Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SEARS LIFT 1500 MOTORCYCLE JACK  (Read 9768 times)

TDW

SEARS LIFT 1500 MOTORCYCLE JACK
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »

I am looking at the craftsman professional aluminum 1,500-pound motorcycle jack. Part 009-50191, Cost
$159.99. I will be using it for a 2008 Screamin Eagle Road King. Any recommendations, good or bad.
Thanks TDW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: SEARS LIFT 1500 MOTORCYCLE JACK
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:45:07 PM »

There was a discussion on the site back when the aluminum jack first came out, and the consensus seemed to be that it was too narrow and therefore somewhat unstable.  If I can find that old thread I'll post a link to it for you.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »

Jerry,
I think this is the thread you are speaking of - New Sears Bike Jack.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »

That's the one Gary!  Thanks.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TDW

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 06:39:30 AM »

After reading reviews, Peoples inputs. I will most likely go with the jsjack (http://www.jsjacks.com/?src=overture).

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »

Becaus it is narrow at the end near the pivot it is a bit wobbly, but I always put it on a bike dolly, which I have two, to actually do the work because it is cpmpletely open underneath and the jack is not in the way on one side.  That's how I do it until I move to NC in two years and get a real lift!
Any day on the bike is a good day.

jwygo

• JWYGO
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 105th
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »

Do not buy the Sears Jack.  It is unstable and scary when the bike is lifted.  I've used one for my Road King and got rid of it.  Everytime I raised the bike I was terrified it would fall off. 

I searched this site and found lots of recommendations for the J&S Jack (www.jsjacks.com).  It cost around $400 but it is terrific.  It doesn't need straps.  You can store the bike up in the air and not have the jack under load.  This jack has two arms that lock into position and then you release pressure on the jack with a nice little twisty lever.  Then you just roll your bike around anywhere in the garage you want.  When you want to drop the bike, you just use the lift lever to take load off the two arms, move them out of the way and slowly release the lever.  There is no comparison to the Sears.   

harleydawg57

• Full CVO Member
  • "Raring to go-- but can't go for raring!!"

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG orange/black
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:50:13 PM »

I also have the Sears alum bike lift.  It is a nice lift but it does allow too much front to rear rocking
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
HD six speed-True Duals with Samson slip ons- S & S gear drive cams with oiling fuel pump-power commander-Kuyakyn rear adjustable rider pegs-HD tuner-Hawg-Wired amp and speakers w/Sony Tuner xm sat radio-Boogey Lights

SuperMario

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 03:42:47 PM »

The price is right and it is a breeze to use.  I bought mine just for cleaning my bike and it is a good value.  It does flex a bit, but you get what you pay for.  This is a jack, and isn't designed for serious wrenching.  That's what lifts are for!
Officially old enough to be a Geezer Glide pilot.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 04:25:40 PM »

My advice ?

Go spend the cost of the Sears lift on lumber and a front wheel chock and build an elevated working surface 42" high by 3 feet wide by 8 feet long with a removable ramp. You walk the bike up the ramp with the motor running and in gear and then clamp it down. By a sissors jack for working on the front or back wheels.

B B

Sean M Cary

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 07:20:21 AM »

The price is right and it is a breeze to use.  I bought mine just for cleaning my bike and it is a good value.  It does flex a bit, but you get what you pay for.  This is a jack, and isn't designed for serious wrenching.  That's what lifts are for!

I bought one and took it back...  The rocking back and forth was too much for me.  My J&S arrives on the 22nd. (Thanks Stimulus check!)  :pineapple:

Sean

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 08:10:01 AM »

I'm thinking the J&S jack is the way to go.  I had a cheapo Walmart jack for years.  Finally gave out on me when I was installing the TWR link.  Junked it and bought a J&S.  Very nice jack.  I like how I can put the bike in the air and manuever it wherever I want in the garage.  Very stable.  Excellent for washing wheels and cleaning under the bike.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 07:30:48 PM »

I'm thinking the J&S jack is the way to go.  I had a cheapo Walmart jack for years.  Finally gave out on me when I was installing the TWR link.  Junked it and bought a J&S.  Very nice jack.  I like how I can put the bike in the air and manuever it wherever I want in the garage.  Very stable.  Excellent for washing wheels and cleaning under the bike.
J&S hands down.  Great product.  Great folks to work with.  There's no way I'd push my bike around the garage on my old Sears jack.  On the J&S - it'll move anywhere I want it go by simply pushing or pulling on the engine/bag guards.  No straps, no problems.  Love it!
TC

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »

Truth be told, there's no substitute for a table lift which is why I suggested the lumber and wheel chock route as a cheaper means of accomplishing the same thing. I've got a handy BOB 1500, but Beagle bought a Western Mfgr which is a knockoff of the Handy and damn near as good for a lot less money. Even though I've got a monster compressor, you can actually run a table lift on a small portable compressor. Check out Western Mfg, Beagle

B B

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »

Truth be told, there's no substitute for a table lift which is why I suggested the lumber and wheel chock route as a cheaper means of accomplishing the same thing. I've got a handy BOB 1500, but Beagle bought a Western Mfgr which is a knockoff of the Handy and damn near as good for a lot less money. Even though I've got a monster compressor, you can actually run a table lift on a small portable compressor. Check out Western Mfg, Beagle

B B

Got one of those too.........albeit mine is a Handy SAM 1000.  Certainly makes it easier on the back when working on the motorcycles.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.