Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Daytona Bike Week observation  (Read 9785 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Daytona Bike Week observation
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:22:23 AM »

Rode down to bike we on Wednesday March 9th, a beautiful day.  We went down I-75 from east TN.  In the 628 miles I saw 11 motorcycles on the road headed south.  I did not count after Saint Augustine.  Yet I saw 54 trailers I know for sure were hauling bikes.

Riding home Sunday the 13th, we left at 0600.  We saw several bikes headed north on the way to Jacksonville, but it was still three trailers per every bike.  Did have a MC of 12 bikes pass us like we were parked, and we were running 80mph.

On on I-75 north we saw exactly one bike riding north and over 80 trailers hauling bikes.

Seems every year there are more and more Baggers at Dayton, while at the same time every year there are less and less actually riding to and from Daytona.  So now that we have more comfortable bikes built for touring they trailer them.  Makes no sense.

Yes I understand people North of KY or VA may need to trailer due to weather.  But 28 trailers on Sunday had GA tags, which is less than a 550 mile ride at the farthest point.  6 Trailers with FL takes, two of which were Duval County, a 95 mile ride.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
Re: Daytona Bike Week observation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »

I agree with you. Never understood why a street bike needs to be on a trailer. But it's a sensitive topic. Lots of people gets their feelings hurt when this topic comes up.

I really don't care what people do, it's their choice, just strange to me to have a perfectly good bike on a trailer.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »

Believe me, Brothers, if I could ride the distance in one sitting, I would.  The last time I rode to Daytona, was 1991!  Arthritus has taken up permanent residence in my joints, especially in the lower extremities, and it definitely limits my time in the saddle.  That's life.  Furthermore, it's comforting to know I've got a way home if my Motor blows!   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:53:09 AM »

For the longer distances, over 1,000 miles, sometimes folks would rather get there quicker by truck/trailer for a variety of reasons.  One of them is limited vacation time.  Another is physical, as Hubbard mentions.  When I was younger, as with a lot of other things, I did not really understand the trailer deal.  We rode everywhere. No trailer.  Aches & pains plus not dealing with weather events has changed my perspective. 

Was at a condo for part of BikeWeek & at a motel for the last weekend.  Many trailers, some carrying bikes that were not road trip friendly. Also many bikes, some from a great distance, no trailers.  My take on it is:  each person rides their own ride, the way they want to ride it.  If that includes a trailer, well, for them the ride starts when they drop the bike off that trailer.  For those who have no trailer, hate the idea of trailering, yes that is your decision. 

We know folks who have never ridden over a hundred miles from home - they always trailer. Even from here to Panama City which is less than 100 miles.  Know folks who have never trailered, never plan to.  Wife & I have taken multi thousand mile bike trips on the bike only - no trailer.  Have also done this with the bike on a trailer.  Circumstances dictate this decision for us. Figure is the same for others.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »

Running alongside semis for hours on the interstate isn't my idea of "riding."  Sometimes I trailer long distances and sometimes I don't.  Nice to have the option.  And there were a few times I trailered that I ended up using it when issues came up either with my bike or someone else's.  Don't really GAS what others think about it. :2vrolijk_21:

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 10:53:04 AM »

Hey Hub I need to once again agree with you. For all the die hard's out there I was one of you guys for years. All the grief I gave the trailer queens was unbelievable. But with my old age and body ailments its just not worth it so I can say I "rode". Its a stupid interstate ride anyway, nothing but cagers and hiway at 80mph. Could I ride, sure but until I can get the group to take a different route like maybe US 17 and take the extra time to get there I'm out!

BigLew

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:59:01 AM »

I Have ridden to Daytona, Myrtle Beach ( only 110 miles ), Sturgis, and Laconia , it was a bucket list thing. I have also trailered to the same ones except Laconia. Trailering to Myrtle Beach? Yes due to weather and I didn't want to listen to Susie bitch about the cold driving rain. :D
Anyway, it boils down to how I feel and what the weather is when I get ready to leave.
It also depended on vacation time. Now that I am retired, I usually just ride unless Susie is along, then we might tow or she follows in the cage. I have also been known to not even bring the bike to Maggie Valley for our GTG's. ;D

Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 11:01:39 AM »

Anymore we like to off-road also at our destinations if possible and see things that may have otherwise been missed.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 11:06:34 AM »

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »

Sometimes disposable income comes with age, as does wisdom in some cases too.

Impromptu or planned road trips of days gone by could be done on a budget because that's all one had, if you've got the funds now to travel in safety and comfort then why not?

My last long road trip was from Toronto to the bottom end of Kentucky, the ride down greeted me with the worst unpredicted rainstorm I've ever ridden in, fortunately it wasn't till I crossed the border on my ride home that my motor blew... again.

Wish I had a trailer then.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »

Riding to and from the Ouray GTG last Jun, across Ariz. in 114F temps......if I'd of had access my bike would of had a trailer under it instead of behind it.  The last few years, as I get older, the high temps affect me more and more.  I've gotten heat sick at 90F and it ain't pretty and it ain't fun......it ruins your whole day even after you get in the A/C.

My thoughts are along the lines of what iski wrote above.  For years I just never understood trailering.....it's the journey, not the destination.  Now, I'm no fan of the black slab interestates but I do really like the back roads across America and that's where you really see what this country is.  But, as I've gotten older I do understand that people have different issues (heat, arthritis, cold, rain, snow, etc. etc.) that may affect them more than it affects me and it just kind of makes one a bit more understanding and tolerant aka sensative.  :nixweiss:

I will say this....I've never known a truck and trailer to "get there quicker" than I on a bike, if time is an issue.  I was 64 yrs. old when I rode from Matthews, NC to Coronado, Ca. in two and a half days.  :P   Having said that, I know that not everybody (including a lot of those a lot younger) can ride 1,100 miles a day, two days in a row.  Not judging.....jusayinzall.   :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:28:04 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »

I guess I'll pipe in here......

My first choice is riding to wherever it is we are headed.  I enjoy the Eisenhower Interstate system and use it often.  So far, I've only had to trailer (actually a U-Haul truck) once when we had 16" of snow in East Tennessee and I was in Key West and even then I still rode to Calhoun, GA and hauled from there.  I've ridden as little at 200 miles a day on a trip and as much as 1,200 in a day with all mileage in between and enjoyed every mile, rain or shine, cold or hot (although I prefer cool/cold).

I wave at the bikes I pass (or pass me) as well as most of the folks with trailers hauling the bikes.  Hey, I understand and know that at some point in my life I'll be in the position of trailering to an event.  As I get older, my thoughts for bikes on trailers has softened.  Health, vacation time, family commitments, etc. all are very good reasons to trailer.  I salute everyone that rides at an event/GTG/rally no matter how they may have gotten there.

Keep it between the ditches.....

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 04:24:08 PM »

Believe me, Brothers, if I could ride the distance in one sitting, I would.  The last time I rode to Daytona, was 1991! Arthritus has taken up permanent residence in my joints, especially in the lower extremities, and it definitely limits my time in the saddle.  That's life.  Furthermore, it's comforting to know I've got a way home if my Motor blows!   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD   
I know what you mean.... Arthur & his Righteous Brothers are a MoFo!!!

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 04:48:55 PM »

A lot of really good points so far about people's choice of trailer or ride, and I agree with all of them. One other aspect that you might consider is the bike it's self.  In my case I love to go to different events and GTG's, but with a bike that is 16 years old and starting to get a bit "tired", an aspect of, peace of mind in case of breakdown starts to become a deciding factor as well.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »

We've ridden to Daytona, The Keys, Myrtle Beach, Sturgis, etc, several times, tent camping as we go.  However, we now tend to use a poor man's camper/toy hauler depending on the time allotted.
Besides, my wife like the luxuries..such as an air mattress and coffee pot.  No problem with anyone's method of getting there.
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 21 queries.