simply an amazing bike.  I test rode one for several hours, and was completely sold on it.  My wife actually vetoed it due to the topbox not being firmly anchored.....The mount flexes and made her very uncomfortable, hence we bought the GS/A.

At any rate, the only real negative I could find was low-speed handling.  At walking speeds, it feels ponderous.

For anything else, it's unreal.  It's insanely fast.  The suspension and brakes are amazing.  It's ridiculously comfortable.  I get weak in the knees every time I see one.  If I could talk my wife into putting up with the rocking topbox, I'd sell a kidney to get one.
The best you've had is the best you know.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »

Thinking about trading my 2011 CVO Street Glide in on a BMW K1600GTL.  Wish I could have both but not in the cards.  Like a lot about both bikes, afraid if I take a test ride on the GTL I'll want it more then the Street Glide.  Has anybody went to the GTL from a CVO. I get tired of a bike after a few years and want something different, wife doesn't agree with having two:(

I suggest you try to avoid the mistake some others have made when changing from a Harley to a European or Japanese brand, which is not taking an extended test ride first.  IMHO the Beemer suspension and powertrain are light years ahead of the stuff Harley puts out, but the ergonomics of the bike are definitely not similar to the "lay back on the couch" ergonomics of a Harley touring model.  This is a sport touring bike designed for effortless high speed touring, not something designed to look good putting around in a parade.

See if the dealer will let you take the bike for a weekend to make sure you like how it fits you and how it handles under various conditions.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:01:38 AM »

I suggest you try to avoid the mistake some others have made when changing from a Harley to a European or Japanese brand, which is not taking an extended test ride first.  IMHO the Beemer suspension and powertrain are light years ahead of the stuff Harley puts out, but the ergonomics of the bike are definitely not similar to the "lay back on the couch" ergonomics of a Harley touring model.  This is a sport touring bike designed for effortless high speed touring, not something designed to look good putting around in a parade.

See if the dealer will let you take the bike for a weekend to make sure you like how it fits you and how it handles under various conditions.

JMHO - Jerry

Great advice.

Report back after that test ride!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Christian

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:29:11 AM »

I never would trade my Harley in on a BMW.
And I live in Germany. What do you want to do with an BMW 1600 in the States?  This Bike is made to run always minimum 120mph to have fun. I think you will soon loose your drivers license :oops:

If I want to go (really) fast on the "Autobahn", I take the Porsche.

No Bike will be such comfortable as a Harley. Just my 2C

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »

This ain't "apples to apples" but if you like the Euro styling, the BMW is very good product, just don't park it at Broken Spoke in Daytona, it might get hung.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 10:38:04 AM »

And I live in Germany. What do you want to do with an BMW 1600 in the States?  This Bike is made to run always minimum 120mph to have fun. I think you will soon loose your drivers license :oops:

Christian, I like the way you think, brother, and glad you have that option..... :2vrolijk_21:

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 10:40:28 AM »

JMHO - Jerry

Will completely agree with Jerry on that comment.  You could extend that to any brand one might not be familier with.... ;D

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 12:06:51 PM »

I believe that Rob May has a thread on here about his BMW experiences.

I think he kept a HD while he owned the Beemer, but I think in the long run he sold it and is just HD again.

Check out some of his threads, very honest assessments of the bike and the BSR thoughts on it as well.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 12:15:52 PM »

I agree with Christian on this point, if you are not riding it to its full potential, it is very boring to ride. The K1600 loves twisties, and 100 mph cruising. What everyone else has added is true, quite, fast, brakes are insanely good.  The GTL seating position is a little more upright than the GT, but both are comfortable. But just cruising down the road, I'll take my Harley.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.