Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What type of Tool Kit do you carry when Traveling on your bike?  (Read 7736 times)

catahoula58

• Senior CVO Member
  • "There are no LifeGuards in the Gene Pool"
    • TX

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
    • CVO2: 2004 Heritage Softail (NON CVO)

Is there a certain type of kit that you carry when traveling? Home made, Harley supplied or one that you purchase on EBAY or home town store.  Not sure that the one supplied by Harley is sufficient enough for fixing issues on the road. 
I know most of us carry: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Harley Roadside Assistance, AAA, or other known roadside coverage. 

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: What type of Tool Kit do you carry when Traveling on your bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »

Is there a certain type of kit that you carry when traveling? Home made, Harley supplied or one that you purchase on EBAY or home town store.  Not sure that the one supplied by Harley is sufficient enough for fixing issues on the road. 
I know most of us carry: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Harley Roadside Assistance, AAA, or other known roadside coverage.
I have an older version of the one you have pictured. At the time it was the best deal on a kit I could find.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »

cell phone
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »

I have an older version of the CruzTools RoadTech Teardrop that I purchased back when I had my Fatboy w/the Chrome Teardrop Toolbox on the swingarm.

The kit now sits in the bottom of one of my saddlebags.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 01:17:49 PM »

One thought to keep in mind; the fits-all tool kits may help, and are certainly better than nothing, but they need some supplementing.  The bikes aren't a one size fits all contraption.

Add a small spool of mechanics wire; just in case something loose needs tied up.  Some electrical wire also, and maybe some t-taps or other connection aids along with a roll of electrical tape.  Some small wire cutters and needle nose and whatever else may be specific to your bike.  Also keep in mind that small basic socket and wrench sets from Craftsman or other vendors are often had inexpensively and may work better (i.e., not round out or round off) as easily as some of the "kit" tools might.

Take a walk-around around the bike during oil changes (when you're checking critical fasteners and eye-balling everything else [aren't you?]).  Make note of what tools are needed.  What size allen tool is needed for the crank sensor (for example) as that is a too often failed piece you can change on the side of the road.  Won't have to carry a "large" tool box.  But adding some supplement to a little universal tool pouch can't hurt and might help.

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »

Snap On offers a HD specific tool kit that I have added a few items to. My tour pack is the dedicated road trip  essentials location. Included is the small cycle pump compressor  with the rubber mushroom type plug kit, a very small cheapo DVOM, the new compact jump pack with an end that plugs into my battery tender lead. I have a 6 ft piece of hard plastic 1/4" air line for siphoning fuel, a set of spark plugs, tie raps, electrical tape, a pair of surgical gloves and small bottle of purell hand cleaner. Rain suits, spare clear helmet visors, small container of bugslide and microfiber cloth and rainx and lastly 2 spare remote batteries in with owners manual that I change out annually . All of this is loaded and ready at all times.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »

Snap On offers a HD specific tool kit that I have added a few items to. My tour pack is the dedicated road trip  essentials location. Included is the small cycle pump compressor  with the rubber mushroom type plug kit, a very small cheapo DVOM, the new compact jump pack with an end that plugs into my battery tender lead. I have a 6 ft piece of hard plastic 1/4" air line for siphoning fuel, a set of spark plugs, tie raps, electrical tape, a pair of surgical gloves and small bottle of purell hand cleaner. Rain suits, spare clear helmet visors, small container of bugslide and microfiber cloth and rainx and lastly 2 spare remote batteries in with owners manual that I change out annually . All of this is loaded and ready at all times.

Holy sheet Snap-on combined with HD I can only imagine the price of that thing lol.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »

https://store.snapon.com/Service-Sets-Set-Motorcycle-Tool-P641504.aspx

This is the kit I carry...Snap-on Motorcycle kit. 

el chuco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 01:36:07 AM »

https://store.snapon.com/Service-Sets-Set-Motorcycle-Tool-P641504.aspx

This is the kit I carry...Snap-on Motorcycle kit.
Very nice tool kit to travel with, but, how much does that weight? I ask because I want to buy one to carry on my CVO Softail Deluxe, but, the saddle bags have a 10lb carry limit.

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »

Just guessing it weighs 6-7 lbs. I have added an axle nut sizes crescent wrench to mine..

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 06:14:14 AM »

That Snap-on is a Very Nice Set !!!
DND

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »

I carry a home made version (I will get pictures later). I also carry electrical tape, small flashlight, a good rag and a can of fix a flat (I used that once on a friends bike). When in Daytona last month I saw a couple of metric bikes and several people looking around.  I asked if they needed help and the guys chain and busted. He had a master link but his stock bike tool kit wasn't providing what he needed. So I offered to help. We went back to my bike and got my tools out (his first comment was wow I didn't know how much space these bikes had). Then we went back and got his chain taken care of in about 10 minutes. I care a similar kit on the boat as well. My wife and I typically either fix or haul/tow at least two broke down bikes/boats a year. Someday when this happens to me I hope someone like me helps out!

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »

My wife and I typically either fix or haul/tow at least two broke down bikes/boats a year. Someday when this happens to me I hope someone like me helps out!
You have some karma in the bank! It's funny how much alike bikers and boaters are. I have never passed a bike or boat that appears in trouble without offering assistance. When in the cage though I have to know them. I guess my thoughts are if you are a biker or boater you have to be good people. Haven't been proven wrong yet and hope I never am.
T-MAN 117 kit

CannonBall

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 02:10:26 PM »

The Harley kit that came with the bike is pretty good. I added a 1/4" drive, few common sockets and T's, tie straps and duct tape.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:37 PM »

I carry, Nothing tool related. I used to, had a Snap-on HD kit and added stuff that I thought necessary, bought the liners/compartments that fit the bottom of the saddlebags and everything was neatly contained. Then after not using any of that stuff for over 10 years, I took it out and left it at home. Still have not had a need. I do carry a Cell phone, charge cable and USB/Cigarette adapter to charge if necessary. But that is all.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.