Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Would you loose confidence in a dealer for this?  (Read 3717 times)

JW

• Full CVO Member
Would you loose confidence in a dealer for this?
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:32:31 AM »

My bike was shipped to me damaged, basically had the rear fender replaced.  The tour pack and riders back rest were off when I dropped off the bike.  When I got the bike back, went to put the riders back rest on and couldnt because the support bracket was switched with the bolt in front of it on one side.  Then, after switching that back, I thought it would be prudent to check the other bolts for tightness.  The bolt that holds the front support for the saddlebag wasnt even hand tigthened.

Now its time for the bike to have its 7500 service.  I just dont feel confident in them.  I probably could have talked to the service manager about this, but I dont think that would have changed my confidence level.  I know a guy who is a mechanic at another dealership 120 miles from home, great dealership, he has a great reputation as a mechanic, and nice guy.  I think maybe Ill just take it there to him for my service even thought its a giant pain in my a$$.  Would you do the same?
2005 Cherry SEEG-

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Would you loose confidence in a dealer for this?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:41:39 AM »

i owuld go where you get the best service.   i used to take my SERK to the dealer i bought from. 100+ miles away. it was a good excuse to take a day off. i stoped going there when their service went down hill
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:53:52 AM »

Find a good indy that will give the bike the love that it deserves. This is becoming the norm all to often at dealers these days. They just don't seem to care.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:17:54 AM »

Hi seegmon,
If it was me and this was an isolated incident i would talk to the service manager or owner and get an idea on their reacting to your complaint before I gave up on them or decided to go 120 miles for work.
I can understand your frustration and concern and if this was a pattern of neglect I would switch dealers.
The dealership where I have bought two bikes from and been a steady customer for about 10 years has always treated me with respect and concern. The second HD group in my area has also treated me well even though I have not bought a bike from them either. Yet each dealership group has loyal customers for each as well as disgruntled customers too.
I don't know if some problems are more personality clashes or lack of concern and respect?

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 10:00:45 PM »

If it happens once ... it's a mistake
If it happens twice, it's negligence and you need to take it elsewhere. Even better, if you have the know how, do it yourself & save the receipts (and save yourself some cash) ... then you KNOW it's done right!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 04:04:03 AM »

A couple of years ago, I was very unsatisfied with the competance of the wrenchers and the oversight of the service manager of the HD shops close to me.  Close (135 mile range - 9 shops fall in that range).  I was in the parking lot of a HD shop just shooting the breeze with some unknown, unrelated riders.  I asked the group - about 7 riders - where does one get good mechancial service, since I am not happy with the lot close to where I live.  All of them, I mean every one, looked down and their feet, drew little circles in the ground and responded with their own various sundries of disatisfaction with service they had each received at a HD shop.  Well, I took that response personally, and then set out to find an independant who I felt comfortable with.  I talked to a lot of folks, who have had some speed enhancements done to their bikes and got reccomendations of places I could go and the names of particular mechanics to ask for.  I found one, only 14 miles from home, drove there, showed him my bike, and got to talk for some time about his work philosphy.  I took my bike to him and he fixed all ails that had been done to my bike by a HD shop.  He tuned my bike.  I reccomended him to others, they took their bikes there and they also reported back that they liked the work they had done.  My husband took his bike there and he liked what he had done.

Now since then, the independant has hired a couple of mechanics and a service writer and the level of service has gone down a slight tad, but as long as I am very specific about what I want, I usually get everything I want.  Seems like anything in this world, if you want things done right, you have to do them yourself. 

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 11:25:40 AM »

i go to a dealer that is about an hour away from my house.
there are a couple a little closer, but i feel comfortable with this one.
maybe you should speak to the manager.
i am sure that he wouldn't be too happy if he knew you were considering going somewhere else.
if you feel this way, chances are that others do as well.
the best advertisement is word of mouth.
if you are happy, then you tell others about your great experience.
it is nice to have a dealer you can count on close by.
jmho.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 04:50:33 PM »

Loyalty is built on trust , and it doesn't sound like you can trust these folks , look for a dealer with a good service rep. I'm lucky we have 5 HD dealers in metro atlanta , so it is easy to find one that you can work with.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 07:38:05 PM »

My bike was shipped to me damaged, basically had the rear fender replaced.  The tour pack and riders back rest were off when I dropped off the bike.  When I got the bike back, went to put the riders back rest on and couldnt because the support bracket was switched with the bolt in front of it on one side.  Then, after switching that back, I thought it would be prudent to check the other bolts for tightness.  The bolt that holds the front support for the saddlebag wasnt even hand tigthened.

Now its time for the bike to have its 7500 service.  I just dont feel confident in them.  I probably could have talked to the service manager about this, but I dont think that would have changed my confidence level.  I know a guy who is a mechanic at another dealership 120 miles from home, great dealership, he has a great reputation as a mechanic, and nice guy.  I think maybe Ill just take it there to him for my service even thought its a giant pain in my a$$.  Would you do the same?

Are you talking Big Moose H-D ?   If you are, neither Maverick the GM nor Steve Reynolds the owner would consider what happened to you acceptable. You need to sit down with Maverick and explain what you have posted above. Please post the outcome

B B

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 09:33:37 PM »

Yes, thats the place.

After I wrote this post, I went for a spin with my wife on back, heard a big bang and rattle in my rear fender, obviously something metal flying around in there, and I know I didnt hit anything as I was keeping a eye on the road as I was slowing down for a turn.  I looked, couldnt find anything missing but Im not feeling too warm and fuzzy about my experience with that place.

Frankly, I like everyone I have met at Big moose, seem like real nice people including the little gal who helped fit my wife with a helmet.  But dam, that pizzes me off.

You obviously know them and have had a good experience from your recommendation--and I thank you for giving me those names.  And I can see from the posts on this site that you are a respected guy and the fact that I would like to copy your RG, I am going to go down and talk to one of the folks you mentioned and see what they say.

The mechanic who works 120 miles from my house, I helped him once in a big way, and he would take care of business for me with no worries, its just inconvenient as hell with my long hours.  Probably thats my smarter move.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 04:29:01 PM »

Seegmon,
             I believe Big Moose is closed on Mondays, but 1st thing tomorrow please call Maverick and tell him your story A-Z. Be cool and straight up, don't throw in a bunch of stuff about idiot mechanics etc and I would be very surprised to hear that he doesn't take care of everything for you. Please let us know how this turns out and say hello to Maverick for me.  (Brian Webb)

Good Luck
               B B

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 11:24:07 PM »

Seegmon,

Over the last several years, the local HD service dept. has made a few mistakes on my bike.  Each time they have rectified the situation - after I let them know about it.  All companies have problems from time to time - no such thing as perfection and yeah some things are so obviously wrong at times we wonder why.  The key to good service is how they react when something they did incorrectly is brought to their attention.  In other words - give them a chance to fix their screw ups.

Some have given up on dealers and gone the independent route.  No independent is perfect either so in time it also boils down to: how do they react when something they have done incorrectly is brought to their attention.

If the service dept. at your dealer knows of situations like you describe and does nothing then its time to seek another source for service.  From the comments made by BB it sounds like they are a reputable dealer.  If they do not know about a problem, then they certainly cannot fix it.

This is not exactly a rant but I know lots of folks who ride 100+ miles to other HD service depts. since they do not trust the local one.  I know folks who live in those same areas who ride 100+ miles to other service depts. since they do not trust their local one that out-of-towners are riding 100+ miles to.  Some HD service depts are definitely better than others - no doubt.  Eventually most all complain about the ones they are riding to as well, but there are exceptions.  This appears to be a version of "the grass is always greener in the other pasture" syndrome.  I suppose for some it is an excuse to ride as much as it is seekeing better service. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »

Iski,
       Well stated. I cannot begin to count the times I've heard folks rant about problems like Seegmon has detailed and when asked if they talked to management they said something like " why should I, the damn $%^&%$%^& mechanic should have done it right in the first place "  I've said before, the mechanics ( techs) are human just like you and me. They have their good days and bad and also can get burnt out. Talking out your problems is the only way to ensure that not only do your get your current issue handled, but down the road, you get the quality service you expect and pay for

B B

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »

Iski,
       Well stated. I cannot begin to count the times I've heard folks rant about problems like Seegmon has detailed and when asked if they talked to management they said something like " why should I, the damn $%^&%$%^& mechanic should have done it right in the first place "  I've said before, the mechanics ( techs) are human just like you and me. They have their good days and bad and also can get burnt out. Talking out your problems is the only way to ensure that not only do your get your current issue handled, but down the road, you get the quality service you expect and pay for

B B

Agreed, BB.  Best to move the discussions to the management level at times. I have experienced problems with service managers as well - both bike & auto - and when the owner/GM gets involved, usually a satisfactory resolution can be reached.  Of course, there are exceptions.

Your point about the down the road quality service holds true.  Most all of us want & expect the job to be done right. If the dealer gets it right the first time, it saves them time & money so it is beneficial to them as well as us.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 07:26:05 AM »

In short you need to feel comfortable and confident with whomever is working on your bike. There are way to many scenarios that could go wrong and it would be nice if the wrench catches it instead of contributes to it.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 24 queries.