Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Daytona Bike Week observation  (Read 9784 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Daytona Bike Week observation
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:22:23 AM »

Rode down to bike we on Wednesday March 9th, a beautiful day.  We went down I-75 from east TN.  In the 628 miles I saw 11 motorcycles on the road headed south.  I did not count after Saint Augustine.  Yet I saw 54 trailers I know for sure were hauling bikes.

Riding home Sunday the 13th, we left at 0600.  We saw several bikes headed north on the way to Jacksonville, but it was still three trailers per every bike.  Did have a MC of 12 bikes pass us like we were parked, and we were running 80mph.

On on I-75 north we saw exactly one bike riding north and over 80 trailers hauling bikes.

Seems every year there are more and more Baggers at Dayton, while at the same time every year there are less and less actually riding to and from Daytona.  So now that we have more comfortable bikes built for touring they trailer them.  Makes no sense.

Yes I understand people North of KY or VA may need to trailer due to weather.  But 28 trailers on Sunday had GA tags, which is less than a 550 mile ride at the farthest point.  6 Trailers with FL takes, two of which were Duval County, a 95 mile ride.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
Re: Daytona Bike Week observation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »

I agree with you. Never understood why a street bike needs to be on a trailer. But it's a sensitive topic. Lots of people gets their feelings hurt when this topic comes up.

I really don't care what people do, it's their choice, just strange to me to have a perfectly good bike on a trailer.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »

Believe me, Brothers, if I could ride the distance in one sitting, I would.  The last time I rode to Daytona, was 1991!  Arthritus has taken up permanent residence in my joints, especially in the lower extremities, and it definitely limits my time in the saddle.  That's life.  Furthermore, it's comforting to know I've got a way home if my Motor blows!   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:53:09 AM »

For the longer distances, over 1,000 miles, sometimes folks would rather get there quicker by truck/trailer for a variety of reasons.  One of them is limited vacation time.  Another is physical, as Hubbard mentions.  When I was younger, as with a lot of other things, I did not really understand the trailer deal.  We rode everywhere. No trailer.  Aches & pains plus not dealing with weather events has changed my perspective. 

Was at a condo for part of BikeWeek & at a motel for the last weekend.  Many trailers, some carrying bikes that were not road trip friendly. Also many bikes, some from a great distance, no trailers.  My take on it is:  each person rides their own ride, the way they want to ride it.  If that includes a trailer, well, for them the ride starts when they drop the bike off that trailer.  For those who have no trailer, hate the idea of trailering, yes that is your decision. 

We know folks who have never ridden over a hundred miles from home - they always trailer. Even from here to Panama City which is less than 100 miles.  Know folks who have never trailered, never plan to.  Wife & I have taken multi thousand mile bike trips on the bike only - no trailer.  Have also done this with the bike on a trailer.  Circumstances dictate this decision for us. Figure is the same for others.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »

Running alongside semis for hours on the interstate isn't my idea of "riding."  Sometimes I trailer long distances and sometimes I don't.  Nice to have the option.  And there were a few times I trailered that I ended up using it when issues came up either with my bike or someone else's.  Don't really GAS what others think about it. :2vrolijk_21:

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 10:53:04 AM »

Hey Hub I need to once again agree with you. For all the die hard's out there I was one of you guys for years. All the grief I gave the trailer queens was unbelievable. But with my old age and body ailments its just not worth it so I can say I "rode". Its a stupid interstate ride anyway, nothing but cagers and hiway at 80mph. Could I ride, sure but until I can get the group to take a different route like maybe US 17 and take the extra time to get there I'm out!

BigLew

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:59:01 AM »

I Have ridden to Daytona, Myrtle Beach ( only 110 miles ), Sturgis, and Laconia , it was a bucket list thing. I have also trailered to the same ones except Laconia. Trailering to Myrtle Beach? Yes due to weather and I didn't want to listen to Susie bitch about the cold driving rain. :D
Anyway, it boils down to how I feel and what the weather is when I get ready to leave.
It also depended on vacation time. Now that I am retired, I usually just ride unless Susie is along, then we might tow or she follows in the cage. I have also been known to not even bring the bike to Maggie Valley for our GTG's. ;D

Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 11:01:39 AM »

Anymore we like to off-road also at our destinations if possible and see things that may have otherwise been missed.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 11:06:34 AM »

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »

Sometimes disposable income comes with age, as does wisdom in some cases too.

Impromptu or planned road trips of days gone by could be done on a budget because that's all one had, if you've got the funds now to travel in safety and comfort then why not?

My last long road trip was from Toronto to the bottom end of Kentucky, the ride down greeted me with the worst unpredicted rainstorm I've ever ridden in, fortunately it wasn't till I crossed the border on my ride home that my motor blew... again.

Wish I had a trailer then.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »

Riding to and from the Ouray GTG last Jun, across Ariz. in 114F temps......if I'd of had access my bike would of had a trailer under it instead of behind it.  The last few years, as I get older, the high temps affect me more and more.  I've gotten heat sick at 90F and it ain't pretty and it ain't fun......it ruins your whole day even after you get in the A/C.

My thoughts are along the lines of what iski wrote above.  For years I just never understood trailering.....it's the journey, not the destination.  Now, I'm no fan of the black slab interestates but I do really like the back roads across America and that's where you really see what this country is.  But, as I've gotten older I do understand that people have different issues (heat, arthritis, cold, rain, snow, etc. etc.) that may affect them more than it affects me and it just kind of makes one a bit more understanding and tolerant aka sensative.  :nixweiss:

I will say this....I've never known a truck and trailer to "get there quicker" than I on a bike, if time is an issue.  I was 64 yrs. old when I rode from Matthews, NC to Coronado, Ca. in two and a half days.  :P   Having said that, I know that not everybody (including a lot of those a lot younger) can ride 1,100 miles a day, two days in a row.  Not judging.....jusayinzall.   :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:28:04 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »

I guess I'll pipe in here......

My first choice is riding to wherever it is we are headed.  I enjoy the Eisenhower Interstate system and use it often.  So far, I've only had to trailer (actually a U-Haul truck) once when we had 16" of snow in East Tennessee and I was in Key West and even then I still rode to Calhoun, GA and hauled from there.  I've ridden as little at 200 miles a day on a trip and as much as 1,200 in a day with all mileage in between and enjoyed every mile, rain or shine, cold or hot (although I prefer cool/cold).

I wave at the bikes I pass (or pass me) as well as most of the folks with trailers hauling the bikes.  Hey, I understand and know that at some point in my life I'll be in the position of trailering to an event.  As I get older, my thoughts for bikes on trailers has softened.  Health, vacation time, family commitments, etc. all are very good reasons to trailer.  I salute everyone that rides at an event/GTG/rally no matter how they may have gotten there.

Keep it between the ditches.....

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 04:24:08 PM »

Believe me, Brothers, if I could ride the distance in one sitting, I would.  The last time I rode to Daytona, was 1991! Arthritus has taken up permanent residence in my joints, especially in the lower extremities, and it definitely limits my time in the saddle.  That's life.  Furthermore, it's comforting to know I've got a way home if my Motor blows!   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD   
I know what you mean.... Arthur & his Righteous Brothers are a MoFo!!!

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 04:48:55 PM »

A lot of really good points so far about people's choice of trailer or ride, and I agree with all of them. One other aspect that you might consider is the bike it's self.  In my case I love to go to different events and GTG's, but with a bike that is 16 years old and starting to get a bit "tired", an aspect of, peace of mind in case of breakdown starts to become a deciding factor as well.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »

We've ridden to Daytona, The Keys, Myrtle Beach, Sturgis, etc, several times, tent camping as we go.  However, we now tend to use a poor man's camper/toy hauler depending on the time allotted.
Besides, my wife like the luxuries..such as an air mattress and coffee pot.  No problem with anyone's method of getting there.
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »

I don't care how you get there. Why anyone thinks "Hey, I paint mine red....you are a dumb, lazy, rich, stupid, etc azz if you don't paint yours red". I ride when I want to and trailer when I don't.......and don't have to make excuses for either.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 08:15:30 AM »

I will say this....I've never known a truck and trailer to "get there quicker" than I on a bike, if time is an issue.  I was 64 yrs. old when I rode from Matthews, NC to Coronado, Ca. in two and a half days.  :P   Having said that, I know that not everybody (including a lot of those a lot younger) can ride 1,100 miles a day, two days in a row.  Not judging.....jusayinzall.   :nixweiss:

I fully agree.  The club I ride with did the Redwoods and then the 101 up to Cape Flattery last summer.  Two of us rode from TN and met up with everyone where they left their trucks and trailers in Salt Lake City.  We left for SLC a day after they did and got there four hours after they did.  We beat them home too.  6880 miles in 16 days.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 08:16:49 AM »

I don't care how you get there. Why anyone thinks "Hey, I paint mine red....you are a dumb, lazy, rich, stupid, etc azz if you don't paint yours red". I ride when I want to and trailer when I don't.......and don't have to make excuses for either.
That's the right attitude,  same thing I think when people question me about wearing a full face helmet

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »

I am not saying trailering is wrong. Some people have no choice, snow, or Arthritis or such.

What I can not fathom in new Ultra Classics on a trailer for 100 miles or 200 miles to Daytona.  Those are lunch ride distances.  Those are bikes made to eat up the miles. 

I have also found many times I can make just as good time on back roads as interstate.  My trip to MI to visit my dad is 580 miles and the only interstate I run is Lexington to Cincinnati, the rest of the trip is US 27.  Its actually on a bike quicker than all interstate.

My observations is over the past 15 years the bikes have got better and more comfortable.  More touring bikes than ever, however its less and less bikes ridden to bike events every year.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 10:19:59 AM »

My observations is over the past 15 years the bikes have got better and more comfortable.  More touring bikes than ever, however its less and less bikes ridden to bike events every year.

Could it be due to the age of the riders?  If you look at the average age of the Harley rider it is pegging past double-nickles so that the aches and pains mentioned in previous posts are coming into play.

Did you only count the Harley riders or the rice burners too?  How about the NAH's (Not-A-Harley) big touring bikes like Victory, Indians, or Polaris?

It is called bike week so all bikes should count.

:oops: :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:23:21 AM by charles05663 »
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 11:00:43 AM »

Rode down to bike we on Wednesday March 9th, a beautiful day.  We went down I-75 from east TN.  In the 628 miles I saw 11 motorcycles on the road headed south.  I did not count after Saint Augustine.  Yet I saw 54 trailers I know for sure were hauling bikes.

Riding home Sunday the 13th, we left at 0600.  We saw several bikes headed north on the way to Jacksonville, but it was still three trailers per every bike.  Did have a MC of 12 bikes pass us like we were parked, and we were running 80mph.

On on I-75 north we saw exactly one bike riding north and over 80 trailers hauling bikes.

Seems every year there are more and more Baggers at Dayton, while at the same time every year there are less and less actually riding to and from Daytona.  So now that we have more comfortable bikes built for touring they trailer them.  Makes no sense.

Yes I understand people North of KY or VA may need to trailer due to weather.  But 28 trailers on Sunday had GA tags, which is less than a 550 mile ride at the farthest point.  6 Trailers with FL takes, two of which were Duval County, a 95 mile ride.

Hi Dave, don't get me wrong because like most are saying "to each their own", but I don't get it. How can you possibly be enjoying "the ride" while scanning every single trailer and counting every one of them while also counting how many are from each state and county, while also complaining about your GPS sending you in the wrong direction all the time? :nixweiss: Just saying.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 11:34:13 AM »

One distinct advantage of trailering at any age is it allows you to bring things along for activities that you couldn’t when riding distance. And time away from work/home is always an issue, besides the expense. Many wives/significant others will put up with our riding habit, but not necessarily embrace being a part of it. One year in Sturgis we trailered three bikes and drove in shifts, about 45-hours road time with stops only for food/gas, so we could spend more time in the Black Hills once we arrived. It still took two weeks of difficult to come by vacation time round trip, which was about the longest I could be away from my office at one time then. On another Sturgis trip I spent a few days in the Badlands with a telescope system under dark sky, which was well worth the effort – certainly couldn’t do that on two wheels. I like riding distance, just getting on the road and going, but my BSR is no fan of hours riding the interstate system, so I go it alone these days if riding out. I’d rather not trailer but sometimes that’s the only way to make it work if the destination is several thousand miles distant.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »

There was a time when I would ride several hundreds of miles one way just to ride and spend the night out, but those days are pretty much gone.

I've been to Sturgis three times and all three have been with a trailered bike.  There is no way that I could get my wife's half dozen pairs of shoes, 40 tops etc.  Now she cannot ride for more than a couple hours without having some major leg and hip pain, so trailering for something like Sturgis is the only way we go.

We will be riding down to the National Meet In The Middle in Eureka next June, so we'll see how well that works out.

I was into streetrods for the past 30 years and there were always the trailer queens, but I can see it the way some of these streetrods have been built and painted.  I would not want to damage anything.  They are actually show cars that run when they get to shows.  On the other hand when I built my Willys coupe, I built it to drive and if it showed well, then icing on the cake...  I put 16k miles on my Willys in just two cruising seasons in MI.  Short summers etc.

Now I just like to go out on the bike for  lazy day of slow touring and cruising back roads etc while listening to my tunes.

As long as we're riding, I don't care how one gets to the destination.  I average between 1200k and 1500k miles each year once I get to Sturgis.  And on the old '76 FL, that's a lot of butt bouncing miles.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 01:00:51 PM »

Here in California we have to cross the Mojave desert just to get out. I'm not too sure I'd force my wife to bake on the back of my bike as we cross the desert in 118 degree heat. She can and has ridden in rain with a rain suit, and cold with heated gear, but desert heat is much too abusive. In this regard a trailer might be a good option for her. And if momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »

And if momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.

You sure got that right Ironhorse...  :nixweiss:

mark

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 08:57:21 PM »

It doesn't concern me how others, that I don't even know, arrive at a bike rally.  Why do you seem to see more trailers: the main customer base of HD is the Baby Boomer Generation and those riders are aging away, have health concerns, can't ride long distances, etc. 

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 09:47:38 PM »

I could care less what anyone else thinks. I have ridden to destinations and trailered to the same one at one time or another. Been to Sturgis twice in the last 6 years, i am not going to bike 4200 miles round trip in 100 degree heat at my age. I have a top-of-the-line trailer that I am very proud of and a SUV with 400hp to pull it so I use it when I want and don't when I want to ride. But once again, I have no value of anyone else's opinion on this matter.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 10:37:47 PM »

Love the comments that people don't care about other people's opinions but the have to state thier opinion, why is that?

Interesting to me is the people that dress / behaive / talk / walk like a biker but don't ride more than a few thousand miles in a year. 

There are bikers and there are "people traveling with their bikes" and they are not to be confused.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 11:05:12 PM »

It was a few years ago now.....at one of the GTGs I walked up on a conversation where I heard a guy say "it's like these people that post that they rode 800 or 1000 miles in a day.  You know that's a bunch of BS.....nobody rides that far in a day".  I've done it more times than I can count and a number of times in the past 12-13 yrs with other members of this forum.  When I heard that conversation I just thought to myself "oh yee of little experience".....but I didn't say anything.

Hell, many times Andy and I have rolled out at 5 am and burned through a tank of gas before we even stop for breakfast.

I don't have to prove my riding experiences to another......just let them keep up, if they can.

Having said that....I've talked with a couple of these same members that I ride with often about the possability of trailering across the Mojave desert (the triple digit temps for 10-12 hours) next year for the MITM.  It's probably the only way I'll be able to make it cuz I'm no longer willing to get heat sick just because I want to go somewhere.  I'll still ride in the rain (when I have to), the cold (down around freezing....or even below, down in the teens), etc. but not the blistering heat.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 11:27:18 PM »

I've talked with a couple of these same members that I ride with often about the possability of trailering across the Mojave desert (the triple digit temps for 10-12 hours) next year for the MITM.  It's probably the only way I'll be able to make it cuz I'm no longer willing to get heat sick just because I want to go somewhere.  I'll still ride in the rain (when I have to), the cold (down around freezing....or even below, down in the teens), etc. but not the blistering heat.

Agreed. Like I said earlier, rain and cold I can take if properly dressed, but that Mojave desert gets harder on me every year. Last year John, Greg, Alan and I Came through Las Vegas with those Aqua Hydo vests. They made it bearable at 106 degrees. Not too sure if they would help in that damn Mojave. For me it's just not worth getting heat sick and passing out. I tried running at night or early in the morning and all I have to say is 118 degrees is 118 degrees, day or night. Only difference is that you don't have the sun beating down on you.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:39 AM »

Love the comments that people don't care about other people's opinions but the have to state thier opinion, why is that?

Interesting to me is the people that dress / behaive / talk / walk like a biker but don't ride more than a few thousand miles in a year. 

There are bikers and there are "people traveling with their bikes" and they are not to be confused.

I think that's tagged "expressing one's self", or it may be akin to "Freedom of speech", in this Country.  Furthermore, I wasn't aware there was a "milage quota" for one to qualify for the ranks of "Biker."  I, and everyone I ride with, have certainly paid our dues to be in that crowd. Some of us, more than others.  Make no mistake......none of us are confused.  Like most of us, I may do things a little different, and look a little different now, than I did in the 70's, but still the same Ol' Creek-Boy Biker.  Like now, I shower and shave regularly, I wash my jeans, (used to be proud of my "Slicks!"), my Bike is legal, (and relatively dependable), I don't carry steel-knucks, or a ball-peen anymore, I carry a Side-Arm, legally, I earned the money I have in my pocket, legally, and there are no Warrants out on me that say....."Time of apprehension....."When Seen."  And today, I can afford a Trailer, which I use mostly to get chit stirred up when I arrive at a GTG!  So..........don't think everybody trailering their Motorsickle is a wannabe.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD               
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:24:09 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2016, 12:19:05 AM »

It was a few years ago now.....at one of the GTGs I walked up on a conversation where I heard a guy say "it's like these people that post that they rode 800 or 1000 miles in a day.  You know that's a bunch of BS.....nobody rides that far in a day".  I've done it more times than I can count and a number of times in the past 12-13 yrs with other members of this forum.  When I heard that conversation I just thought to myself "oh yee of little experience".....but I didn't say anything.

Hell, many times Andy and I have rolled out at 5 am and burned through a tank of gas before we even stop for breakfast.

I don't have to prove my riding experiences to another......just let them keep up, if they can.

Having said that....I've talked with a couple of these same members that I ride with often about the possability of trailering across the Mojave desert (the triple digit temps for 10-12 hours) next year for the MITM.  It's probably the only way I'll be able to make it cuz I'm no longer willing to get heat sick just because I want to go somewhere.  I'll still ride in the rain (when I have to), the cold (down around freezing....or even below, down in the teens), etc. but not the blistering heat.

Very well said. Agree with all your points here.  Have ridden more 1,000+ mile days than I can remember.  Longest was a 2,400 mile ride in 47 hours - straight. Wife & I have done over 700 mile days 2 up.  If you start early, keep at it, and all goes well, it's not as bad some may think it is.  Recall a few conversations with riders who said it was "impossible" for anyone to ride more than 500 or 700 miles in a day.  When I asked why, I learned that was as far as they had ever ridden.  I found that amusing.  Not the distance, the misconceptions are funny.

Heat can be extremely dangerous, especially in desert conditions.  We live in an area with regular torrential rains that can be deadly.  Have ridden in both, more times than I could count.  When on a long trip we just figure whether is better to wait it out or gut up & get it.  When home & just riding to some local spot & the weather is very bad - lately we choose not to ride.  Too many friends have had too many accidents for the risk to be worth it for us.

Trailering is an option for us that we use as we see fit.  I also find it amusing that some think they have The Answer & that they have the only best way.  Riders ride their own rides, the way they each prefer to ride them. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2016, 12:41:55 AM »

1000 miles on the interstate... or how about the Baja 1000... been there done that in '96 and '97. For me it is more about the quality of the ride. I don't know off hand how many miles it is riding for example from Cody over Chief Joseph, Beartooth Highway to Red Bluff and back the same way to Cody. I don't think it is very far, but still a good days ride of high quality. Honestly I do everything I can to stay off the interstate. Sure it has to be taken, but it is generally the least enjoyable. Main thing is have a good time!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2016, 07:13:52 AM »

Could it be due to the age of the riders?  If you look at the average age of the Harley rider it is pegging past double-nickles so that the aches and pains mentioned in previous posts are coming into play.

Did you only count the Harley riders or the rice burners too?  How about the NAH's (Not-A-Harley) big touring bikes like Victory, Indians, or Polaris?

It is called bike week so all bikes should count.

:oops: :nixweiss:
While many riders are aging, younger and younger guys are buying Touring bikes.  When I was in my 30's no one my age rode a bagger.  Today its very popular with 30 and 40 year olds.  I did count all bikes.

Hi Dave, don't get me wrong because like most are saying "to each their own", but I don't get it. How can you possibly be enjoying "the ride" while scanning every single trailer and counting every one of them while also counting how many are from each state and county, while also complaining about your GPS sending you in the wrong direction all the time? :nixweiss: Just saying.

I'm loving the ride, all 33250 miles on this bike so far.  Counting bike, trailers and such was an interesting observation. 

Actually two updates ago on the soft ware the Turn arrow issue was fixed.  Last radio up date the time zone issue was fixed along with the fluctuating volume.  I'm sure harley fixed those issues do the people complaining about them.  I'm glad they did. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2016, 07:22:44 AM »

In the fall of 12, I picked up my 13 CVO King on Thursday afternoon.  Monday morning I was having the 1000 mike service done with just over 1400 miles on it.  A guy was having the 1K done on is 1 year old Ultra. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 07:24:51 AM »

Agreed. Like I said earlier, rain and cold I can take if properly dressed, but that Mojave desert gets harder on me every year. Last year John, Greg, Alan and I Came through Las Vegas with those Aqua Hydo vests. They made it bearable at 106 degrees. Not too sure if they would help in that damn Mojave. For me it's just not worth getting heat sick and passing out. I tried running at night or early in the morning and all I have to say is 118 degrees is 118 degrees, day or night. Only difference is that you don't have the sun beating down on you.

I fully agree, I would rather ride when its 35 degrees than 100 plus degrees.  The heat wears me out far faster.  Most worn out I have been was riding 7 hours in 100 degree heat.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »

Yeah I spent a long trip across the Mohave desert in late May one year.  When I got back to LV I was sicker than a dog. Stopped every 30-45 minutes and drank Gatorade but it did not help.  That desert whip my butt.   It was a beautiful ride but not worth the price.  3 days in the desert was just too much.  I remember the thermometer on the bike read 120 after about 9am.  I am sure it was due to the heat of the black top but, still way to hot.  When I got back to LV the bike almost siezed on the Blvd. had to stop  on a sidewalk and let it cool down.  When the heat stroke set in I almost S*+= my pants, literally!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:48:11 AM by Royalroadie »
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 10:14:02 AM »

At first glace at this thread I thought folks trailered their bikes due primarily to age. Gotta say I now understand there are many good reasons why people trailer their bikes. Interesting thread. Great forum!
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »

Lucky for me I can ride from here to hell and gone, still.  Wife, on the other hand, has limits (and common sense).  It is nearly impossible to go from Texas to either coast without running into inclement weather.  I've been caught in rain, hail, sleet and snow, and if I am never again out in the elements, it will be too soon.

More than one day's distance and we trailer. 

She did volunteer to follow me to the edges of the earth if I really felt like riding, however.  Just as long as there was a hotel room at the end!   Usurped my plans for a toy hauler, she did.  For now, I'll just rent an enclosed trailer for the long trips.

Cheers,

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

oleman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »

Had to jump in here.  Bike or trailer, it don't matter, just get out on the road.  Trailered once to the west coast because of limited time off.   For the rest of my riding,  been two wheels on blacktop.  I have almost 400,000 clocked on Harleys since 1983.  Been in every state in lower 48 and much of Canada using secondary roads as much as possible.  You got to see and smell this country.  Didn't get to ride last year, had knee operation last March and hip replaced in October.  This year is gonna be different.  I'm leaving Maryland on April 18th for Texas and the gulf coast.  By the way, I am 71 years old. Keep riding.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 05:14:04 PM »

400K in 32 years. Nicely done. Congrats!  Wish I could say I had done the same. Enjoy your ride this year and stay safe. Really nice to see someone that actually rides his bike!

Had to jump in here.  Bike or trailer, it don't matter, just get out on the road.  Trailered once to the west coast because of limited time off.   For the rest of my riding,  been two wheels on blacktop.  I have almost 400,000 clocked on Harleys since 1983.  Been in every state in lower 48 and much of Canada using secondary roads as much as possible.  You got to see and smell this country.  Didn't get to ride last year, had knee operation last March and hip replaced in October.  This year is gonna be different.  I'm leaving Maryland on April 18th for Texas and the gulf coast.  By the way, I am 71 years old. Keep riding.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 11:27:14 PM »

I'm loving the ride, all 33250 miles on this bike so far.

That's awesome that you are loving the bike as well as being able to put that many miles (and time) on it. I have only been able to put half that many on my '15.

I am also very happy that HD has fixed the issues... that thread was ridiculously long and irritating for me to read all those unhappy campers. I just did not have all of those problems. I wonder if some of them were isolated to the non-FLHXSE bikes. For example, I never had an issue with the "fluctuating volume." Our bikes do have a different setup when it comes to the amps and speakers. Anyway, cheers and enjoy!
-Howard

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »

As the  FenderBunny would say!!!  "Trailers are for boats Silly Wabbit"
 :huepfenjump3:

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 09:51:28 PM »

Sticker on back of my full face helmet say "Silly Yuppie, Trailers are for Boats"  Have the patch also.  My oldest daughter bought me both.

BSCVO09

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »

I plan riding vacations or car vacations...not gonna trailer a bike just to ride around after I get there. If that's the case it is cheaper to rent a bike for a few days then trailering. That said if you want to trailer I couldn't care less if not great, but I have issue with some of the reasons. One is aches and pains, I don't get that as after 2 hours of riding or driving I am sore and things hurt so what is the difference. And two I have gotten to places just as fast as if I drove the car without a trailer, if I need to be there on a certain day I ride the 4 lane. But either way it's a great life style and until the day I just can't do it any longer I will ride. Bill

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »

If a "WAC" is a lady in the Womens Air Corps, and a "WAVE" is a Lady in the Navy, then what is a
"WOC?" 

It's what you frow at a Wabbit, dummy!  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:58:12 PM by HUBBARD »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2016, 09:49:29 PM »

If a "WAC" is a lady in the Womens Air Corps, and a "WAVE" is a Lady in the Navy, then what is a
WOC?" 

It's what you frow at a Wabbit, dummy!  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD

Sailors ride more WAVE's.......

Retired, USN

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2016, 06:56:38 PM »

;D
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2016, 03:39:59 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 21 queries.